Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Terrorist threat level raised.

After so many years managing the the very real and well orchistrated threats from the various factions in Northern Ireland the UK Security Services are probably as good as it gets in terms of prevention and monitoring of terrorists threats. But its the home grown nutter that slips through, the one that does not join Jihad, does not get trained by the baddies but sits at home working out how he can make big bangs using everyday materials. We may all have differing views on whats happening in far off lands but at some point we may have to confront a home grown offshoot of these fights.

I have absolutely no doubt we will be having to fight a home grown IS group at some point in the near future.

For?

They have been around for a while, problem is they know appear to have become a genuine force across Iraq and Syria. Thank god we didn't arm them, Cameron was a whisker away from doing so.

I've no idea really, a political gain, wanting to get some legislation through parliament, being influenced by an external power...

I'm not really one for conspiracies although our foreign policy has been utterly bizarre of late. We seem to pick a side in a conflict completely at random. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an attack on the UK, but most likely a relatively low tech one by some home grown terrorist(s). The way Cameron has been talking you would have thought we were in danger of being overrun by a Muslim horde.

There's literally hundreds of extremist groups in the non-civilised world.

I've no idea really, a political gain, wanting to get some legislation through parliament, being influenced by an external power...

I'm not really one for conspiracies although our foreign policy has been utterly bizarre of late. We seem to pick a side in a conflict completely at random. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an attack on the UK, but most likely a relatively low tech one by some home grown terrorist(s). The way Cameron has been talking you would have thought we were in danger of being overrun by a Muslim horde.

There's literally hundreds of extremist groups in the non-civilised world.

Could you give us the actual quote that would lead you to that assumption?

For?

They have been around for a while, problem is they know appear to have become a genuine force across Iraq and Syria. Thank god we didn't arm them, Cameron was a whisker away from doing so.

I've not had chance to look into this much, but the stuff on Wikipedia is truly alarming: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant#Finances

Even if the details are vague, it seems clear that Islamic State (IS) has access to a hell of a lot of funds and weaponry.

Was Cameron ever planning to arm ISIS/Islamic State? I know that the UK was considering arming the Free Syrian Army, the moderate opposition, and was planning air strikes against Assad until he lost the parliamentary vote, but don't remember that. However, it's pretty likely that many of those arms would have ended up with Islamic State. What's happened to the Free Syrian Army now? Islamic State seems to have risen from being a minority faction to the dominant force across several countries!

While they seem to have acquired a lot of military hardware in the field, a lot of this must be explained by the large influx of funds from the Gulf states, particularly Saudi and Qatar.

What have the Western powers done to pressurise Saudi and Qatar to ensure that neither they nor their private citizens fund these murderous extremists? Or are we too scared of upsetting the Saudis and jeopardising our oil supplies and looking forward to the Qatar World Cup so much, that we have done next to nothing?!? :mad: 

There's an interesting article here:  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/revealed-what-the-west-has-given-syrias-rebels-8756447.html

It is a year old, but that actually makes it MORE interesting, as it dates from when IS were just starting to rise in prominence....seems well-researched, too.

I don't know enough to say what we could or should have done, but surely we should have been making it a priority to prevent the flow of massive amounts of cash from Saudi/Qatar to murderous Islamist terrorists - and viewing them as the No. 1 target for any air strikes, however bad Assad's lot are? Even if it could have been worse if we had armed the rebels, the West seems to have cocked this up big-time by not tackling IS earlier and could pay a massive price.

Quite frightening reading and with that amount of finance behind you anything is possible.

Alf, the group we were preparing to arm along with the FSA was the Al Nusra front, which appears now to be one of the main players within IS.

No it was about a month ago. Also it was on the radio.

It shouldn't be too hard to find if gave such a damning indication of what you described.

Saudi and Qatar have got the Western World by the balls, there's no way we could put pressure on them.

Assuming you're referring to Western dependence on OPEC oil, I certainly take your point re. Saudi. The Gulf states also boast a lot of financial wealth that could jeopardise global economic stability, I suppose.

Even so, surely the West has some influence to persuade them not to fund global terrorism? They need a thriving market for their oil, after all...

Not sure the same constraints apply with Qatar, anyway.

Here are Wiki figures for global oil production & exports, and Qatar isn't a big player: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_production

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_exports

Those lists certainly make the case for developing alternative sources of energy, though, be that nuclear, renewables, fracking or whatever. I mean, top 5 oil exporters: Saudi, Russia, Iran, Iraq & Nigeria....hardly secure, reliable sources of supply!

Our overreliance on 'black gold' coming back to hit us in the face. Again.

It's almost like we like the thrill of dealing with the risk of religious and ideological sociopaths and those who fund them (both in the ME and Russia), because I really don't see much changing in our reliance on the stuff.

If the governments are so clever how come we did not have a " Red Alert " before the London Tube and bus bombings ? and if they had given out a warning that day would that have stopped commuters ? absolutely pointless scaremongering for no apparent reason. Still we have " Red Alerts " if it looks like it's going to rain on the weather forecasts so we may as well do the same boll*ks with terrorism.

If the governments are so clever how come we did not have a " Red Alert " before the London Tube and bus bombings ? and if they had given out a warning that day would that have stopped commuters ? absolutely pointless scaremongering for no apparent reason. Still we have " Red Alerts " if it looks like it's going to rain on the weather forecasts so we may as well do the same boll*ks with terrorism.

good question

Errbody wanna reduce reliance on oil. Ain't nobody wanna start driving dem electric cars.

Translation for Ken (Southern US English to English English, I think):

"Everybody wants to reduce reliance on oil but nobody wants to start driving electric cars"

A fair point on our short-sightedness as consumers, though most people couldn't afford an electric car (yet) - and successive governments haven't been active enough in guiding our economy away from an over-dependence on oil imports.

Archived