Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Records - A job for someone bored at work.

Hi Guys,

Hope you all are enjoying the season so far as much as I am and are actually chuckling everytime we get a penalty now. On that note, I think 8 penalties so far is a huge amount as I'm sure we only had about 8 over the last two seasons together. So, it got me thinking as to what is the record amount of penalties a team has won in the modern day English game and is this a record we can have. I like us having records. 

So, who is bored at work and looking for a reason to skive on Google?

Man City in the 1971/72 season had 15 according to an article I found about Palace's high number of penalties in the 2004/05 season. I don't know if that's a top flight record only though.

We're on course to absolutely batter that and to be honest, it isn't fluke is it? There's a degree of luck to it but I've said for a while there's an art to it and we've clearly worked on it over the summer. Notice how the 8 penalties have been won by a mere 4 players - all pacey ones too. I think it's no co-incidence and whilst I don't expect us to get them at this rate all season, I can see plenty more on the way.

Man City in the 1971/72 season had 15 according to an article I found about Palace's high number of penalties in the 2004/05 season. I don't know if that's a top flight record only though.

We're on course to absolutely batter that and to be honest, it isn't fluke is it? There's a degree of luck to it but I've said for a while there's an art to it and we've clearly worked on it over the summer. Notice how the 8 penalties have been won by a mere 4 players - all pacey ones too. I think it's no co-incidence and whilst I don't expect us to get them at this rate all season, I can see plenty more on the way.

Yep, quality through balls, quality balls in the box and direct running with pace, opponents have 2 choices, hack us down or give us a free shot at goal. A lot are choosing the former.

The only luck involved is the standard of the referee we get and whether he gives it or not.

Yep, quality through balls, quality balls in the box and direct running with pace, opponents have 2 choices, hack us down or give us a free shot at goal. A lot are choosing the former.

The only luck involved is the standard of the referee we get and whether he gives it or not.

I'd say the only one that was 50/50 was the one on De Laet against Blackburn.

In-fact, I'd argue that we've actually had more potential penalties turned down, than wrongly awarded to us. Could've definitely had another in the last two games.

I'd say the only one that was 50/50 was the one on De Laet against Blackburn.

In-fact, I'd argue that we've actually had more potential penalties turned down, than wrongly awarded to us. Could've definitely had another in the last two games.

Agree with that, nice to see we are getting them on our travels as well. As an aside, id like to know what thw record is for most consecutive penalties in games is.

and that was all due to Zaha's style of play and why Glenn Murray scored so many. So maybe Vardy, Dyer, De Laet etc... are our Zaha's.

Are you saying that Vardy, Dyer and De Laet are worth £15 million? £5 million each, I'd take it, someone give Moyes a ring.

How long before Zaha is out on loan to another Championship club?

These records could work against us. People/refs could assume we're divers and make it less likely we'll get them in the future. We might actually start diving if we're chasing the record. It's not the sort of thing we should be making a big deal of.

Archived