Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Neville and Giggs set to complete deal for non-league club

Near enough, The salford fans don't seem to mind and they want it to happen. It will be a massive boost to the football club. 

Of course they do most fans thesedays do, sod the history, sod the stability, let's go for it and if the club goes bankrupt in a few years so what?

They are actually using it as a way to get kids from Manchester off the streets and give their lives a chance through football. My cousin is a community coach in Salford and the plans they have for Salford City is to build an academy structure so that players come up through the ranks and represent the club in the future. People don't realise how big football is in Manchester it is completely different to a smaller city like Leicester and it's basically a religion there.

Guest MattP

Or why don't they just start their own club from scratch like Beckham is doing.

It's easier to do if you're Beckham but at least he's actually creating something. I've got no problem at all with what Beckham's doing. This is ripping up a small, local club to dedicate to yourselves. It's like Izzet, Lennon, Walsh & Elliott buying Hinckley, calling it 'Hinckley 2000' and propelling it up the leagues through some uneven backing.

I'm amazed that this lot were like that.

Beckham is charge of anything is going to be a disaster though.

I'll always been convinced he would manage to blow his fortune through a combination of vanity and stupidity and I think this is going to be it.

lol @ all the tarts in here acting like they're tearing up history. They're starting about as far down as you can go ffs, in a town where there is no full-time team to call their own. Get a grip, these guys have the money and the pulling power to buy a league club and do whatever the **** they want with it, and they're not.

Not very often you see ex footballers putting money back into the game. I have always thought why this does not happen more often, especially with the amount of money the top (and some not very top) players earn. Most i would have thought have a passion for the game and would be able to have a more hands on effect for a club rather than just being a coach or manager.

I think it's a great idea, former pros who have made a mint out of the game putting back in to a grass roots club. Would be great if more did it, Imogene if we go up, playing games regularly on a Sunday and midweek and on a Saturday afternoon you could go and watch Oadby or Barwell who are owned by Walsh, Heskey, Joachim etc..

Okay then, tell me about how some experienced footballers investing in a small local club are going to "sod the history" by getting them into the football league.

Changing the name for one, isn't that a historical change?

Changing the name for one, isn't that a historical change?

They've only been Salford City since the 80's? So they're hardly burning the history books, in fact they're not even changing the name.

Delighted to be part of @salfordcityfc in the future! For clarity - No name change/ no ground change and management and committee as before!

So what's your issue now?

They've only been Salford City since the 80's? So they're hardly burning the history books, in fact they're not even changing the name.

Delighted to be part of @salfordcityfc in the future! For clarity - No name change/ no ground change and management and committee as before!

So what's your issue now?

No doubt they've seen sense there then, lets hope they don't pump a load of money in then get bored a few years down the line and the club financially collapses....it happens, and their fans should be wary, that's all.

Read the twitter statement seems they aren't even changing the name, but yes the club has very little history and the name hasn't been around for long. This is a chance to grow the club and create some history, I have respect for those that have taken over and believe they aren't going to run it into the ground

Seems like a good idea to me. Nothing wrong with people buying small football clubs and trying to make a go of it. The fact that they are ex-footballers with a strong local connection just makes it even better. People are forever complaining about foreign owners who "aren't football people" taking over big clubs, well here's your perfect antidote. Good luck to them.

• 4 months later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-scholes-vows-class-92-4023292

No surprise.

They'll probably whack a load of dosh at them see them through the divisions, only question for how long and what happens after that? A nostalgia tour to promote a brand in development, I'm sure 99% of the fans are loving it but seem to fail to realise this has happend before and it ends in tears most of the time.  I just hope that when it ends they club won't fold.

I suppose looking at it in a positive light it could be am incredible few years ahead and if the money is pulled out then maybe they would end up back where they were. 

Phil Neville was interviewed on Test Match Special yesterday and he said they'd been playing in a fundraising game there. Surely they've got enough dosh between them to not rely on outside investment?

Can't see it being sustainable anyhow. Salford's a red heartland and Man United fans looking for a more affordable football experience already have an alternative to Old Trafford on tap in the form of FC United.

Archived