Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Union FS

Haha yeah I was speaking to your Dad briefly next to the bar just before we left the pub. I was the lad in the navy Fred Perry jacket.

Think you came over & stood on our row in the second half?

Was I boring the life out of you about going to Wembley in 1966? If so I apologise, if not you had a lucky escape! Good you dropped in though, stick with these Union FS lads, they are a good bunch.

And yes, Tom (Sol the wall) did desert me and move over 2nd half.

Edited by steveherbe

Union FS: You all seem like you've got your hearts in the right place and the rap you get is pretty unfair in my view. Your goals are crystal clear - to improve the atmosphere and get behind the team and you've always from the start welcomed others to join the group. It's hard to take anything negative from that but I read more comments against you than in your favour. A few things you might want to take on board

1) you don't seem to have clear leadership, which is essential for this type of group. You need 1 or 2 older lads with a loud voice and a strong personality to call the shots and get things going. You also need this to he rid of the bunch of kids tag that you've picked up.

2) you need to get more local fans on board. You're impact is very limited when most of you are all scattered round the country as there's not much consistency in who attends games and the social side is restricted to match days

3) you need to lose the "Union FS" veil of secrecy. Post in your own names and it comes across to other fans as a lot more genuine and personal than hiding behind an alias.

Feel free to tell me to feck off. Hope some of it helps though and good luck.

Union FS: You all seem like you've got your hearts in the right place and the rap you get is pretty unfair in my view. Your goals are crystal clear - to improve the atmosphere and get behind the team and you've always from the start welcomed others to join the group. It's hard to take anything negative from that but I read more comments against you than in your favour. A few things you might want to take on board

1) you don't seem to have clear leadership, which is essential for this type of group. You need 1 or 2 older lads with a loud voice and a strong personality to call the shots and get things going. You also need this to he rid of the bunch of kids tag that you've picked up.

2) you need to get more local fans on board. You're impact is very limited when most of you are all scattered round the country as there's not much consistency in who attends games and the social side is restricted to match days

3) you need to lose the "Union FS" veil of secrecy. Post in your own names and it comes across to other fans as a lot more genuine and personal than hiding behind an alias.

Great post Vicki V - it's great to see some constructive comments about the group rather than those having a needless pop for no apparent reason.

As a founder, I'll try and answer a few of the points whilst addressing your third one from perhaps a more personal viewpoint.

1) It's very hard to get rid of the 'kids' tag despite it being plainly wrong. The fact is the vast majority are mid-to-late 20s and the records we hold show that there are as many over 40s as there are under 18s in the group. Unfortunately if people want to label us as kids, then that's their (rather blind) opinion and they are entitled to it. Take your point about leadership on matchdays but you have to balance that with not dismissing others when they start songs. We had some feedback on this in another thread.

2) In fairness this has been addressed this season as the majority of us have season tickets regardless of where we are based. The bigger problem is that we were unable to come to an agreement with the club on selling tickets to our members in the same area of SK1 so many of the group are scattered across the back in too wide of an area. Hopefully we can change this next season.

3) See what you mean about an alias but we took the decision to only post officially from the Union FS account having learnt from what happened with the Fosse Boys. Unfortunately some of that group took exception to some of the more critical comments and it reflected really badly on the group as a whole. Football is a passionate game and people will always have opinions - the group won't ever deny anyone that but it's important to show that the group are united behind one focal account which they know they can control.

Thanks again for your comments - I'd be interested in hearing from you more!

The social side of things away from the ground is going to develop naturally the more lads who already know each other get to know those they don't. We're an inviting bunch and people know where we drink pre-match. These things take time.

As C-Man said, if people are going to take the word of one or two anonymous people on an internet forum as gospel rather than actually come and meet us to discuss their ideas in person, there ain't an awful lot we can do.

If I was a "kid" I wouldn't have such a troubling hairline in any case...

Wahay, I'm a 62 year old kid! And my real name is not steveherbe- there are 2 more letters on the end. So you haven't bothered to get to know the group at all. Just come and join in, as I've said on another thread, these young men are a highly intelligent bunch who enjoy a good day out. And if they'll put up with me, they will tolerate anyone. And I guess your real name isnt Vicki Vixen? See, I'd take you a bit more seriously if you'd post under your real name

Edit: Read point 3 again, now I see what you mean. Use real user names rather than posting as union FS. Now I geddit. Alzheimers is a bastard!!

Edited by steveherbe

In fairness, I don't understand this clique or veil of secrecy argument at all.

Union FS make every effort to publicise which pub they will be meeting in pre-match, where to buy tickets to stand with the group and will respond to emails with the name of the sender themselves.

That hardly sounds like a cliquey, closed group to me.

Great post Vicki V - it's great to see some constructive comments about the group rather than those having a needless pop for no apparent reason.

As a founder, I'll try and answer a few of the points whilst addressing your third one from perhaps a more personal viewpoint.

1) It's very hard to get rid of the 'kids' tag despite it being plainly wrong. The fact is the vast majority are mid-to-late 20s and the records we hold show that there are as many over 40s as there are under 18s in the group. Unfortunately if people want to label us as kids, then that's their (rather blind) opinion and they are entitled to it. Take your point about leadership on matchdays but you have to balance that with not dismissing others when they start songs. We had some feedback on this in another thread.

2) In fairness this has been addressed this season as the majority of us have season tickets regardless of where we are based. The bigger problem is that we were unable to come to an agreement with the club on selling tickets to our members in the same area of SK1 so many of the group are scattered across the back in too wide of an area. Hopefully we can change this next season.

3) See what you mean about an alias but we took the decision to only post officially from the Union FS account having learnt from what happened with the Fosse Boys. Unfortunately some of that group took exception to some of the more critical comments and it reflected really badly on the group as a whole. Football is a passionate game and people will always have opinions - the group won't ever deny anyone that but it's important to show that the group are united behind one focal account which they know they can control.

Thanks again for your comments - I'd be interested in hearing from you more!

Thanks for the measured reply. Good luck pal

Not sure what was up with SK1 yesterday, we arrived around 2:30 to hear nothing but silence...where was the singing to encourage the players during warm up?

Not sure who is behind UFS but seems to be fizzling out a little. Seemed like at the back end of last season and pre season things were picking up and they had some great ideas but the novelty has worn off, very reminiscent of the Fosse Boys.

The main problem( same with the Fosse Boys) is that those sitting central in UFS seem to think they are the dogs bollox and each game that goes on their ego and self importance grows, a couple examples of this were displayed yesterday. 

That awful DD chant, it was more cringe than singing right side/left side. There must have been 8-10 people singing one song that sounded pathetic, rather than think "this isn't taking off lads" instead we will continue it...which in turn got the response from me and many others of shit song.

This was later echoed by the awful LSF chant which I can only liken to sounding like a pack of ******.

Iwan was a welshman...got sang more often than songs for our current squad, doesn't get joined in with as half the fans up there were not even born when Iwan played for us. Same applies with Molly Malone and tiptoe through, fans simply do not know them! Alright for us older folk who grew up at Filbo but for the modern fan these do not work.

Nigel Pearson chants have not taken off all season, why is there so little vocal support for our manager? 

Also seems like no song can begin without a slow hand clap.

Unfortunately we will see this type of atmosphere more often this season as people only turn up for the bigger games. I await the response of if the songs are shit try something yourself, well people did try to do this several times but as we know if a chant is not started by UFS then it doesn't get given a chance.

This is a terrible post. No idea where you're getting 'self-importance' from. The rest of it is just opinion that will be shared by very few.

How can you say it's fizzling out? The Man Utd game was the best atmosphere we've ever had at the ground. That was the home match before Burnley.

I can't believe anyone can slag off Union FS. They are the best thing to happen to our fanbase for years. While most of the ground was just waiting for us to win for 90 minutes the people in the SK1 corner were the only ones giving it a go. I think that's great. If you don't then you're a cvnt.

The bloke saying 'shit song' was just embarrassed that he was too stupid and impatient to learn the words so he couldn't join in (I don't know the words properly yet, but that doesn't make it a shit song, you just need to give it time, that's why they keep singing certain songs you utter cretin - if they gave up after two verses nobody would ever join in. Christ you are thick).

Let's have an example of one chant that was tried by somebody else then. Cos I didn't hear any.

Not every song is going to land, but thank god we have some fans who aren't just moaning, miserable morons sitting there and doing nothing.

Well done to Union FS, I can't pick fault at all with you guys thus far, it's not your fault the rest of the ground aren't up for it.

In fairness, I don't understand this clique or veil of secrecy argument at all.

Union FS make every effort to publicise which pub they will be meeting in pre-match, where to buy tickets to stand with the group and will respond to emails with the name of the sender themselves.

That hardly sounds like a cliquey, closed group to me.

The only thing that comes across as cliquey is having a flag above our heads in my opinion. I'm not saying it looks bad at all, but that's how so many seem to view it. I found a lot of people to be cynical when it came to the Fosse Boys and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same this time around.

I ultimately don't think we're going a great deal wrong. Saturday was poor, but that was down to a few things.

The only thing that comes across as cliquey is having a flag above our heads in my opinion. I'm not saying it looks bad at all, but that's how so many seem to view it. I found a lot of people to be cynical when it came to the Fosse Boys and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same this time around.

I ultimately don't think we're going a great deal wrong. Saturday was poor, but that was down to a few things.

Saturday was terrible but how the hell can anyone blame Union FS for that??

'The atmosphere was shit, so were Union FS, I didn't sing though'

Brilliant logic.

I love the flags Dan,my only issue is there isn't enough of them.Im actually thinking of getting another one done as well.Did people comment about them to you?

I love the flags Dan,my only issue is there isn't enough of them.Im actually thinking of getting another one done as well.Did people comment about them to you?

It's nothing I've got a problem with at all as I also like flags, I just remember reading about the Fosse Boys at the time they had a flag above their heads and they got a bit of stick for it saying it comes across as cliquey.

Saying that I think the Fosse Boys could find a cure for ebola and some fans would've still slagged them off for it.

It's nothing I've got a problem with at all as I also like flags, I just remember reading about the Fosse Boys at the time they had a flag above their heads and they got a bit of stick for it saying it comes across as cliquey.

Saying that I think the Fosse Boys could find a cure for ebola and some fans would've still slagged them off for it.

I didn't think you had a problem,I just thought maybe some miserable bastard had said something.

Where do you get flags made?

I know a bloke that prints almost anything but fire retardant flags ain't cheap.Union FS got a good deal on there's,email them if your thinking of getting one made.

To answer Basingstoke fox's question,the club said that any flag must be fire retardant.I got mine made and emailed Jim at fanzone,he got back to me and asked me for a picture of the flag and it's fire certificate.I sent both in and never heard a thing since,so I though fvck it i've spent enough it's going up.Four games in and nothing has been said even though we had 3 up last Saturday.

Anyone who genuinely wants to enjoy the games and contribute to creating a good atmosphere, just meet the group at the Swan and Rushes.  You'll find a really smart, welcoming bunch of lads.  I travel on my own from Cov and have no issues with walking in the pub and sitting with them.  

Whilst sitting down and chatting with a couple last week I quickly realised that all 3 of us were from the same profession!  I didn't know any of this lot until recently (still can't remember many of their names though!) but now I know that I can walk into the pub any home game and join in with a few beers, some serious teamtalk chat on the way to the ground and then a good sing during the game. I even got away with standing in the aisle all game in front of Gaz's flag last Sat - thanks again buddy! 

It's early days but so far the season has been great (Burnley was a tad flat at times granted) and I look forward to more good Saturday afternoons with UFS.

• Like 4

Think there is another one on its way, Tom has designed a beauty! Purchasing from Poland I believe.

Edited by steveherbe