Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mozartfox

LCFC - Thai Academy.

Doesn't need to be a figure, just more presence! You hear of a lot more trials/academy places for youngsters with Notts/Cov/Northampton than with Leicester who live in Leicester

The harsh reality is that those clubs are fishing in a different pond to City

Without doubt a lot of local boys playing on the parks are as good if not better than those lads at Cov County etc hence they get asked to go for trials there. These same boys would be asked to trial at City if they were good enough

How do you know how many scouts are out there on a Sat / Sun ? Do they all wear some kind of uniform ?

The harsh reality is that those clubs are fishing in a different pond to City

Without doubt a lot of local boys playing on the parks are as good if not better than those lads at Cov County etc hence they get asked to go for trials there. These same boys would be asked to trial at City if they were good enough

How do you know how many scouts are out there on a Sat / Sun ? Do they all wear some kind of uniform ?

How do I know? Because I spend a lot of time helping with youth teams and it's more of the teams that I've mentioned that ask around, city will ask for a trial whilst their with a club academy.

The point I'm trying to make here mate is that no matter how big of a club you are you should always look around at your local talent, it helps the club nurturing a talent, more likely player will be more loyal, fans love them and gives a lot of hope to other lads in the area- E.G Liam Moore

An interesting question would be how many 'local' lads have turned up at other clubs academies & 'made it' - how many local lads have we actually missed out on? I have no idea to be honest.

Listening to EGB it must be running into hundreds ...

Don't even know why I entered into a discussion with a bloke that wears a vest for work ...

If individuals want to make it in football, they will. All local kids go to school, who have school teams, who will play in local tournaments. Team coach's will have contacts with the clubs community officers and so on. If they show the promise they will get taken further. I would even say that a number of players who get picked up fall out of love with the sport due to the constant and repetitive nature of training towards a lad that just wants t see his mates. I have experienced this first hand playing with multiple SERIOUSLY talented rugby players give up the chase at 17/18 and are contempt at playing Saturday rugby with your mates. (I have played for a premiership rugby academy before anyone pipes in)

Players will find their way if they are good enough. Just because a young lad looks good on a sunday/saturday morning playing with players he is clearly better than, doesnt mean he deserves to be signed to a professional club, let alone a Prem club...

Ever heard the saying 'Big fish, little pond...'? 

Just for the record, Teerasil Dangda is a THAI player currently with AC ALMERIA in La Liga. So just as

Japanese and Korean players have done in the past, it is not beyond the realms of probability that a Thai

player will one day make it his debut in the EPL.

Long-term marketing investment. Shrewd. It's highly unlikely they'll generate an EPL player anytime in the future, but anything that embeds us within Thai footballing culture and has generations knowing our name, buying our shirts, and watching our games, then I'm all for it.

Amen. Imagine if we did produce a Thai player and we are in the prem? Them shirt sales..

I'm fairly sure United had a young Thai keeper only a year or so ago. I doubt he ever even made the bench for the first team on any occasion, but I'd still say that classes as a Thai EPL player.

The guy mentioned before was on Man City's books as well for a while, albeit while Thaksin Shinawatra was the owner. He couldn't get a work permit so didnt play. But i doubt it'll be long at all before we see more Thai players in the prem.

Thailand loves football. Establishing this academy is such a forward-thinking and savvy move in my opinion. Living in Thailand, I was constantly reminded of how large a role the sport plays in Thai culture and how much more room it has to grow in the hearts and minds of Thai people. It wasn't uncommon to have a little girl telling you about her favorite players for Liverpool, to see a motor bike drive by completely decked out in Manchester United regalia, or to see numerous pick-up games filling the athletic fields on the side of the road on any given afternoon.

Throughout Thailand there is an incredible amount of interest in the EPL and it is a market that has remained largely untapped except for a handful of bigger clubs. Having a popular and wealthy Thai family in power makes Leicester City the perfect club to begin developing an avid fan base and support system in-country. While it would be amazing to develop the first Thai player to play in the EPL, I believe the main benefit will be to promote the sport, get young people involved, and really begin to cultivate a thriving fan base for LCFC in a largely untapped market. Thailand is a highly enthusiastic and positive place and I think this will be the beginning of a productive global partnership that Leicester City fans can be proud of.

I work in Malaysia 12 weeks a year and all you bloody see everywhere is Man U and Liverpool shirts/car

stickers etc. Whilst some shirts are doubtless copies, some are for sure original! Pushing Leicester in

Thailand is a fantastic initiative that can only have a positive outcome for LCFC. Very well done Owners!

• 6 months later...

This may be a clever move as although foreign players will find it harder to get work permits here, especially as now the FA want, quite rightly, to increase English players in the Premier league, they will all be under 16 when they arrive, study football for two years, the best taken by the club and then train with the academy for a few years. After this they may well qualify to stay with the club as residency rules will kick in after 5 years I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at some of these goals ahahahaha

lol

Wow, both goalkeepers. I hope they keep recording more of these games, especially when there are 10 goals scored.

Some of the Thai players looked pretty good. I presume they were playing Chelsea players of similar age groups.

• 9 months later...

Thailand loves football. Establishing this academy is such a forward-thinking and savvy move in my opinion. Living in Thailand, I was constantly reminded of how large a role the sport plays in Thai culture and how much more room it has to grow in the hearts and minds of Thai people. It wasn't uncommon to have a little girl telling you about her favorite players for Liverpool, to see a motor bike drive by completely decked out in Manchester United regalia, or to see numerous pick-up games filling the athletic fields on the side of the road on any given afternoon.

Throughout Thailand there is an incredible amount of interest in the EPL and it is a market that has remained largely untapped except for a handful of bigger clubs. Having a popular and wealthy Thai family in power makes Leicester City the perfect club to begin developing an avid fan base and support system in-country. While it would be amazing to develop the first Thai player to play in the EPL, I believe the main benefit will be to promote the sport, get young people involved, and really begin to cultivate a thriving fan base for LCFC in a largely untapped market. Thailand is a highly enthusiastic and positive place and I think this will be the beginning of a productive global partnership that Leicester City fans can be proud of.

Spot on. With all EPL matches live on TV for much more reasonable prices than in the UK, and you can watch almost wall to wall full EPL matches from Monday's to Saturday's.

The markets out here are full of copy shirts, and it's great to see LCFC shirts now popping up in the remotest of places! 

A few years ago when we were lower championship under Levine, I was buying a bag in a shopping centre. The Thai assistant asked me in very broken English if I liked football (this happens a lot over here, even when I was buying a pick up truck!). I told him yes, and he asked me if I supported the usual (Man Ure, Liverpool, Chelski, Arsenal, etc) and I said, no, I support Leicester City. I was amazed when he reeled off EVERY Leicester player from that squad. All in broken English. 

It will be HUGE for Leicester City if we produce a player from our Thailand academy, it will be huge for Asia too, as we are seeing, and benefiting from already with Okazaki. 

EPL football in Thailand is massive and it will be great if we can be part of it for a very long time to come.

Archived