Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Philly Fox

USA Foxes

I feel like we've been on NBC Gold more than any other team in the premier league. I guess it's good that I'm getting my money's worth, but still the two games on TV are Brighton/Crystal palace and Everton/Swansea. Those 4 teams have some relative safety from relegation. Everton and Brighton are likely playing for nothing but pride. Meanwhile Burnley and Leicester actually have something to play for.

3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I feel like we've been on NBC Gold more than any other team in the premier league. I guess it's good that I'm getting my money's worth, but still the two games on TV are Brighton/Crystal palace and Everton/Swansea. Those 4 teams have some relative safety from relegation. Everton and Brighton are likely playing for nothing but pride. Meanwhile Burnley and Leicester actually have something to play for.

I was also surprised that, with two games on, we weren’t picked.  I prefer the cable feed because I have been disappointed with the technical quality of the streaming.  It’s decent on my phone, but I am usually at home and want a bigger screen.  Even via broadband hardwire, sound and picture are not consistent.

The longer I watch, the more gap-prone and stop-action the video becomes.  I have to re-initialize the stream at least once per half (and now have to watch a commercial before I rejoin the game, behind the action).

I suppose I will re-up because the price per match has been reasonable and the alternatives are poor.  Anybody else’s take on this?

8 hours ago, KingsX said:

I was also surprised that, with two games on, we weren’t picked.  I prefer the cable feed because I have been disappointed with the technical quality of the streaming.  It’s decent on my phone, but I am usually at home and want a bigger screen.  Even via broadband hardwire, sound and picture are not consistent.

The longer I watch, the more gap-prone and stop-action the video becomes.  I have to re-initialize the stream at least once per half (and now have to watch a commercial before I rejoin the game, behind the action).

I suppose I will re-up because the price per match has been reasonable and the alternatives are poor.  Anybody else’s take on this?

It sucks that the best quality I can get is 720p. Usually the feed is low res and the frame rate is mediocre at best. It looks best on my phone due to the pixel density, but I'd much rather watch it on my TV, especially if I'm having people over for the games.

After having programming in 4k, watching soccer in sub 720 feels like watching hockey in standard definition before they did the stupid glow puck.

At the end of the day, we have no leverage to fight NBC gold, because as non big 6 clubs we are constantly relegated to streaming only services.

I can't remember the last time I didn't have to look for a stream online :(

Ridiculous for today. Couldn't NBC throw us on one of their other dozen channels, especially when the game is at this time of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention this US Foxes that subscribed to NBC Sports Gold. About a week or so ago, I received an email survey from NBC Sports Gold:

http://click1.email.nbcsports.com/mnwqwmngygblmcnzltdcmlzzkvlytzjkzcvmmmctpsnwc_olztmrjzjqdtwzwzrmlff.html

I tried to link it, otherwise you might have to look in your email/spam folder for it. I would encourage you to tell them exactly how much you dislike paying for their service. 

• 2 months later...

Wondering what everyone’s uptake has been for NBC Sports’ premier league pass.  I did not renew, in part because of cost, but more due to disappointment with the technical quality.

However, streaming a couple of the summer matches hasn’t increased my confidence in the alternative.  Obviously it is hard to find quality, and our (fortunately robust) antivirus product gets quite a workout.

I do watch nearly all of our League matches in real time, so may end up biting the bullet.  You all?

In other news, I read that no US network has bought rights to this season’s FA Cup.  It’s my way to check out up and comers on lower league squads, and -- at its best -- still a compelling competition.  So I’m hoping Fox, NBC or ESPN pony up.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Wondering what everyone’s uptake has been for NBC Sports’ premier league pass.  I did not renew, in part because of cost, but more due to disappointment with the technical quality.

However, streaming a couple of the summer matches hasn’t increased my confidence in the alternative.  Obviously it is hard to find quality, and our (fortunately robust) antivirus product gets quite a workout.

I do watch nearly all of our League matches in real time, so may end up biting the bullet.  You all?

In other news, I read that no US network has bought rights to this season’s FA Cup.  It’s my way to check out up and comers on lower league squads, and -- at its best -- still a compelling competition.  So I’m hoping Fox, NBC or ESPN pony up.

Reluctantly renewed. Most streams are terrible and unreliable. Leicester play the vast majority of their games on NBC sports gold so I don't see any alternative.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

There are a handful of Championship games every weekend on ESPN+. Another thing that was once great and part of the normal package that they want us to pay more over the top for.

35 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

There are a handful of Championship games every weekend on ESPN+. Another thing that was once great and part of the normal package that they want us to pay more over the top for.

But if you want to watch the sub-regional qualification round of the Little League World Series, the basic package has you covered.  Not to mention womens' softball approaching 24/7 lately.  Apparently that pulls more eyeballs than Leeds v Boro.

I'll likely end up paying the $5/month or so for the PL pass.  Another $5 for ESPN+ is a non-starter though.

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

In case you were wondering, the figure skating pass is $10 less....

• Haha 1

But in all seriousness, does anyone know if you have GOT to have NBC from a tv provider in order to get NBC gold? im getting pretty hacked off with my tv and i hardly ever watch it other than the footy of course.. it seems criminal to pay near on  $100 a month for something i don't really use!

Just now, MPH said:

But in all seriousness, does anyone know if you have GOT to have NBC from a tv provider in order to get NBC gold? im getting pretty hacked off with my tv and i hardly ever watch it other than the footy of course.. it seems criminal to pay near on  $100 a month for something i don't really use!

"NBC Sports Gold is a standalone streaming service that is purchased online directly from NBC Sports Group, and does not require a cable TV package. "

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/faq-en-intl

It only shows matches which are not being carried on an NBC broadcast or cable outlet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

How many fans based in the USA do we think we have? 

That's a good question. There's a fair number of american Leicester supporters on here, and other soccer related websites (/r/soccer, etc). There are probably also a lot ex-pats from Leicester who live in the US, and probably have indoctrinated their family and friends lol 

That being said, there is a huge gap between Leicester and the "big clubs." I'd say 99% of Americans that support a premier league team, support - Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham or Everton. I've never seen a single person walking around Detroit wearing a Leicester shirt. 

Edited by Detroit Blues

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

You could get away with dumping your cable package, signing up for NBC sports gold, and just going to the bar whenever Leicester plays on NBCSN. I think of the 38 league matches, at least 30 of them we're on NBC sports gold. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I'd say 99% of Americans that support a premier league team, support Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton.

This is true.

What you fail to mention is that LCFC has attracted the top 1%.  The most selective, independent thinking, highly intelligent US fans.

With the most friends, hottest spouses, and packing the largest endowments.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/08/2018 at 10:18, Detroit Blues said:

Reluctantly renewed. Most streams are terrible and unreliable. Leicester play the vast majority of their games on NBC sports gold so I don't see any alternative.

Co-sign.

The stream was completely out for the Everton game last season for almost half the game. I emailed customer support and the response I got was (paraphrasing): "We're working on it. After it's done you can watch the replay anytime!"

Gee, thanks.

2 hours ago, The_77 said:

NYC on Friday

CBD6CEEA-4C1C-43B7-9BA2-D6D88D0C4C9F.jpeg

Too bad this one wasn't shown on the broadcast. We got one supporter in front of the flag sandwiched between shots of two full bars of Man U fans. Oh well, we're just little old Leicester.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WiFoxes said:

Too bad this one wasn't shown on the broadcast. We got one supporter in front of the flag sandwiched between shots of two full bars of Man U fans. Oh well, we're just little old Leicester.

It’s hard enough to get everyone to take a photo after the game, let alone in time to get on TV at halftime! :P

• Like 1

Do you want to watch the FA Cup and/or Serie A this year?  That'll be five bucks a month.

ESPN+ has reached a new multi-year deal to stream FA Cup matches -- including the FA Cup Final -- in the United States.  The deal also includes the FA Community Shield, the annual match between FA Cup and Premier League champions.

Last week, ESPN+ announced a new multi-year agreement with Serie A that includes more than 340 Italian soccer matches per year, beginning with Cristiano Ronaldo's league debut with Juventus this Saturday.