Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

80s Classics

I used to take the piss out of my sister for being a Duran Duran fan in the 80's cos I thought they were a bit twee. Then I watched a documentary on their Rio album last night and have changed my mind. They worked their nuts off and had more talent than I gave them credit for. I guess you don't sell 100 million records if you're not half decent. My favorite track is:

• Like 1

For selecting that fine Associates track, Webbo, you're getting a special Alfie Bonus (like the Brucie Bonus but more valuable).

Only became aware of this the other day - Billy MacKenzie of Associates covers Sparks (stunningly, in my opinion - he was a real loss):

If anyone has 40 minutes spare, there's a great profile of MacKenzie here:

Anecdote from the TV profile: when his record label dropped him, they dropped the bombshell at a London restaurant. He took it quite well, but asked them to order him a company-paid taxi home at the end of the meal.

When the black cab arrived, he jumped in and headed home....but not to his London flat, to his other home.....near Dundee. Classy conduct!

Personal anecdote: My brother played him at pool in a Camden pub in about 1986. He lost.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 3

2 different versions of a magnificent bit of rousing 80s silliness to warm the cockles on a miserable morning. I'm not sure which video I prefer.

Is it just me or does Eddie Tenpole have something of Jamie Vardy in him? Manic pace and movement, crazy stare, fierce determination, whippet body (and face).... 

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 2

2 different versions of a magnificent bit of rousing 80s silliness to warm the cockles on a miserable morning. I'm not sure which video I prefer.

Is it just me or does Eddie Tenpole have something of Jamie Vardy in him? Manic pace and movement, crazy stare, fierce determination, whippet body (and face).... 

Wunderbar

• Like 1

I've been a Dubliners fan since childhood in the 60s, but this one is from 1984. Only discovered it the other day.

Heartbreaking, powerful singing from Luke Kelly, particularly as it was his last ever Dubliners performance and probably knew he was on his way out (brain tumour at 43).

"I must away now, I can no longer tarry".... You should have tarried much longer, Luke. What a voice!

• Like 1