Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
elangLCFC

Who is Bernie?

I am pretty sure his wife died years ago, he went downhill since then.

Have you seen his new addition to his MON jacket. Pearson has been added!

It's sad really.

There obviously isn't anybody to look after him or he wouldn't be in the state he's in.

He's a real character though.

The kids and me Arrived early at Birmingham away last year and we were milling about the away fans car park .Bernie arrives and I must admit the kids were a bit frightened of him,and they are not shy kids,but he did come up and say to the kids have a good day and be generally nice,just as they relaxed he was given his klaxon and Aaaaaaaggggghhhhh impressions.My youngest said" that dwarf is funny" or something like that.

Think he can seem intimidating to some but is harmless .Did I read he is in some sort of sheltered accommodation and someone is in charge of giving him his allowance ,which he spends on football.

He used to be an accountant didn't he?

Must've had his brain fried by pop and maybe other substances.

Let's get this straight, he's not a 'lad' 'hero' 'legend' or anything else like that. He's a bloody embarassment. There are people a lot more normal than him who have been sectioned where the missis works.

He's clearly not a well man mentally.

I cringe when I see people filming and goading him like a performing seal.

It's sad really.

There obviously isn't anybody to look after him or he wouldn't be in the state he's in.

He's a real character though.

I don't know if you've ever actually spent time with him but he laps up the attention. He's happy to pose for photos and he doesn't seem bothered about anything.

He's harmless and it's harsh to call him an embarrassment. There's nothing wrong with having characters like that supporting us. I think he's a great laugh and the reaction when he burst into the pub at Derby sums it up. People were absolutely euphoric lol Why would you want him 'sectioned' when he's so accepted by people?

I'm sure I read a while ago that he did have a carer.

I don't know if you've ever actually spent time with him but he laps up the attention. He's happy to pose for photos and he doesn't seem bothered about anything.

He's harmless and it's harsh to call him an embarrassment. There's nothing wrong with having characters like that supporting us. I think he's a great laugh and the reaction when he burst into the pub at Derby sums it up. People were absolutely euphoric lol Why would you want him 'sectioned' when he's so accepted by people?

I'm sure I read a while ago that he did have a carer.

I'm not saying he should be sectioned just that there are people more normal than him who have been. I find him embarrassing though I'd never shun him if he decided to come up and have a proper conversation with me one day.

He obviously doesn't click that people laugh at him and not with him unfortunately. If my post does seem harsh on him fair enough, (I do feel some sympathy towards him) but he's still not a 'legend' or whatever by any stretch.

I'm not saying he should be sectioned just that there are people more normal than him who have been. I find him embarrassing though I'd never shun him if he decided to come up and have a proper conversation with me one day.

He obviously doesn't click that people laugh at him and not with him unfortunately. If my post does seem harsh on him fair enough, (I do feel some sympathy towards him) but he's still not a 'legend' or whatever by any stretch.

Any man at his age and clear issues, that goes to most games is a legend in my eyes.

A man that yes is a bit eccentric but will go into a pub full of away fans and give them banter on his own is a legend.

I don't know Bernie but he seems to be lonely, and a bit of a sad sorry about his wife not being here anymore, and he doesn't look very well cared for, and going down city and acting like he does just might be the only pleasure he has left in life.

So in my eyes the bloke is a legend.

I remember a few years ago when we went to Bristol Rovers, he had booked on Fox travel. He wandered up to the steward on bus No 1 and asked what bus he was on, No 7 came the reply, off Bernie wandered looking for bus 7. Don't know how long it took him to realise there were only 6 buses going.

Give him his dues though he still turns up at away games travelling by train don't know how he works out which train to get on though.

You don't get sectioned for being eccentric and behaving oddly, whatever the reason.

You get sectioned if, due to your mental state, your behaviour causes a serious risk of harm to yourself or to others....neither of which seems to apply to Bernie.

I've never seen him act aggressively towards anyone (well, verbally towards absent Derby fans etc) and his behaviour is so off the wall that he's probably not even at much risk from opposing fans. If he somehow moderated his behaviour, he'd probably be at more risk....as it is, he adds a bit of harmless entertainment to people's lives, and I hope that he enjoys his own life and his football, in his own way. Whether his conduct is due to mental health issues or booze (or both), I don't suppose he's likely to change much after this long. Just hope he's happy on some level - which he often seems to be. Cheers, Bernie!

You don't get sectioned for being eccentric and behaving oddly, whatever the reason.

You get sectioned if, due to your mental state, your behaviour causes a serious risk of harm to yourself or to others....neither of which seems to apply to Bernie.

I've never seen him act aggressively towards anyone (well, verbally towards absent Derby fans etc) and his behaviour is so off the wall that he's probably not even at much risk from opposing fans. If he somehow moderated his behaviour, he'd probably be at more risk....as it is, he adds a bit of harmless entertainment to people's lives, and I hope that he enjoys his own life and his football, in his own way. Whether his conduct is due to mental health issues or booze (or both), I don't suppose he's likely to change much after this long. Just hope he's happy on some level - which he often seems to be. Cheers, Bernie!

That's my point though. We all know what he's like and to ignore him or whatever. I'd fear for his well being if he ended up in a Millwall pub giving it large.

That's my point though. We all know what he's like and to ignore him or whatever. I'd fear for his well being if he ended up in a Millwall pub giving it large.

Even if you were an opposing fan and had never heard of him, it would immediately become apparent what he was like!

That's my point in saying that he'd actually be at more risk if he somehow moderated his behaviour.

I suppose that some particularly gormless opposing fans might take the piss out of him or try to wind him up (and probably end up looking stupid themselves as a result)...but I can't believe that even the worst Millwall fans would gain much kudos from attacking a very small, very old man in stinking clothes and a fez who was shouting "Who the **** are Derby?!" in a high-pitched voice (my experience of him yesterday). Any one of us, even behaving discreetly, would probably be at higher risk.

Even if you were an opposing fan and had never heard of him, it would immediately become apparent what he was like!

That's my point in saying that he'd actually be at more risk if he somehow moderated his behaviour.

I suppose that some particularly gormless opposing fans might take the piss out of him or try to wind him up (and probably end up looking stupid themselves as a result)...but I can't believe that even the worst Millwall fans would gain much kudos from attacking a very small, very old man in stinking clothes and a fez who was shouting "Who the **** are Derby?!" in a high-pitched voice (my experience of him yesterday). Any one of us, even behaving discreetly, would probably be at higher risk.

This is true, the opposition fans don't take him seriously and certainly feel it would be a waste of energy to have him beaten up... they would just look like idiots if they did so.

He used to be an accountant didn't he?

Must've had his brain fried by pop and maybe other substances.

Let's get this straight, he's not a 'lad' 'hero' 'legend' or anything else like that. He's a bloody embarassment. There are people a lot more normal than him who have been sectioned where the missis works.

Surely watching Leicester play last season would have been enough, no need to section him

Archived