Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Should Anti-Tattoo Discrimination be Illegal?

You know me - just an ordinary guy, with a spider's web tattooed on my face and Michael Jackson Thriller eyes inked on to my eyelids, but given how into tattoos hip young things seem to be these days, is this sort of thing considered a problem?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28758900

I must admit, I often see people with a new tattoo in a really obvious place, and although it doesn't bother me much personally, I think, 'cripes, you must have really wanted that, because that pretty much rules you out from ever working in an office, or possibly even indoors'.

Would you employ someone with visible tattoos?  I think I probably would (unless it was anything particularly distasteful, like an EDL emblem or a Kardashian), but would almost certainly then be overruled by my senior management

It depends what employment you're after. A lot of work relies on customer relationships and opinions so if you have tattoos on your neck or face then I doubt you're going to have many opportunities in certain careers.

I think discrimination laws like this are ridiculous. I'm in no way against tattoos but if you want to effectively draw on your body and want a job where you need to come off as professional then tough tits. I don't drink or swear at work, you shouldn't expose your slightly odd tattoo choices, however much it's 'a reflection of you'.

I don't like to see them but I don't think they should exclude someone from a job opportunity in the same way a disabled or a unpretty face should be excluded. un fortunately the public perception of a person can have an adverse on a business so the employer takes that into account. I have a skin condition which I have had from birth and I am pretty certain that in some jobs I would not be accepted.It is not contagious but some people it is off putting. Most people are OK though and if they ask about it I am happy to tell them.

Some tattoos are very well done and I admire the artists work but I have never considered one and I think I may be too old now although a LCFC and the badge is tempting somewhere where it can be seen but not look out of place.

You know me - just an ordinary guy, with a spider's web tattooed on my face and Michael Jackson Thriller eyes inked on to my eyelids, but given how into tattoos hip young things seem to be these days, is this sort of thing considered a problem?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28758900

I must admit, I often see people with a new tattoo in a really obvious place, and although it doesn't bother me much personally, I think, 'cripes, you must have really wanted that, because that pretty much rules you out from ever working in an office, or possibly even indoors'.

Would you employ someone with visible tattoos?  I think I probably would (unless it was anything particularly distasteful, like an EDL emblem or a Kardashian), but would almost certainly then be overruled by my senior management

There's not many places on your body for a tattoo that isn't covered up by a suit r even just shirt and trousers. People judge other people, you can make as many stupid laws as you want but people who don't look professional will suffer, whether that be looking scruffy or having tattoos on show.

I have some, but I'm always wary of where to get them. I wouldn't dream of having any on my neck because it just wouldn't look professional. I can't expect anyone to take me seriously if I've got praying hands below my jaw-line. The same goes for ear stretchers and face piercings. They might be good people or adequate for the job, but you have to look presentable. Expecting your employees to have a clean-cut look is no different to expecting them to be formally dressed. 

It should be up to the employer, and the employer only.

Some look good, but they certainly don't go well with a suit.

Guest MattP

It depends what employment you're after. A lot of work relies on customer relationships and opinions so if you have tattoos on your neck or face then I doubt you're going to have many opportunities in certain careers.

I think discrimination laws like this are ridiculous. I'm in no way against tattoos but if you want to effectively draw on your body and want a job where you need to come off as professional then tough tits. I don't drink or swear at work, you shouldn't expose your slightly odd tattoo choices, however much it's 'a reflection of you'.

This is spot on.

I've got two tattoos, one on each arm and I would never have been stupid enough to get one in a place that wouldn't be covered in a job interview/meeting/customer meet by a shirt/suit.

If people are that stupid to get something spalshed across their hands, neck and face you are probably best not employing them anyway, sensible decision making won't be a strong point.

I have some, but I'm always wary of where to get them. I wouldn't dream of having any on my neck because it just wouldn't look professional. I can't expect anyone to take me seriously if I've got praying hands below my jaw-line. The same goes for ear stretchers and face piercings. They might be good people or adequate for the job, but you have to look presentable. Expecting your employees to have a clean-cut look is no different to expecting them to be formally dressed.

It should be up to the employer, and the employer only.

Some look good, but they certainly don't go well with a suit.

Some of the young uns at my work (financial services, office environment) have visible tattoos, metal in their faces or odd coloured hair.

I think times change.

(I have no tattoos or piercings, btw)

I don't like to see them but I don't think they should exclude someone from a job opportunity in the same way a disabled or a unpretty face should be excluded. 

But why?

A tattoo is a choice. If I was an employer with a company that dealt with the public, there is no way I would employ someone with facial/neck tattoos because it would almost certainly negatively affect business (unless the business involves tattoos). 

Come on. Let's say you own a dental practice and are looking for a new receptionist. You have interviewed several people, then this guy shows up (on the right)

_76892942_624_bodyart.jpg

He gives the best speech ever, has all the qualifications, blah blah blah. You're not going to employ him (law or not) because it would harm your business - some people wouldn't feel comfortable approaching him, no matter how he is as a person

I think people have to take responsibility for their actions. I'm also dead against the new obesity benefits, seems the same thing to me. 

There's not many places on your body for a tattoo that isn't covered up by a suit r even just shirt and trousers. People judge other people, you can make as many stupid laws as you want but people who don't look professional will suffer, whether that be looking scruffy or having tattoos on show.

Agreed.

These things are done out of choice, it will be a reflection of you and that's not always a good thing.

Some of the young uns at my work (financial services, office environment) have visible tattoos, metal in their faces or odd coloured hair.

I think times change.

In which case, well done to them. They obviously did well enough in the interview or had an interviewer that wasn't put-off by them.

My right arm is half-covered but it's nothing a long-sleeve shirt wouldn't cover up. Luckily, I can dress casually for my job, so it doesn't matter.

But why?

A tattoo is a choice. If I was an employer with a company that dealt with the public, there is no way I would employ someone with facial/neck tattoos because it would almost certainly negatively affect business (unless the business involves tattoos). 

Come on. Let's say you own a dental practice and are looking for a new receptionist. You have interviewed several people, then this guy shows up (on the right)

_76892942_624_bodyart.jpg

He gives the best speech ever, has all the qualifications, blah blah blah. You're not going to employ him (law or not) because it would harm your business - some people wouldn't feel comfortable approaching him, no matter how he is as a person

I'm more unsettled by his terrible hair, if I'm honest 

A tattoo is a choice.

Religion is a choice but you're not allowed to discriminate against people wearing headscarves to work.

I think people have to take responsibility for their actions.

So you're happy that an 18 year old who gets a tattoo is discrimiated against for the next 50 years of his working life?

In a world where first impressions means everything, tattoos on your hands, neck & face will always reflect badly on a company trying to look professional. If I was to hire someone for a professional job I would never hire someone who has neck/face tattoos.

Religion is a choice but you're not allowed to discriminate against people wearing headscarves to work.

So you're happy that an 18 year old who gets a tattoo is discrimiated against for the next 50 years of his working life?

if they gets a stupid tattoo on her face then yes. surely they should be mature enough at that age to see the consequences of getting tattoos in ridiculous places.

I think times change.

Are they client/customer facing? I think that's a big part of it. Our office is fairly accomodating but I'm pretty sure they have different rules for client/customer facing employees.

I think it's a little ridiculous in the modern age to be discriminating against someone for body art. I understand that people probably wouldn't want to be seen by a doctor who is covered in tattoos, but if he/she has qualified and has the necessary experience then what's the issue? I work in law, and whilst I only have a pretty small tattoo on my upper arm, I've experienced no problems thus far and wouldn't expect to in future.

Guest MattP

I think it's a little ridiculous in the modern age to be discriminating against someone for body art. I understand that people probably wouldn't want to be seen by a doctor who is covered in tattoos, but if he/she has qualified and has the necessary experience then what's the issue? I work in law, and whilst I only have a pretty small tattoo on my upper arm, I've experienced no problems thus far and wouldn't expect to in future.

I wouldn't expect you to unless you turn up to court wearing a vest.

I wouldn't expect you to unless you turn up to court wearing a vest.

Haha, it's visible with rolled up sleeves or a short sleeved shirt. Didn't make that clear.

Also, laughable that some who are completely against tattoos don't see a problem with the likes of Ched Evans returning to a professional football club.

Is it discrimination if it will genuinely harm your business?

I might be totally wrong here but I do wonder how many people get certain tattoos due to the rebellious sort of nature about them. If there was a law against discrimination - do you think that people would be as willing to get them in certain places as they do currently?

Guest MattP

Only because the authorites are scared of the influence certain religions have over society, Jedi is a religion but if they wanted to turn up a work with a silly piece of headgear people wouldn't tolerate or allow it.

As for the second point, why not? They are 18, an adult, adults should take responsibility for the decisions they make.

Just interviewed a guy with some black "thing" creeping up his neck, a flash tube in his ear, some sort of spike in the other one and two piercings in his nose.

He was also wearing, jeans rolled half way up his shin and a t shirt (no socks either).

As it turned out, he was a complete numpty and so matched his own appearance, but he was a no from the second I saw him.

Can't have that dealing with our customers say in day out - no chance. He didn't even wear a suit for crying out loud.

While I agree to a certain extent I think it's a bit liberal calling shitty face tattoos and piercings 'art'. If you want to paint your face, go live in an uncivilised country where it's not a problem. Stop thinking you can do what you want and should be treated the same as everyone else.

Archived