Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

The blokes taking it in tomorrow and going to look at replacing the motherboard.

I had the same problem when I installed some new memory. Took it out, got it replaced and worked ever since. Dunno if this helps though...

does anyone know of any software to reduce the size of a movie, similar to a converter reducing an mp3's bit rate thus reducing the size of the file?

It depends what format the original is in. Yes dvdshrink is good but it will only compress dvd files. There are other converters which shrink and convert to new formats such as winavi. What are you trying to shrink and for what reason?

HELP!

Just downloaded a demo for a game off the net and just as I go to play it I get this error message:

"Failed to initialize the 3D engine. Please check that your video and motherboard drivers are recent"

Any tips or hints or pointers to potential driver downloads would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

dandannieldanok

No I was in a lazy mode, now I've got my laptop I'm watching the TV at the same time and rather wishing my 'View new Posts' Foxestalk page would refresh so I could spot new posts.

:P:D

you can run opera (browser)

right click the page and set it to how often you want refresh / reload

1 sec - 30 mins

HELP!

Just downloaded a demo for a game off the net and just as I go to play it I get this error message:

"Failed to initialize the 3D engine. Please check that your video and motherboard drivers are recent"

Any tips or hints or pointers to potential driver downloads would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

dandannieldanok

check what graphics card you r running then go to there website check 4 latest drivers

if u r running xp make sure u got latest direct x installed

presuming that your running xp

right click my computer

manage

device manger

expand plus: for display adapters

google name to link to website then check latest drivers for ur spec

I've come unstuck at the expansion of the display adapters, it doesn't seem to be there. :dunno: My computer is really pissing me off now. :angry:

something is seriously not right with your pc then, more than likely not the fault of the pc but windows, you may need to look at the back of your pc and find out where your graphics card is situated, if its near to where you plug in your keyboard/mouse/usb/audio, then its an onboard model, if its connection point is located in a horizontal slot towards the bottom of the pc, expansion bay slots, away from the keyboard / usb / mouse/ etc, then its an expansion card

if its an expansion card its just a case of opening the case and finding out what make of board it is, likely to be ATi or nvidia, then u need to go to the card makers website and get the latest drivers

if its an onboard solution, your best bet is to try and identify the motherboard make/model number and get the relevant drivers for it, if this is the case, sisoft sandra is a hardware interrogation tool, looks a little complicated if your not used to it but it is good for getting the right data you need

if you need any help get back to me

Edited by JadeFalcon

Does anyone know what the standard VGA driver is for a windows xp? If you do do you know where I can download it?

Thanks

I take it you can access the Internet.

Just google VGA driver download and you'll see loads.

Yeay!

Just finished my first home-build PC. It didn't blow up, Vista has installed fine and everything seems to be working ok. I spent an age researching this, getting the right components etc.

I was quite surprised at actually how quick it was to put together - about 2 hours (fiddly) labour. Now I've just got to tinker with BIOS and the motherboard options, the fans and then find my way around the brand new OS.

Of course, it could all go horribly wrong, but I've built myself a basic system for a fraction of the off-the-shelf price and can now upgrade to my hearts content.

[/smug]

Yeay!

Just finished my first home-build PC. It didn't blow up, Vista has installed fine and everything seems to be working ok. I spent an age researching this, getting the right components etc.

I was quite surprised at actually how quick it was to put together - about 2 hours (fiddly) labour. Now I've just got to tinker with BIOS and the motherboard options, the fans and then find my way around the brand new OS.

Of course, it could all go horribly wrong, but I've built myself a basic system for a fraction of the off-the-shelf price and can now upgrade to my hearts content.

[/smug]

Surprising what you can do when you're laid up with an incurable disease shingles, isn't it?

Well done :thumbup:

presuming that your running xp

right click my computer

manage

device manger

expand plus: for display adapters

google name to link to website then check latest drivers for ur spec

its usually 3rd from the top in the device manager list

Computer

Disk Drives

Display Adapters

DVD/CD-ROM Drives

something is seriously not right with your pc then, more than likely not the fault of the pc but windows, you may need to look at the back of your pc and find out where your graphics card is situated, if its near to where you plug in your keyboard/mouse/usb/audio, then its an onboard model, if its connection point is located in a horizontal slot towards the bottom of the pc, expansion bay slots, away from the keyboard / usb / mouse/ etc, then its an expansion card

if its an expansion card its just a case of opening the case and finding out what make of board it is, likely to be ATi or nvidia, then u need to go to the card makers website and get the latest drivers

if its an onboard solution, your best bet is to try and identify the motherboard make/model number and get the relevant drivers for it, if this is the case, sisoft sandra is a hardware interrogation tool, looks a little complicated if your not used to it but it is good for getting the right data you need

if you need any help get back to me

I take it you can access the Internet.

Just google VGA driver download and you'll see loads.

Thanks for all your help guys, I've managed to download a suitable driver :thumbup:

This may sound incredibly dumb on my part but I was downloading a patch for something, what does that exactly mean? :doh:

Thanks for all your help guys, I've managed to download a suitable driver :thumbup:

This may sound incredibly dumb on my part but I was downloading a patch for something, what does that exactly mean? :doh:

Like a fix, upgrade!

EG Sigames (football manager) release patches, so it can fix bugs and things like that in the game, so the patch you wil have downloaded will be fixing errors found in your drivers!

You may notice them or you may not!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure whether anybody knows anything but it's worth a punt:

Recently I've just bought a new laptop, so now the operating system is Vista.

I've currently got a Creative Zen Micro MP3 player and the current software won't work on Vista <_<

I'm pretty sure it's a new driver I need to download but I can't find anything on the Creative website that makes sense to me.

Basically I was just wondering if anybdy has had the same problem and whether they were able to sort it out?

Any help would be gratefully received ;)

Technically I'm special needs. Can anyone tell me how to use a jpeg in a post.I seem to get stuck after pressing on insert image icon

First you need to host the image somewhere on the web.

imageshack.us and photobucket.com are two of the most popular free image hosting sites.

You upload your pictures to one of these sites, and copy the URL of the hosted picture. The information you need is usually displayed on your screen once the image is successfully uploaded. At photobucket (and probably imageshack too, actually) they even include the url with [ IMG ] tags - which you can just copy straight into your post without clicking the 'Insert Image' icon.