Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The EU referendum - IN / OUT or Shake it all about.

Each company is going to have a vested interest though, isn't it?

The only way we'll know what will happen is by pulling out. Maybe we could have a trial separation, some kind of temporary uncoupling. You know, see other people for a while, go travelling, work on our chi.

Each company is going to have a vested interest though, isn't it?

The only way we'll know what will happen is by pulling out. Maybe we could have a trial separation, some kind of temporary uncoupling. You know, see other people for a while, go travelling, work on our chi.

I think that's impossible - in a practical sense.

The EU is like a marriage that has run its course. In the early days she was a stunner and you were proud to walk down the street with her, now she's an overweight, nagging old battleaxe. The marriage councillors are trying to save us but she is reluctant to have plastic surgery and prozac. So we have to convince her to bring herself up to required standard or start looking at bedsits. Anyone know of any decent one bed apartments?

The EU is like a marriage that has run its course. In the early days she was a stunner and you were proud to walk down the street with her, now she's an overweight, nagging old battleaxe. The marriage councillors are trying to save us but she is reluctant to have plastic surgery and prozac. So we have to convince her to bring herself up to required standard or start looking at bedsits. Anyone know of any decent one bed apartments?

lol

For the sake of your physical health, I hope that no female posters who know where you live get to see this post! 

lol

For the sake of your physical health, I hope that no female posters who know where you live get to see this post!

lol

I'm not backtracking but the sex of the two is irrelevant, I'm sure some eloquent female could produce a far better version in reverse ;)

Care to have a go FIF :P

lol

I'm not backtracking but the sex of the two is irrelevant, I'm sure some eloquent female could produce a far better version in reverse ;)

You're scared of the AoWW backlash now, aren't you?  :D

I'd be scared....very scared!

Does that make the UK - the fat,lazy, ignorant balding guy who spends his time on the internet and gets his rocks off over Rachel pics on a football forum?

At least the UK will still have their meals cooked for them.

lol

I don't think you're my type. ;)

Does that make the UK - the fat,lazy, ignorant balding guy who spends his time on the internet and gets his rocks off over Rachel pics on a football forum?

At least the UK will still have their meals cooked for them.

I don't think you're my type. ;)

No the UK is that dashing middle aged fella that just seems to get better looking with age, he has just won at the bookies but is wondering how he keep his winnings from his wife.

OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT!  BLOODY WELL OUT!  SUCKS TO THE OTHER COUNTRIES.   OUT! OUT!

RULE BRITANNIA!

And that is the reason referendum's don't always work.

I'm still unsure as to whether DT is a satirical account of Morris levels of genius or a genuinely insane old man who shouldn't be allowed near matches or sharp objects.

More Media/UKIP/Tory scaremongering.

That isn't the case, as you should well know

Bollocks! It would be in your interests, as you appear to live in France.

It will become a Federal Europe, with the scummy French and Germans, pulling the strings, so don't try pretending it wont be, with Gb being a little minnow in a massive pond.

I'm still unsure as to whether DT is a satirical account of Morris levels of genius or a genuinely insane old man who shouldn't be allowed near matches or sharp objects.

lol  lol  Now why did you make me laugh, it bloody hurts in this plaster

Erm. I'll see if I can find a spare scalpel lying around tonight. :thumbup:

To those who are "out", do you think an "in" result will satisfy you?

Would it quell your euroscepticism to know that the majority of voters voted for "in"?

Depends on the reforms really, it's hard to say without the knowledge of them. I'm not expecting us to leave but I'm never going to be pro political union with Europe, if we get a deal that resembles the original idea of a common market, I'd be over the moon tbf.

Having worked in finance most of my life, I can't really see any tangible benefit in staying in. The experiment seems to me to have run it's course. IMO it will never work whilst we are still all individual nations with our own histories, culture, requirements and differing outlooks on life. There will never be any common goals, every country looks out for itself. Can't see this changing.

We are not even fully part of the EU having dodged a couple of bullets with the euro and Schengen Treaty (open borders).

With nationalism on the rise again, some countries strong, some weak, too much corruption at the centre, mismanagement at every level, whilst there may well be a Yes vote, we will lurch from economic crisis to economic crisis for the next several decades. IMO.

Having worked in finance most of my life, I can't really see any tangible benefit in staying in. The experiment seems to me to have run it's course. IMO it will never work whilst we are still all individual nations with our own histories, culture, requirements and differing outlooks on life. There will never be any common goals, every country looks out for itself. Can't see this changing.

We are not even fully part of the EU having dodged a couple of bullets with the euro and Schengen Treaty (open borders).

With nationalism on the rise again, some countries strong, some weak, too much corruption at the centre, mismanagement at every level, whilst there may well be a Yes vote, we will lurch from economic crisis to economic crisis for the next several decades. IMO.

Very good, and accurate post.

• 2 weeks later...

More than 50 Conservative MPs have formed a group to put pressure on David Cameron to demand more in his EU negotiations.

The group - Conservatives for Britain - will style itself as a supporter of the prime minister's renegotiation plans.

But the MPs warn that unless Mr Cameron gets radical change to the relationship with Europe, they will campaign for a No vote in the referendum due by 2017.

Group members include former ministers Owen Paterson and John Redwood.

The group is pushing for "fundamental" reform including restricting freedom of movement in the EU and making Westminster sovereign over EU law.

Its co-chair, MEP David Campbell Bannerman told the BBC: "We are backing the PM. We are backing the government on renegotiation but we do want to see serious fundamental reform.

"Anything that smacks of tokenism or minor change is not saleable to the British electorate."

He denied the group was a "nascent out campaign", but its name echoes the title of another Eurosceptic group supporting a renegotiated settlement in Europe - Business for Britain.

Conservatives for Britain, which is run by MP Steve Baker in the House of Commons, has already met and plans further meetings in the week ahead.

It is hopeful of getting the support of more 100 Conservative MPs.

Writing in The Sunday Telegraph, Mr Baker said: "We wish David Cameron every success but, unless senior EU officials awake to the possibility that one of the EU's largest members is serious about a fundamental change in our relationship, our recommendation to British voters seems likely to be exit."

The MP for Wycombe added: "Crucially, we must end the supremacy of EU law over ever more matters of British life. That appears to be the majority view among Conservative members of Parliament.

"We need a Parliament which can decide the level of British taxpayers' contributions to the EU, what regulations should apply to our businesses, how to control EU migration and our trade relations with the rest of the world."

Former cabinet minister Owen Paterson said Eurosceptic ministers should be allowed to campaign for a No vote if they "are not happy with the deal".

"If that is not allowed, these people - if they have got any character about them at all and are interested in the future of their country - should stand down and campaign according to their conscience," he said.

'No influence'
_83131372_davidcameron.jpgDavid Cameron will face a tough battle with other EU nations when negotiations commence

Mr Cameron has opened talks with other European leaders including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Polish Prime Minister Ewa Kopacz - who both want to ensure the UK stays in the EU.

Rafal Trzaskowski, Poland's secretary of state for European affairs, said those who would vote in the UK referendum must be told the truth about the consequences of leaving the EU.

He told the Observer: "If you say you can leave and still be part of the internal market and keep your second houses, that you will still be free to travel, that there will be no customs duties, and so on and so forth - but that you will not have to accept free movement of workers, and you will not pay into the EU budget, of course people will vote to leave, but this is simply not true," he said.

"You cannot keep all the goodies and forget about the costs. Britain will still have to pay into the EU budget, just as the Swiss and Norwegians do," he added.

"It would have no influence over the decisions yet it would have to subscribe to all the rules."

Mr Cameron is expected to set out more detailed demands for a new deal at a summit in Brussels later this month.

The new terms of Britain's membership will then be put to the public in a referendum before the end of 2017, asking whether Britain should remain in the EU.

Archived