Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Next Leader of the Opposition

154 members have voted

1. 1. Labour Party (v2)

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

Would this mean people can afford to travel by train again?  If so I'm all for putting it back into the state's hands.

Either way would - privatise it and there's genuine competition, providers will either have to invest in a far better service or undercut them (basically the waitrose or Lidl approach), nationalise it and there's no profit incentive so the service should become affordable. The half-way house we've got at the moment is just the worst of both worlds.

Either way would - privatise it and there's genuine competition, providers will either have to invest in a far better service or undercut them (basically the waitrose or Lidl approach), nationalise it and there's no profit incentive so the service should become affordable. The half-way house we've got at the moment is just the worst of both worlds.

Would there be though?  From what I've seen we'd just end up with monopolies in different regions, pushing prices ever higher.

Would there be though?  From what I've seen we'd just end up with monopolies in different regions, pushing prices ever higher.

What we've got at the moment is a franchised system, so the monopolies exist, meaning one service controls an entire network, leaving you with no choice but to use them. If you fully privatise it then other services can run on the same line, providing everyone with the choice of which one to use meaning the services have to compete. It's not as simple as a supermarket because it would need to run on a timetable, and given the choice I'd prefer nationalisation for the simplicity, but privatisation would be better than this franchised system.

Would there be though? From what I've seen we'd just end up with monopolies in different regions, pushing prices ever higher.

Of course there would - look at what happened with the electricity/gas suppliers.... Oh, wait.

What we've got at the moment is a franchised system, so the monopolies exist, meaning one service controls an entire network, leaving you with no choice but to use them. If you fully privatise it then other services can run on the same line, providing everyone with the choice of which one to use meaning the services have to compete. It's not as simple as a supermarket because it would need to run on a timetable, and given the choice I'd prefer nationalisation for the simplicity, but privatisation would be better than this franchised system.

Different companies offer the same or similar services on the same piece of track is not practical  apart from anything else there isn't  enough space

It also been shown to not work even when there is space as with buses where you get two company buses tracking each other and yet the prices keep rising because they match each other rather than under price each other.

Companies are only interested  in the profitable routes with the others subsidised by the public when what would be the ideal would be the surplus from the popular routes supporting/subsidising the others.

No idea why people are talking about it anyway.

Most rail franchises are up for renewal anyway over the next five years, Corbyn would need to win three elections let alone one to actually implement this and even the biggest Corbynista wouldn't claim that's near to really.

Most rail franchises are up for renewal anyway over the next five years, Corbyn would need to win three elections let alone one to actually implement this and even the biggest Corbynista wouldn't claim that's near to really.

Just force nationalisation  :)

Rather that then whether his top shirt button should be done up or not.

So Corbyn not  taking a freebie rugby game  ticket  because he was doing his job  is more important news than news about rail  services?

7th hour of monthly walk-in MPs advice session & still more people to see because of the many problems faced by those who have come for help

Can't believe I just spent three minutes reading that, no wonder the Guardian's circulation is at am all time low.

What happened to the decent left wing columnists like Owen Jones, Phillip Collins, Will Self etc - at least they made you think and engage rather than nonsense from a half baked comedian.

Maybe the Mail will have Chubby Brown doing a piece next week.

LOLZ Ken.

Does the Z show how radical I am?

Can't believe I just spent three minutes reading that, no wonder the Guardian's circulation is at am all time low.

What happened to the decent left wing columnists like Owen Jones, Phillip Collins, Will Self etc - at least they made you think and engage rather than nonsense from a half baked comedian.

LOLZ Ken.

Because articles don't always have to be written by one of the main columnists, and some are written as more tongue in cheek then actually making a truly serious point. You used many posts on here telling us all we shouldn't listen to certain ring wing columnist like Katie Hopkins because they aren't making legitimate points they're doing it for other reasons, in her case attention.

LOLZ*

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/20/jeremy-corbyn-court-jester-satirise-politics

*Apparently nobody LOLs anymore, so the time is right for me to start

Nice piece.  I found it quite amusing.

Of course the anti-Corbynites will not see the humour because being anti-Corbyn is not a good start when reading it as their mind is already made up to still be anti-Corbyn after reading it.

LOLZ Ken.

That's it? That's your response?

Like Lee, I don't expect Corbyn to be PM. However I do expect him to hold a mirror up to politics, and hopefully get people actually thinking for themselves, and perhaps move away from the direction the country and its politics is currently heading.

That's really rather pathetic, Matt.

I'd expect no less, he's become a really shite poster over the last 6 months. Just trolls Ken and boasts about his Corbyn-baiting. He used to actually provoke discussion and put his points across well, not anymore.

I'd expect no less, he's become a really shite poster over the last 6 months. Just trolls Ken and boasts about his Corbyn-baiting. He used to actually provoke discussion and put his points across well, not anymore.

Don't be too harsh - he's missing his sidekick.

Sideshow Claridge and Little Johnny just don't cut the mustard.

Points taken guys, I'll have a look at myself and review what I've put in this thread when I have a bit more time.

Maybe I have become what I shouldn't be, it's happened to other posters (Daggers was the best on this forum before turning into a moron) so perhaps my shelf life is done as well.

Am I missing something? Why shouldn't Matt be able to send questions to Corbyn to read out? Because he's not a leftie?

He should if he want a question asked. He clearing doing it to troll Corbyn and waste his time. And he's proud of it too.

Not remotely bothered about questioning from Rince; Buce etc - we know what they are about.

Facecloth though is a fantastic poster, if he's saying the things he does I do need a look in the mirror.

Archived