Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Terrorist threat level raised.

IS now effectively control border checkpoints between their self proclaimed caliphate and a massive NATO country (Turkey). They are the most serious security challenge to the West in a very long time, their rise has been unpredictable and swift. The World is bigger than your front room in your British town, and we are right in the centre of it.

IS won't threaten a country like Turkey which has a real military and organised borders

I love how people think the government can just raise the terrorist threat level if they're doing badly in the polls, all simple like.

Its completely unquantifiable nonsense. If the government knows about a threat, they stamp it out. If they don't know about one, then how on earth do you rate the likelihood of an attack? Even if they know a bit about something but they're not sure about the details, what business is it of the general public's to know anything at all about it?

If the terror threat level is low, does that mean there can't be a terrorist attack? Of course it doesn't. It's just a complete load of pointless old shit, and if it's not used to keep the general public scared then it should be scrapped as it's completely ****ing useless.

The terrorist threat level has now been raised to the severe, the second highest level of impending attack.

This is now becoming a very dangerous scenario. With trouble rife in the Far East, and Islamic extremists  growing in size and power, just where can now be considered saf? It would appear that the answer, basically, is nowhere.

Reading in the local paper tonight, the front page shows, and talks of, a local man from High Wycombe, who in a BBC interview, wallows in the beheading of the American journalist. He states he hates the UK, and will only return to plant a bomb.

Just how many towns and cities, have it's share of such evil people, living within the community?

Immigration, obviously , carries some the burden of this problem, but I don't know how much.

The bottom line is, what can, and should the UK do, to keep the situation in this country, as safe as possible? 

Do you write for the Daily Mail? The threat levels are meant to be fed to the security services and armed forces as an indicator for what actions need to be taken, but are instead being fed to the public through every source of media despite it having nothing to do with them. It just drums up fear in people. We don't know why the threat level's been raised, we don't know what, if any, procedures we're supposed to go through, we know literally **** all about it.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-threats/terrorism/threat-levels/the-uks-threat-level-system.html

Yeah there are hordes of muslamic beheading death rays on their way and honest Dave, Super Clegg and Milibland are our saviours. Read a bit more about the IS threat. http://pando.com/2014/06/16/the-war-nerd-heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-too-extreme-for-al-qaeda-i-s-i-s/

Interesting article. Written in June when he claims that there were 10k IS fighters. I don't think confirmed numbers are available but reports from August coming out of Syria put it at 80k. That's one of the risks to the west - rapid expansion. Saying IS is no threat because they only take the relatively weak spots doesn't help when they're getting stronger so quickly. The other, and probably the main threat to the west is western jihadis returning home, and he glosses over that completely. Would be interesting to see a follow up to see how he views the rapid expansion of IS and the evidence we now have that westerners are out there chopping people's heads off.

Its completely unquantifiable nonsense. If the government knows about a threat, they stamp it out. If they don't know about one, then how on earth do you rate the likelihood of an attack? Even if they know a bit about something but they're not sure about the details, what business is it of the general public's to know anything at all about it?

If the terror threat level is low, does that mean there can't be a terrorist attack? Of course it doesn't. It's just a complete load of pointless old shit, and if it's not used to keep the general public scared then it should be scrapped as it's completely ****ing useless.

It's used to inform security around critical infrastructure. I'd say it's a fairly vital bit of planning. Why it's made available to the public I don't know, maybe some 'socially progressive' thing about how we're all entitled to know about these things or something.

Most of the propaganda is from the western arms industry looking for the next theatre of war since Afghanistan is winding down. IS threaten the UK less than the Continuity IRA but give government and the western war machine a reason to carry on.

I'm far more concerned about the East of Europe.

Quite. Moreover the UK does nothing about the funding of IS.

Interesting but the cynic in me wonders if the govt. would rather the public be spoon fed this story than any other that may be embarrassing or put them in a bad light?

While the public are ranting about this story any little errors or misdemeanors are put on the back burner

To quote two previous posters

The threat levels are meant to be fed to the security services and armed forces as an indicator for what actions need to be taken, but are instead being fed to the public through every source of media despite it having nothing to do with them. It just drums up fear in people.

I don't know how they "raise" it. Is it just because of what's going on?

Either way, something will happen soon. Said it for ages and I do believe it.

It's been raised because 500 people who live/lived in Britain are fighting in Iraq/Syria.

There's always stuff going on that we'll never know about but despite our politicians, our security services are second to none and I have full faith in them. Inevitably, people may slip through the net. 

You never know. There was that attempted suicide bombing of a cafe in Exeter a few years ago, its not always major population centres that cop it.

Also the recent Loughborough story, not Islamic extremism but still terrifyingly close to home. 

After so many years managing the the very real and well orchistrated threats from the various factions in Northern Ireland the UK Security Services are probably as good as it gets in terms of prevention and monitoring of terrorists threats. But its the home grown nutter that slips through, the one that does not join Jihad, does not get trained by the baddies but sits at home working out how he can make big bangs using everyday materials. We may all have differing views on whats happening in far off lands but at some point we may have to confront a home grown offshoot of these fights.

IS have been around for years, can't help but feel it's all a bit of a smokescreen.

For?

They have been around for a while, problem is they know appear to have become a genuine force across Iraq and Syria. Thank god we didn't arm them, Cameron was a whisker away from doing so.

Archived