Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

Would you still support the owners if they sacked Nigel next season?

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support the owners if they sacked Nigel in December where we are bottom and after a poor start?

• Yes
    • No

If we get relegated next season, and start life indifferently in the Championship, I would expect him to be sacked, but hopefully this wont happen.

I hope he remains until the end of next season should the results be bad, but I would still back the owners, as they have already proved their worth in many ways.

Would you lose faith in the owners and start questioning if they are the right people to run this club? If not you would still support/back them despite them making a decision you don't agree with.

Then yes, I would still support them. It would only be in line with what pretty much any other football manager would do, regardless of whether it was something I wanted or not.

Guest MattP

It's a hard question to answer because you're asking me to imagine I'm in a world where Nigel is deluded.

In that scenario, I wouldn't blame them that much if they sacked him. If we're struggling with the current lot then it's common sense to strengthen.

Pretty much spot on here.

The scenario is so ridiculous to imagine as it would mean the Premiership within 6 months had completely changed Nigel as a person and football manager.

To be honest I'd probably be saying the owners are completely moronic if they came to a decision to sack someone based on the fact they refuse to spunk another 35million of their money, let alone be giving it to someone who is 7 points adrift after spending 50 already, it would be like rekindling the Sven days on acid.

So would I support them? No. They would have in this situation, like Nigel, became that dangerous in terms of their philosophy and financial discipline they would be dangerous to the football club and I certainly wouldn't trust them to bring in an adequate replacement.

This is the scenario, December 2014, we are bottom of the prem, in the summer we made a few new signings, but Nigel has mainly stuck with the players that got us up despite having been given £50m to spend on strengthening the squad (fees and wages). There is still £35m available but Nigel is saying he believes in the current squad and will not be making lots of big signings in January and trying to buy his way out of trouble.

We are bottom, with only a handful of points, we haven't looked like getting anything from any of the games against the top 7, we have been competitive at times against the rest, but still playing 442 and not looking like changing that any time soon.

Despite a couple of home wins we are in a dangerous position already 7 points from safety. (was 9 but that seemed like too many)

The owners announce on the 5th of December that they have agreed to terminate Nigel's contract and a replacement is being sought who will have the rest of December to assess the squad and January to improve it with serious financial backing.

In this situation i'd back the owners decision, can't afford to be 7 points from safety at any time, it just would not be acceptable.

EDIT: although its a pretty stupid scenario.

Pretty much spot on here.

The scenario is so ridiculous to imagine as it would mean the Premiership within 6 months had completely changed Nigel as a person and football manager.

To be honest I'd probably be saying the owners are completely moronic if they came to a decision to sack someone based on the fact they refuse to spunk another 35million of their money, let alone be giving it to someone who is 7 points adrift after spending 50 already, it would be like rekindling the Sven days on acid.

So would I support them? No. They would have in this situation, like Nigel, became that dangerous in terms of their philosophy and financial discipline they would be dangerous to the football club and I certainly wouldn't trust them to bring in an adequate replacement.

In this scenario Nigel has only spent £15m of the £50m available, it is not an additional £35m, it is just what is left over from the summer. Nigel has spent a small amount of it and the players he's brought in haven't made much impact.

Guest MattP

In this scenario Nigel has only spent £15m of the £50m available, it is not an additional £35m, it is just what is left over from the summer. Nigel has spent a small amount of it and the players he's brought in haven't made much impact.

Of course, apologies.

Answer is still a no, for all we know Nigel doesn't believe the players he could buy represent value for money. He doesn't seem the sort just to throw away money he has to spend to please the idiots if he thinks it wouldn't benefit the club in the long term, if he can get players that will improve the side he would do it. He's not a Sven or a 'Arry.

I've long gone past the days anyway of being excited by big fees or 'having x amount to spend', whenever we do it seems to end in disaster anyway. So I still wouldn't support them after making the decision.

In this situation i'd back the owners decision, can't afford to be 7 points from safety at any time, it just would not be acceptable.

EDIT: although its a pretty stupid scenario.

Why is it stupid? Nigel has said he will stick by the majority the players that got us up, and won't spend crazy money and bring in lots of players in the summer, we could very well be bottom in December (I hope not, but you never know), and I don't think Nigel would react to that by spending fvck loads in Jan to rectify it, even if he had the money available.

NO!

Think that's made things pretty clear.

So you would want them to leave the club?

yes stupid question; We support our club whoever is running it or is charge; maybe angry with them but wouldn't stop supporting them!

So that would be a yes then.

People still support the club without really supporting the owners, Cardiff, Hull, Newcastle.

At the moment most fans are very supportive of our owners, I am trying to guage if we are doing very badly next season and they sack Nigel, how that would affect the support for them, they lost support from some fans when they splashed the cash and plunged us into debt, and from others when they sacked Sven.

Just interesting to see if them sacking Nigel would cause the fans to lose faith in them again.

So you would want them to leave the club?

I'd be incredibly unhappy with them, and if someone else came in, I wouldn't be devastated to see them go. If I had to choose between the current owners and Nigel Pearson, I'd choose Pearson every time.

i don't really support the owners, i support the club. if they sacked him for a daft reason i'd be pissed but support whoever they appointed in his place. if they sacked him because we're bottom i'd still support whoever else came in. 

I'd be incredibly unhappy with them, and if someone else came in, I wouldn't be devastated to see them go. If I had to choose between the current owners and Nigel Pearson, I'd choose Pearson every time.

Fair enough, at the moment I am assuming most people are very supportive of the owners and Nige, I am just wondering where the stronger loyalty is. I would assume with Nige, but then if he is doing a bad job, I think the owners are within their right to sack him.

Guest MattP

So that would be a yes then.

People still support the club without really supporting the owners, Cardiff, Hull, Newcastle.

At the moment most fans are very supportive of our owners, I am trying to guage if we are doing very badly next season and they sack Nigel, how that would affect the support for them, they lost support from some fans when they splashed the cash and plunged us into debt, and from others when they sacked Sven.

Just interesting to see if them sacking Nigel would cause the fans to lose faith in them again.

Let's not kid ourselves, Nigel Pearson is the reason where we are now. It's little if anything to do with them. They ran up a hideous debt after being on the receiving end of a humliating conman in front of the World.

I appreciate them clearing the debt but it was right and proper to do so given it was their decision making and mistakes that led to it.

When Nigel goes and we drop back into the lower echelons and go through the Levein, Kelly, etc style era people will go back to what they think of them. They should be showering Pearson with gifts, he has absolutely saved their own asses and probably a huge loss based on bad business decisions.

Let's not kid ourselves, Nigel Pearson is the reason where we are now. It's little if anything to do with them. They ran up a hideous debt after being on the receiving end of a humliating conman in front of the World.

I appreciate them clearing the debt but it was right and proper to do so given it was their decision making and mistakes that led to it.

When Nigel goes and we drop back into the lower echelons and go through the Levein, Kelly, etc style era people will go back to what they think of them. They should be showering Pearson with gifts, he has absolutely saved their own asses and probably a huge loss based on bad business decisions.

But we probably wouldn't be here with Mandy still in charge, "backing" Nigel. They deserve credit as well for the way they have run the club since sacking Sven.

I am a big fan of Nige and of the owners, I think they made a gamble backing Sven the way they did, and it didn't come off, but one they made in full knowledge of the financial risk, and took that financial burden themselves rather than leaving it as debt on the club.

To be honest I really don't know what they will do next season, how much of the TV money they will let Nigel have to spend and how much time they will give him if results aren't going our way, but we have to be realistic, if we are doing badly, whether you agree with it or not, there is a fair chance that the owners will sack Nigel. They canned Sven as soon as they realised it was a mistake, many at the time said it was too soon, but then they backed Nigel when we had that bad run last season. So it could go either way.

If they did sack Nige with us bottom of the prem, do you think we would we see protests at the ground, similar to what we have seen at other clubs?

Guest MattP

But we probably wouldn't be here with Mandy still in charge, "backing" Nigel. They deserve credit as well for the way they have run the club since sacking Sven.

I am a big fan of Nige and of the owners, I think they made a gamble backing Sven the way they did, and it didn't come off, but one they made in full knowledge of the financial risk, and took that financial burden themselves rather than leaving it as debt on the club.

To be honest I really don't know what they will do next season, how much of the TV money they will let Nigel have to spend and how much time they will give him if results aren't going our way, but we have to be realistic, if we are doing badly, whether you agree with it or not, there is a fair chance that the owners will sack Nigel. They canned Sven as soon as they realised it was a mistake, many at the time said it was too soon, but then they backed Nigel when we had that bad run last season. So it could go either way.

If they did sack Nige with us bottom of the prem, do you think we would we see protests at the ground, similar to what we have seen at other clubs?

They have to be commended for sticking with Nigel, it was a great decision and one that gives me great hope they have learned from their mistakes and realised you are more likely to succeed with stability and long term planning.

I'm not going to defend anyone who thought sacking Sven was too soon, I, Mark_w, babylon and a few others knew it was ending in disaster when he was running around on dealine day looking for strikers after having 5 months to sort it out, from memory it was only the seenitalls of the forum and the odd few who are still the ones that have been hypnotised by him and still think hes a manager with somethine to offer that were sticking with him after the Millwall match.

They only took on the financial burden of that debt when they knew we were going up didn't they? Why didn't they clear it after he had gone? Had it continued to go wrong and we had gone another way I very much doubt they would have.

I don't envisage any protests here, most of our fans aren't anywhere near as militant as others, for all the "protests" we speak about at Cardiff and Hull it's only been a few people with a banner and one game one game at Anfield for Malky.

What;s the point anyway? We've all sold our souls now whatever happens, even if we demand they do something they don't have too and if they want they could make things as bad as possible for us, that's the price of bringing in someone with a few quid, we have all become whores.

Harsh to call us all whores, we didn't bring them in, and we have had no real choice but to accept them as owners or bugger off and support someone else.

I was no Sven supporter, but I don't blame the owners for trusting that he knew what he was doing and backing him financially, as for writing the debt off, I think it was because of the potential FFP fines more than promotion, if they wanted the money back they should have kept them until we got promoted and used the prem money to pay them off.

I look at everything with such a positive outlook, look what Nigel and his guys (Steve Walsh) an co have done in the championship. A part of me likes to think that we really will surprise alot of people next year. Hoping we Emulate a Southampton to be honest. Many of there squad members were from there league 1 days, they haven't turned out to bad ;). Of course though in the owners you have to trust.  

I don't think any answer given now, following a fantastic season and promotion, bears any relevance of how people would vote if we have a horrible season next year.

For instance, Mike Walker had Norwich going for the title but once this stopped, fans wanted his head and a new manager.

It's a cliche to say fans are fickle but unfortunately it is very true.

Spot on..

Asking this question now is pretty pointless. People may answer one way now, then feel completely differently if it actually happened.

Generally speaking, turning against those holding the purse strings (biting the hand that feeds) is rarely a good idea in football.

Spot on..

Asking this question now is pretty pointless. People may answer one way now, then feel completely differently if it actually happened.

Generally speaking, turning against those holding the purse strings (biting the hand that feeds) is rarely a good idea in football.

Maybe now isn't the best time, but all this talk of NP getting sacked in other threads got me thinking, especially if by some horrible quirk of fate it did happen, and to see if the reaction then would be the same as now.

I will admit during our shit run of last season, I really wouldn't have blamed them for sacking Nige, and I have often been described as a happy clapper as I am a big fan of NP, even if I don't always agree with his starting line up and substitutions.

Archived