Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The EU referendum - IN / OUT or Shake it all about.

This threads getting weird. Blowing smoke up webbos arse to get him out of the country by 2017?

I just find it odd that someone relatively intelligent would see themselves as some kind of modern serf tied to working for state, voting for who will be their Lord and master and unable to break out of this servitude. The state is supposed to serve the public

It is different, you know it is. i don't want a larger less accountable political system, im happy for trade agreements, even trade legislation but beyond that is too much.

Are you happier voting in Local elections than the UK General election then? I think your fear is inconsistent and unfounded.

If he's voted for by my fellow countrymen I can live with that. I don't want someone in charge of me because France and Germany have voted for him.

Wow! Just Wow!

Opinion polls suggest that "stay in" would now win.

We all know how reliable opinion polls are.

In fairness, the opinion polls last week had a number of challenges. The rise of two newly empowered parties and the collapse of another was not something that had been previously factored in. The Shy Tories of 92 also name a comeback.

An In Out poll doesn't face the same challenges. If anything, I think the In vote might be underestimated once all the major parties throw their weight behind it.

Are you happier voting in Local elections than the UK General election then? I think your fear is inconsistent and unfounded.

Not really, but I feel a single MP is more accountable than a set of councillors.

In fairness, the opinion polls last week had a number of challenges. The rise of two newly empowered parties and the collapse of another was not something that had been previously factored in. The Shy Tories of 92 also name a comeback.

An In Out poll doesn't face the same challenges. If anything, I think the In vote might be underestimated once all the major parties throw their weight behind it.

Regardless of your stance on the EU, telling pollsters you intend to vote out would strengthen our bargaining hand for the negotiations.

Regardless of your stance on the EU, telling pollsters you intend to vote out would strengthen our bargaining hand for the negotiations.

Close polls would definitely strengthen our bargaining position. I don't expect the In campaigns to start until after negotiations, the irony is that UKIP could help Cameron get a better deal and therefore ultimately cement our EU place.

Close polls would definitely strengthen our bargaining position. I don't expect the In campaigns to start until after negotiations, the irony is that UKIP could help Cameron get a better deal and therefore ultimately cement our EU place.

As much as I despise the EU, I don't believe for a moment we will exit it. The best we can hope for is a great deal, that can only come from a strong out campaign.

I think original negotiations will come before the campaign but if its looking close, a few more sweeteners will get thrown in before the vote.

In - yes, I want some reform to the current arrangement (as most people do) but the endless benefits it gives our country in trading power and negotiation far outweighs any negatives. I'm self employed and I know the outreach of my business goes beyond UK borders as I've seen beforehand. I'm sure the same would be said of most other business owners and all the big corporates swear by being in the EU. I think that we would probably lose a lot of our overseas car contracts if we left the EU too which helps greatly towards our GDP share.

There are many other benefits too I haven't even touched on, including the endless funding campaigns they support, which have helped to revitalise some of our own local projects - Snibston to name but one and HOPEFULLY there is still some reconsideration to that end, would be a massive shame to see it shut.

All in all, if we leave, we would be massive idiots: I cannot sugar coat it sadly.

I just find it odd that someone relatively intelligent would see themselves as some kind of modern serf tied to working for state, voting for who will be their Lord and master and unable to break out of this servitude. The state is supposed to serve the public

As much as respect you for being the brave nomadic mutineer that you clearly are, willing and able to make the epic 20 mile voyage across the Dover straight to the exotic climes of mainland Europe in defiance of all the powers that try to stop you, surely you can appreciate that some people just aren't that interested in working in dusseldorf even if it was a practical possibility.

In - yes, I want some reform to the current arrangement (as most people do) but the endless benefits it gives our country in trading power and negotiation far outweighs any negatives. I'm self employed and I know the outreach of my business goes beyond UK borders as I've seen beforehand. I'm sure the same would be said of most other business owners and all the big corporates swear by being in the EU. I think that we would probably lose a lot of our overseas car contracts if we left the EU too which helps greatly towards our GDP share.

There are many other benefits too I haven't even touched on, including the endless funding campaigns they support, which have helped to revitalise some of our own local projects - Snibston to name but one and HOPEFULLY there is still some reconsideration to that end, would be a massive shame to see it shut.

All in all, if we leave, we would be massive idiots: I cannot sugar coat it sadly.

True the EU does fund some local projects, but as I mentioned in my earlier post, we pay around 17bn Euros in and we get 6.2bn back.  The EU slapping their flag on investment projects cannot disguise the fact that most of our money is going elsewhere. 

All these people telling me I'm intelligent,or reasonably intelligent. I can't work out whether they're trying to flatter me into agreeing or just being patronising.

If we can't discuss things without questioning each person intellect then I won't bother.

All these people telling me I'm intelligent,or reasonably intelligent. I can't work out whether they're trying to flatter me into agreeing or just being patronising.

If we can't discuss things without questioning each person intellect then I won't bother.

That's just stupid ;)

Re getting money back I think part of the problem is we've been slow to get some of this money back as it seems to me a lot of it is down to regional/local bidding.

I've been to France a few times and their city centres, sea fronts and general leisure facilities have benefited plenty from Euro funding and I've seen documentaries on how much Spain has managed to draw in (and waste it would seem)

I don't know why this is are we as a nation not keen on what can appear to be 'begging' ?

I've noticed in spite of what many think about Soulsby he does at least look like he's making a decent fist of getting Euro funding for his pet projects.

If it makes you feel better I think you're a div.

As much as respect you for being the brave nomadic mutineer that you clearly are, willing and able to make the epic 20 mile voyage across the Dover straight to the exotic climes of mainland Europe in defiance of all the powers that try to stop you, surely you can appreciate that some people just aren't that interested in working in dusseldorf even if it was a practical possibility.

and they would like to make it difficult for those who would? Surely not, otherwise those adventurous souls may stay in Blighty and take other people's jobs.

Open your mind.

and they would like to make it difficult for those who would? Surely not, otherwise those adventurous souls may stay in Blighty and take other people's jobs.

Open your mind.

Yeah because that's how it works lol

Open your mind.

I believe that the UK should have the right to control it's own borders and if other countries want that right then they should have it too. Most countries around the world do have that right. If it means that some Brits will no longer be able to work in those countries because they no longer meet the criteria that those countries choose to enforce then so be it. No country should be forced to accept people it doesn't need or want.

Net immigration from the EU in 2014 was 162,000 so your 2nd argument is totally false.

Archived