Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Should Anti-Tattoo Discrimination be Illegal?

Haha, it's visible with rolled up sleeves or a short sleeved shirt. Didn't make that clear.

Also, laughable that some who are completely against tattoos don't see a problem with the likes of Ched Evans returning to a professional football club.

The bigger crime is the short sleeved shirt :nigel:

if they gets a stupid tattoo on her face then yes. surely they should be mature enough at that age to see the consequences of getting tattoos in ridiculous places.

I have a feeling trying to explain what 'subjective' means may be lost on you.

But anyway, let's not take the extreme of someone having their face tattooed - what if an 18 year old gets a tattoo on their finger like all the contemporary models and pop stars  are doing. You're happy they can be discrimanted against for the rest of their working lives because they 'should have been mature enough' to not get a 'stupid tattoo'?

Is it discrimination if it will genuinely harm your business?

1) Given you're not taking the rare edgecases of man with completely tattooed face, I'd like to know where this would happen

2) With your question above I'd like to know your thoughts on the equality act

As for the second point, why not? They are 18, an adult, adults should take responsibility for the decisions they make.

Meh

1) Given you're not taking the rare edgecases of man with completely tattooed face, I'd like to know where this would happen

2) With your question above I'd like to know your thoughts on the equality act

You seem to be knocking people for their extreme examples but you give an example of a finger tattoo. Each case is going to be different. The same as each job is going to be different.

If you're in a professional role where you're expected to meet and do business with clients then what are they going to think if someone turns up with a tattoo running out of their collar up to their ear? It depends on the business you do but a lot of people expect professional treatment and I'm sorry but it just isn't. The same as having your shirt untucked isn't. Or having dirt on you. It's not discriminating against people with tattoos, it's discriminating against people that don't look professional.

I don't have any thoughts on the equality act. I'm vaguely aware of it's existence but I think it's a bit too pc tbh. People should be employed in a role based on their suitability for it. That includes appearance. If Doris, 60 can't work her new computer system then tough. That's not age discrimination, that's Doris-isn't-suitable-to-work-here.

Only because the authorites are scared of the influence certain religions have over society, Jedi is a religion but if they wanted to turn up a work with a silly piece of headgear people wouldn't tolerate or allow it.

As for the second point, why not? They are 18, an adult, adults should take responsibility for the decisions they make.

I was pretty much typing that word for word (besides the Jedi part). Also, I'd argue that most people would find a headscarf less unsettling than a massive facial tattoo and ear/nose/cheek spacers 

Second point is spot on. Once you're eighteen you are legally an adult and free to make choices knowing that they may affect your life. This is why most people don't have facial tattoos.

It is actually possible to have tasteful visible tattoos, that may be no more noticeable or unpleasant looking than jewelry or make up, I am not anti tattoos and wouldn't immediately rule someone out for a job if they had a visible tattoo. But I am not in a position to employ people so it really all depends on the tattoo and the job.

I understand that companies have a reputation to uphold and image is an important part of a marketing strategy so it should be within their rights and their interests to have a no visible tattoo policy, and if you work for a company with a no visible tattoo policy and you get a visible tattoo, you are an idiot and you deserve to be sacked.

Guest MattP

Shouldn't we be more concerned about Racism, sexism and homophobia before we worry about some guy who got someone to scribble on his face or neck?

Who says people aren't?

Shouldn't we be more concerned about Racism, sexism and homophobia before we worry about some guy who got someone to scribble on his face or neck?

I don't think many people are 'worrying' about it. We've just got morons like this going to the press complaining that they're not getting all the breaks when they look like a scruffy twat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2121516/I-wear-make-cover-body-art--Salesman-22-claims-Next-forced-shop-floor-stock-room-80-tattoos.html

Guest MattP

I don't think many people are 'worrying' about it. We've just got morons like this going to the press complaining that they're not getting all the breaks when they look like a scruffy twat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2121516/I-wear-make-cover-body-art--Salesman-22-claims-Next-forced-shop-floor-stock-room-80-tattoos.html

Look at the state of that, what an absolute melt, I wouldn't even give him a job in the toilet let alone a stock room or shop floor.

'Body Art' - It isn't art at all mate, the Moan Lisa is art, the celing of the Sistene chapel is art, you have got someone also covered in shit to scrawl shit all over your body and punch bigger holes in it for a few quid. It's not art, it's tack and the lengths you have decided to take it to for whatever reason now makes you look ridiculous and also makes you unemployable for any position where a company would want you to interact face to face with the public. Good decision mate.

You look like a twat and act like a twat, good luck in life, you'll need it.

I have the whole of my left arm, or a sleeve as they are known, tattooed. Infact it starts at my chest. I also have a few other tattoo's. I'd never be stupid enough to have a tattoo that couldn't be covered up. My job is fairly relaxed regarding tattoo's but I do have to visit customers and always cover them up if I am involved in formal meetings.

Personally speaking I love tattoo's but I'd certainly think twice about offering a man with a tattooed face a job where I worked due to meeting important personal on a weekly basis.

On a similar subject, what the hell are those stupid stretching ear things all about? They look hideous.

Look at the state of that, what an absolute melt, I wouldn't even give him a job in the toilet let alone a stock room or shop floor.

'Body Art' - It isn't art at all mate, the Moan Lisa is art, the celing of the Sistene chapel is art, you have got someone also covered in shit to scrawl shit all over your body and punch bigger holes in it for a few quid. It's not art, it's tack and the lengths you have decided to take it to for whatever reason now makes you look ridiculous and also makes you unemployable for any position where a company would want you to interact face to face with the public. Good decision mate.

Although I agree the guy comes across a twat in the previous article and his tattoo's do look like shite but are you saying all tattoo's are not some form of art? There are some extremely good tattoo's out there done by some very well paid "Tattoo Artists." Whatever you and I believe is art my differ, as would two other people. I mean if some of the shite classed as "modern art," which people pay millions for, is classed as art then so can tattoo's. I will agree that some do look like someones scrawled shit over their bodies but there are a lot of good tattoo's out there.

While I agree to a certain extent I think it's a bit liberal calling shitty face tattoos and piercings 'art'. If you want to paint your face, go live in an uncivilised country where it's not a problem. Stop thinking you can do what you want and should be treated the same as everyone else.

I don't understand why people get face and neck tattoos at all, but I don't think it means a person should go and live in an 'uncivalised country'. Where do you draw the line before somebody is being too different? People take freedom of expression too far, I agree, but I don't think somebody having a tattoo makes them any less worthy in society.

You seem to be knocking people for their extreme examples but you give an example of a finger tattoo. Each case is going to be different. The same as each job is going to be different.

If you're in a professional role where you're expected to meet and do business with clients then what are they going to think if someone turns up with a tattoo running out of their collar up to their ear? It depends on the business you do but a lot of people expect professional treatment and I'm sorry but it just isn't. The same as having your shirt untucked isn't. Or having dirt on you. It's not discriminating against people with tattoos, it's discriminating against people that don't look professional.

I don't have any thoughts on the equality act. I'm vaguely aware of it's existence but I think it's a bit too pc tbh. People should be employed in a role based on their suitability for it. That includes appearance. If Doris, 60 can't work her new computer system then tough. That's not age discrimination, that's Doris-isn't-suitable-to-work-here.

Actually that is about as much discrimnating against people with tattoos as you could possibly get! lol

Saying having a tattoo is the same as being dirty or unkept. Jesus christ.

So you don't agree with positive discrimation for people with disabilities? I bet you're the exact same person who would complain there are too many people claiming benefits.

To be fair he probably knows how to spell the art he's passionate about.

This thread is certainly an eye opener

Actually that is about as much discrimnating against people with tattoos as you could possibly get! lol

Saying having a tattoo is the same as being dirty or unkept. Jesus christ.

So you don't agree with positive discrimation for people with disabilities? I bet you're the exact same person who would complain there are too many people claiming benefits.

Someone in a wheelchair complained at work the other day because they weren't being served before able bodied people. Hows that for positive discrimination?

In a professional environment, yes, I think it's untidy, so do 90% of employers it seems. Companies have an image to uphold, the ones were customer interactions involved (for some crazy reason) don't want you looking scruffy, or ridiculous hair, or tattoos all over the place.

Should we stop discrimination against people who don't want to wear the uniform because it censors them maaaaan?

Someone in a wheelchair complained at work the other day because they weren't being served before able bodied people. Hows that for positive discrimination?

In a professional environment, yes, I think it's untidy, so do 90% of employers it seems. Companies have an image to uphold, the ones were customer interactions involved (for some crazy reason) don't want you looking scruffy, or ridiculous hair, or tattoos all over the place.

Should we stop discrimination against people who don't want to wear the uniform because it censors them maaaaan?

I don't think I've ever facepalmed as much as I have reading this thread.

God help this country

Guest MattP

I don't think I've ever facepalmed as much as I have reading this thread.

God help this country

Your two arguments against my points were a 'meh' and a complaint about spelling. You haven't exactly covered yourself in glory either.

What 'body-art' do you have?

Some people in this day and age still have standards regarding appearance, get used to it as it's not going away no matter how much liberal hippy shite is spouted.

Your two arguments against my points were a 'meh' and a complaint about spelling. You haven't exactly covered yourself in glory either.

What 'body-art' do you have?

Some people in this day and age still have standards regarding appearance, get used to it as it's not going away no matter how much liberal hippy shite is spouted.

I put 'Meh' because I had already answered your question in the first answer in that post and I took the piss because you were saying it's not art and then your example of what was art, you didn't even know how to spell it. Pretty funny really.

By all means let me know your questions and I'll 'happily' give you my opinions.

And the last line of your post is exactly what I have an issue with in this thread. I too have standards regarding appearance but if someone turned up for a job with me it wouldn't be their tattoos I was judging them on when it came to appearance. That clearly isn't the case with everyone else in this thread - rather than accept people have different views, opinions and styles and that they should be judged on who they are and the work they can do, you say we should instead allow employers to discriminate against people for having even small visible tattoos and that's acceptable because it's the persons own fault for being so stupid and they may as well turned up with dirt all over them.

It's so backwards it's unbelievable.

I put 'Meh' because I had already answered your question in the first answer in that post and I took the piss because you were saying it's not art and then your example of what was art, you didn't even know how to spell it. Pretty funny really.

By all means let me know your questions and I'll 'happily' give you my opinions.

And the last line of your post is exactly what I have an issue with in this thread. I too have standards regarding appearance but if someone turned up for a job with me it wouldn't be their tattoos I was judging them on when it came to appearance. That clearly isn't the case with everyone else in this thread - rather than accept people have different views, opinions and styles and that they should be judged on who they are and the work they can do, you say we should instead allow employers to discriminate against people for having even small visible tattoos and that's acceptable because it's the persons own fault for being so stupid and they may as well turned up with dirt all over them.

I think you're sailing way wide of the point. As I've said repeatedly, my beef is with people who think they should be able to look like they want and be the face of a company. 

How is having a visible tattoo any different to having a ring hanging from your nose? Or doodling on your arm? It doesn't look what 90% of people perceive as smart, therefore companies do not want people not deemed as smart looking interacting with customers. I'm not going to write someone off for having a tattoo on their forearm. But some people will. And that can affect business and reputation.

Thank god you're perfect and would risk business for your morals. I'm not saying you're wrong but you need to hop down off your high horse because people have different opinions.

If we're going to make anti-tattoo discrimination illegal then shouldn't we also criminalise these gen y hipsters for discriminating against suits?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2014/08/dress-codes

My opinion is that employers should be free to discriminate based on any appearance factor that was the choice of the interviewee. So if you chchoose to turn up to a professional interview with shorts and t-shirt on and the employer doesn't like it, tough shit. Likewise tattoos, if someone doesn't want you fronting their business because you've chosen to get a tattoo in a visible area then tough shit. You knew you were permanently altering your appearance when you chose to have it done.

If we're going to make anti-tattoo discrimination illegal then shouldn't we also criminalise these gen y hipsters for discriminating against suits?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2014/08/dress-codes

My opinion is that employers should be free to discriminate based on any appearance factor that was the choice of the interviewee. So if you chchoose to turn up to a professional interview with shorts and t-shirt on and the employer doesn't like it, tough shit. Likewise tattoos, if someone doesn't want you fronting their business because you've chosen to get a tattoo in a visible area then tough shit. You knew you were permanently altering your appearance when you chose to have it done.

I agree with moose...so there. :P

Do you agree with companies having a dress code? Or a policy on jewellery or make up?

Or do you think people should be free to wear what they want?

It is the company's right to have a policy on appearance businesses spend a lot of money developing the right image, and I'm sure some would actively encourage body art and expressing your individuality, I'm thinking Google or companies in the creative sector, but other companies like Waitrose or BA pride themselves on their image of being upmarket and tattoos don't conform to that image so they rightly have a policy on appearance which includes visible tattoos and I find it crazy anyone thinks it is any form of discrimination.

Archived