Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

Would you still support the owners if they sacked Nigel next season?

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support the owners if they sacked Nigel in December where we are bottom and after a poor start?

• Yes
    • No

They have to be commended for sticking with Nigel, it was a great decision and one that gives me great hope they have learned from their mistakes and realised you are more likely to succeed with stability and long term planning.

I'm not going to defend anyone who thought sacking Sven was too soon, I, Mark_w, babylon and a few others knew it was ending in disaster when he was running around on dealine day looking for strikers after having 5 months to sort it out, from memory it was only the seenitalls of the forum and the odd few who are still the ones that have been hypnotised by him and still think hes a manager with somethine to offer that were sticking with him after the Millwall match.

I thought Sven needed to be given longer with the players. I was dreading the possibility of him being given any more money in January, but I thought he should have been afforded a little longer to try and get things right with the players he had brought in. So I'm not sure why I'm included there. It was only when we got Pearson back that I decided sacking Sven was a good decision, and it was only a good decision because they went and got a vastly superior manager. It could have ended very badly if it hadn't been Pearson lined up, and at the time I had no confidence that the owners would find someone any better than Sven to take over.

I just think he made some very, very, silly signings. But I think the owners are just as much to blame for that as Sven, not just because he was allowed to spend far too much money, but because we basically broadcast to the world that we were going to 'buy the league', which was ****ing stupid. If Sven hadn't have had the money for the two most expensive signings, Beckford & Mills, that season could have been very different. I'm not excusing him, they (and many others) were stupid signings, but at the time I wasn't 'Sven Out'.

Even if we do poorly next season and go down, would like us to buck the trend and stay with Nigel to try and get us back up at first attempt. I believe we can stay up with Nigel in charge and the team he has with a couple of additions

I think the owners have earned our trust so they've got my full backing. If they did sack NP that would obviously take a big hit and regardless of the circumstances, I wouldn't be pleased to see him go.

i dont care if we only win 2 games all season next year, nigel is the man i would want to get us promoted again straight away.

I'd be incredibly unhappy with them, and if someone else came in, I wouldn't be devastated to see them go. If I had to choose between the current owners and Nigel Pearson, I'd choose Pearson every time.

I'm a Leicester City fan not an Nigel Pearson fan.

I'm a Leicester City fan not an owners fan.

Both have made mistakes, both have recently done well for the club.

If the OP's scenario happened I'd ship NFP out sharpish.

I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but they would only do that if they genuinely felt it was the right thing to do for the club. Owners have to make tough decisions, sometimes the fans will disagree with them. It doesn't mean I would want the owners out or anything drastic like that.

If were bottom half the forum will be calling for his sacking...so with mixed emotions we would grudgingly say the owner had a 50/50 call to make and giving us a chance of survival.

If they did after 5 games that would be different.

But the decision is made, Nige has gone, the contract paid up, this is not about the pros on cons of sacking Nigel but how you would feel towards the owners.

I'm sorry if I didn't respond to the original question, but going back to that--my reaction to whether or not I'd support the move would be more nuanced.

I would be very disappointed if Nigel doesn't get a fair crack at a full season in the Premier League. I would agree with MattP that Pearson deserves a lot of love from the owners for what he's done for the club. Even if Pearson already was given support by the owners during the difficult end of last season, he has still more than repaid their faith.

That said, I'm not so sure what we could do besides complain if Nigel, his agent, and the owners all agreed during their contract negotiations and preseason meetings that the minimum expectations the club should have are far higher than the relegation zone, 7 points adrift by December. It's not nice, but that's business.

No one can debate what a brilliant job Nigel has done this season he's used modest funds in comparison to teams like QPR. I love the way he has built a team ethos around hard work and industry. In football nothing would surprise me it isn't out of the realms of possibility he won't even be hear next season nothings been signed yet. I hope to god he stays for a long time because what this club needs is stability. There is some doubts over a number of staff who have yet signed deals it needs sorting!!!

Why is it stupid? Nigel has said he will stick by the majority the players that got us up, and won't spend crazy money and bring in lots of players in the summer, we could very well be bottom in December (I hope not, but you never know), and I don't think Nigel would react to that by spending fvck loads in Jan to rectify it, even if he had the money available.

So you would want them to leave the club?

That's what he is saying, whether he realizes it or not. 

The individual is bigger than the club, eh Mark?

If you think the owners are the club, then yes.

Frankly I think  that's a pretty sad way of looking at things, it's certainly not the way I look at it. I won't stop loving this football club if the owners leave, I won't think that the club dies with them. So for me it's not a case of Pearson before the club that I will love long after he has left. It's a case of Pearson before the current owners of Leicester City Football Club.

It's pretty depressing that anyone thinks the owners are Leicester City Football Club, but I can't say I'm too surprised that it's you who thinks like that.

So many peopleon here don't back the manager/owners/players if we lose 1 game, of course there'd be many who wanted Manager and Owners out if it all went terribly wrong.

So we have not finished this season and we are already asking if Nigel should be sacked next season.

So after gaining promotion with the league still to win we are debating if he should when he will and if he is sacked next season.

Starting to sound like the end of last season and look how many got it totally wrong.

Our fans nearly forced out MON and look how that turned out ( EGG ON FACES)

We should all be happy talking about winning the league still this season and beating manu next season.

Personally I am hoping Nigel is not a member or visitor to this site.

He may read some of this and think why do I need this shite again and after the season we are having.

Top " Nige I have your new contract all you gatta do is sign it"

Nige "Top with all due respect shove it up your arse all our fans ever do is talk about me being sacked"

Top " Nige no need to be like that mate"

Nige "Top I.m going to look for a club where play off's and promotion means the world to the fans and they support me"

Nige " If you don't believe me just check out that fvcking foxestalk"

Starting to hope some of you get your wish.

Get off the mans back.

If you think the owners are the club, then yes.

Frankly I think  that's a pretty sad way of looking at things, it's certainly not the way I look at it. I won't stop loving this football club if the owners leave, I won't think that the club dies with them. So for me it's not a case of Pearson before the club that I will love long after he has left. It's a case of Pearson before the current owners of Leicester City Football Club.

It's pretty depressing that anyone thinks the owners are Leicester City Football Club, but I can't say I'm too surprised that it's you who thinks like that.

What you are saying, is that manager, is more important than the board we now have. I cannot for one minute envisage a better board than we have now, nor to be fair the manager too. I would however prefer to lose a manager in the circumstances quoted, than to lose our current board. They employ the manager, and players, and not the other way round. They make the greater contribution by virtue of their wealth, and investment, and have backed one of their employees, when most club boards would not have.

Like it or not, they are bigger than NP, as any sensible businessman would tell you.

What you are saying, is that manager, is more important than the board we now have. I cannot for one minute envisage a better board than we have now, nor to be fair the manager too. I would however prefer to lose a manager in the circumstances quoted, than to lose our current board. They employ the manager, and players, and not the other way round. They make the greater contribution by virtue of their wealth, and investment, and have backed one of their employees, when most club boards would not have.

Like it or not, they are bigger than NP, as any sensible businessman would tell you.

Why not?

Anyway, I'm not saying their role is less important. I'm saying that Pearson is a better manager, than they are owners.

But I'm glad you're clearly now happy to accept that me preferring Pearson to our owners, isn't the same as me preferring Pearson to the Football Club. Which was your initial suggestion.

The first manager to get us promoted in 10 years, so give him time to see how he can adapt to the Premier League.

Those names in the frame are no improvement on Nige anyway, wouldn't take any of them over him now.

Has Nigel signed a new contract??? May have new manager next year???

I am not quite sure I understand the question-what exactly is 'supporting the owners'? Whatever they did wrong (pretty much) I'd still go to games, still call myself a Leicester fan, but that's about supporting the club, not the board.

CPF, you've said some people who are saying do or don't sack him are missing the point, but it's a grey area. In your scenario: Would I wave a banner in support of Nige? Yes. Would I chant something vaguely offensive about the board should they make the sacking that I disagreed with? Probably. Would I refuse to enter the stadium or buy a shirt? No. Would I feel sad but forget it relatively quickly if the new guy was successful? Again, probably.

I can't envisage a scenario next year where NP would deserve the sack-even if we go down he would be my choice to win promotion. But the level of outrage would depend on how we are playing. Nigel has shown that long term planning is a strength, so assuming the team shows development then I'd be very disparaging of the owners. But it wouldn't affect my 'going to game' choices at all, unless the new guy was an absolute horror (Sven/Wise/Marlon King).

Finally, almost every manager has a duff second season. Clarke and Laudrup are high profile recent examples, and getting rid was palpably a mistake. So, to answer a question nobody asked, in the same scenario but December 2015, I'd definitely keep him.

Id like to see us break the mould in these circumstances qnd stick with Nigel. Too many have felt the need to change manager as soon as things get tough. I just dont see how this can be a good environment for the club.

The situations at Palace and Southampton have worked though I suppose.

Guest MattP

Id like to see us break the mould in these circumstances qnd stick with Nigel. Too many have felt the need to change manager as soon as things get tough. I just dont see how this can be a good environment for the club.

The situations at Palace and Southampton have worked though I suppose.

Palace isn't really an example to use, Hollohead is a dreadful manager, he took them backwards last season and scrambled them up through the play offs.

Southampton is probably the only example we can use of a successful manager being sacked and the club going forward, it shouldn't be something to aspire to and it's an exception rather than the norm.

The owners got the Sven sacking spot on for me. I think when you spend that much and are quite clearly a bang average side then the season is effectively a write-off barring a miracle.

Truth be told I lost faith in the 2011/12 season just three games in. Maybe a bit early I know, but I saw very little to convince me we were going up that year. Remember being absolutely livid after that Bristol City loss thinking... I hope this is just a blip. I wouldn't have condoned them sacking Sven just three games in but my fears were definitely confirmed a few weeks later and the Millwall loss really was so bad... he just had to go. We were a shambles and the longer he was here the more damage he was doing.

They've also got the Pearson appointment and backing of him spot on too. If there's one thing I'll give them credit for it's how they've handled their managers. Wasn't it Mandaric who brought Sven here? It was very easy to fall for the Sven hype at the time.

I'm glad we had Sven now. Now that we've actually got out of his shambolic reign we've got ourselves into a strong position with the lesson learned (you'd like to hope) that throwing money and banking on 'names' isn't the answer and never has been.

I think the journey to promotion, the things we've been through along the way, is going to be what keeps us up next year and it's why I have faith that this thread will remain largely hypothetical.

Top " Nige I have your new contract all you gatta do is sign it"

Nige "Top with all due respect shove it up your arse all our fans ever do is talk about me being sacked"

Top " Nige no need to be like that mate"

Nige "Top I.m going to look for a club where play off's and promotion means the world to the fans and they support me"

Nige " If you don't believe me just check out that fvcking foxestalk"

If you seriously think that's the case then bloody hell.

Name a club in the country where on a forum as big as this (and it is MASSIVE compared to most clubs' forums) that the possibility isn't being explored.

I don't get why you, and others in this thread have taken this thread this way. No-one (other than the odd clown) has called for him to go now. It's a realistic scenario in a very high pace league.

We've had a moron element with Pearson since he returned (last season more than ever) but we're far more welcoming of him than Hull were.

Palace isn't really an example to use, Hollohead is a dreadful manager, he took them backwards last season and scrambled them up through the play offs.

Southampton is probably the only example we can use of a successful manager being sacked and the club going forward, it shouldn't be something to aspire to and it's an exception rather than the norm.

Correct. Southampton landed a genuinely quality coach as well. Had a very decent record at Espanyol if I remember rightly.

I am not quite sure I understand the question-what exactly is 'supporting the owners'? Whatever they did wrong (pretty much) I'd still go to games, still call myself a Leicester fan, but that's about supporting the club, not the board.

CPF, you've said some people who are saying do or don't sack him are missing the point, but it's a grey area. In your scenario: Would I wave a banner in support of Nige? Yes. Would I chant something vaguely offensive about the board should they make the sacking that I disagreed with? Probably. Would I refuse to enter the stadium or buy a shirt? No. Would I feel sad but forget it relatively quickly if the new guy was successful? Again, probably.

I can't envisage a scenario next year where NP would deserve the sack-even if we go down he would be my choice to win promotion. But the level of outrage would depend on how we are playing. Nigel has shown that long term planning is a strength, so assuming the team shows development then I'd be very disparaging of the owners. But it wouldn't affect my 'going to game' choices at all, unless the new guy was an absolute horror (Sven/Wise/Marlon King).

Finally, almost every manager has a duff second season. Clarke and Laudrup are high profile recent examples, and getting rid was palpably a mistake. So, to answer a question nobody asked, in the same scenario but December 2015, I'd definitely keep him.

I would say that generally we support the owners and the decisions they have made, we appreciate the contribution they have made to the club, and how they have helped us get to where we are now. That wasn't always the case though, there was distrust when they first came in, partly due to NP leaving, then the Sven experiment caused more doubt that they knew what they were doing, then sacking him made others question their ability.

Since then they have won most of the supporters round, but would sacking Nige after a very poor start to next season, with the best interests of the club at heart, prem survival, lead people to lose faith in their competency.

I didn't want to get into boycotts and ripping up season tickets, because first and foremost we are all fans of the club, but would you start to criticise the owners, and accuse them of not being fit to run a football club, not have faith in their long term plan and start hoping they will bugger off, like people did with Mandy, or Martin George, or like fans of Cardiff and Hull are now? Or would you support the decision as the right one to bring the club further success and for being in the best interests of the club?

It is more about your attitude towards the owners.

Archived