Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Mass Effect Andromeda

10 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Playing some more it's clear that it is an unfinished game but it's still keeping some of that ME charm. Apparently it gets load better when you finish priority 3 and really starts to open up.

Criticising the characters is unfair as they had 3 games to build those guys up in the original trilogy. Cora and Liam are much better than Ashley and Kaiden were in 1. It's definitely been placed on a pedestal, whereas if you take it for what it is, it's a great game.

Completely agree with the pacing of it LIB. The story hasn't grabbed me yet but because the side content is decent, I haven't been at all bored. That's where DAI failed for me and where something like The Witcher killed it. As somebody said, every quest in a game is essentially a fetch quest and most of these don't seem too arbitrary.

For anyone who is a fan of the original trilogy, I would defo recommend this. For those who haven't played, i would suggest holding out for some patches before picking up if you have other behemoths on the go (Zelda, Witcher, Horizon etc)

Agree with your first point.  I decided to venture off track a little last night and attempted to explore more of Eos.  I ended up travelling through a cave system under the hills, past an outpost and into a level 2 radiation area telling me to backtrack quickly.  I was trying to track down an Alec Ryder memory.  No choice, I turned back.  Thought I'd stop off and take out the outpost in the cave, became too overconfident and got taken out.  The quick save didn't load back up.  Rebooted the game, still no luck.

Went back to a save from 5 minutes earlier and all was good.  Save and save often.  Have 4 saves on the go - saving on two separate game files when exiting the game should cover it. 

It happens to the best.  Skyrim broke on me because my only game save kept loading back right until the final blow that took me out and there was no getting out of it.  I gave up on that in the end.

I never tried DAI, gave up with it after DA2 just didn't have the draw that the original had.  Witcher 3 also had its fair share of bugs on release - I didn't pick it up until quite a while later after all the bugs were ironed out.  As for ME:A I did clear that scan the bodies quest last night - a pain since they didn't show on the map but luckily stumbled on the last one I needed.  It's a little rough around the edges but as a game, it's drawing me in, so it's all good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Just a heads up.  Go to Havarl first otherwise it glitches once you go there after Voeld and you can't land.

Patch required!

Thank god I went there first!

I think I'm getting fairly close to the end of the main storyline now, just been tasked with attacking the Archon ship

One thing I am wondering, is why does the game ask you which sex Commander Shepard was during character creation? I haven't heard him referenced to a single time during the game so it's odd it asks you the question

Edited by MrSpaM

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Just a heads up.  Go to Havarl first otherwise it glitches once you go there after Voeld and you can't land.

Patch required!

Story wise, it makes more sense to do Havarl first anyway, since the main quest happens on Voeld so it flows nicer to not leave Havarl.

You managed to continue though LIB or are you totally stuck?

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Thank god I went there first!

I think I'm getting fairly close to the end of the main storyline now, just been tasked with attacking the Archon ship

One thing I am wondering, is why does the game ask you which sex Commander Shepard was during character creation? I haven't heard him referenced to a single time during the game so it's odd it asks you the question

The main questline is pretty short so It's good to do the planet settling. In fact, lots of the game doesn't open up until you get mission 5 (there's only 6) so it makes sense to plough ahead then explore.

Had nothing in reference to Shepard yet. It's supposedly very small anyway. Still wish they hadn't botched the ending in 3 as the Milky way just works better

26 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Story wise, it makes more sense to do Havarl first anyway, since the main quest happens on Voeld so it flows nicer to not leave Havarl.

You managed to continue though LIB or are you totally stuck?

I have managed to continue after I decided to read up on what was best to tackle next and saw the glitch comments so thought it best to pass the info on.

Is it possible to pick up better weapons through exploration or do I have to craft everything?  The rifle seems a little underpowered still to me, perhaps I am getting impatient and thought that ploughing skill points into my character would speed things up a bit.

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Patch required!

Love me them open world games where the game breaks when you go somewhere in the open world. That's really what I'm paying the money for good job Bioware.

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Love me them open world games where the game breaks when you go somewhere in the open world. That's really what I'm paying the money for good job Bioware.

I remember an instance in ME 1 when you'd just finished clearing a mine of Rachni. Upon exiting the place, the frame rate started to drop massively and the movements became so jittery that you had to restart from the last (auto)save.

Bottom line is, the whole series has at one point or another been marred by design flaws or technical issues, so ME: A is nothing new in that regard.

The only way to counter unwelcome events:

SAVE

SAVE
SAVE

So I'm looking at various builds and want to switch setups depending on the situation.

What works best?  Any recommendations?

I currently have a decent biotic build and use throw and pull with singularity.  Pretty effective.  

Although points can be re-spent I'd rather get it right first time.

Patch 1.05 will roll out on Thursday as follows:

Patch 1.05 Notes

Improved tutorial placement

Increased inventory limits

Single player balance changes: Ammo crates, armor, weapons, nomad, profiles, attacks, and progression

Multiplayer balance changes: Weapons, cover, and enemies (check back for detailed notes on balance changes)

Improved matchmaking and latency in multiplayer

Added option to skip autopilot sequences in the galaxy map

Decreased the cost of remnant decryption keys and made them more accessible at merchants

Improved logic, timing, and continuity for relationships and story arcs

Improved lip-sync and facial acting during conversations, including localized VO

Fixed an issue with Ryder’s movements when running in a zig zag pattern

Improved the appearance of eyes for human and asari characters

Fixed various collision issues

Fixed bugs where music or VO wouldn’t play or wasn’t correct

Fixed issue where global squad mate banter sometimes wasn’t firing on UNCs

Fixed issue where player was unable to access the Remnant Console Interface after failing decryption multiple times

Fixed issue where fast travel is sometimes disabled after recruiting Drack until the player reloads a save

Fixed issue where Ryder can become stuck in the start of Biotic Charge Pose

Fixes issues related to some saves

Fixed issue where objective sometimes becomes un-interactable for players in multiplayer

Streaming and stability improvements

I guess the biggest "noticeable" change is in the option to skip the planet to planet movement sequences in the galaxy map which I don't find a problem and quite like. 

They need to provide an option to save on main missions and in vaults imo.  Hopefully that will come in the near future. 

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Patch 1.05 will roll out on Thursday as follows:

Patch 1.05 Notes

Improved tutorial placement

Increased inventory limits

Single player balance changes: Ammo crates, armor, weapons, nomad, profiles, attacks, and progression

Multiplayer balance changes: Weapons, cover, and enemies (check back for detailed notes on balance changes)

Improved matchmaking and latency in multiplayer

Added option to skip autopilot sequences in the galaxy map

Decreased the cost of remnant decryption keys and made them more accessible at merchants

Improved logic, timing, and continuity for relationships and story arcs

Improved lip-sync and facial acting during conversations, including localized VO

Fixed an issue with Ryder’s movements when running in a zig zag pattern

Improved the appearance of eyes for human and asari characters

Fixed various collision issues

Fixed bugs where music or VO wouldn’t play or wasn’t correct

Fixed issue where global squad mate banter sometimes wasn’t firing on UNCs

Fixed issue where player was unable to access the Remnant Console Interface after failing decryption multiple times

Fixed issue where fast travel is sometimes disabled after recruiting Drack until the player reloads a save

Fixed issue where Ryder can become stuck in the start of Biotic Charge Pose

Fixes issues related to some saves

Fixed issue where objective sometimes becomes un-interactable for players in multiplayer

Streaming and stability improvements

I guess the biggest "noticeable" change is in the option to skip the planet to planet movement sequences in the galaxy map which I don't find a problem and quite like. 

They need to provide an option to save on main missions and in vaults imo.  Hopefully that will come in the near future. 

II agree, after spending 2 weeks on a planet its nice to kick back and scan stuff

Had a really weird bug last night when doing Vetra's companion quest. As soon as I entered the mission location she went into a 'T' pose, and spent the entire mission in that 'T' pose, hovering around the map, contributing nothing to the battles, it was also like it in all the cutscenes and dialogue. Really ruined the immersion

Edited by MrSpaM

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 20:21, Legend_in_blue said:

So I'm looking at various builds and want to switch setups depending on the situation.

What works best?  Any recommendations?

I currently have a decent biotic build and use throw and pull with singularity.  Pretty effective.  

Although points can be re-spent I'd rather get it right first time.

I've always played as soldier in previous games. This is the first time I've mixed things up.

I fine cross class combos work well. Overload is the best power IMO. Charge it up and you hit 3 enemies at once (more depending on how you upgrade). Then hit them with charge/concussive shot. Works a treat. Also very good on shields

Skill points are fairly liberal, so hopefully they're not bumping that down in the patch. I haven't made use of favourites yet but I think that will be the way to go in terms of dealing with shields/armour and synthetics/organics.

And I need to get flamethrower. Absolute carnage on ME3 multiplayer as the Vorcha with that and a Shotgun.

• Like 1

I've put 22 hours into this now and I've only just rescued the Moshae.  

That sentinel boss was a quality fight.  

The game is great.  Very enjoyable.  Just upgraded the nomad so looking forward to taking it out for a spin.  Such an improvement over ME1s mako.

That story twist though was quite predictable.  It's as though game devs are running out of ideas much like Hollywood.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I've put 22 hours into this now and I've only just rescued the Moshae.  

That sentinel boss was a quality fight.  

The game is great.  Very enjoyable.  Just upgraded the nomad so looking forward to taking it out for a spin.  Such an improvement over ME1s mako.

That story twist though was quite predictable.  It's as though game devs are running out of ideas much like Hollywood.

I have way too much time on my hands! Haha. Clocked in 40 hours! Although I am guilty of leaving it running without playing. Not that far past you but have 100% viability on 3 planets. Every time i think it starts to get a bit samey it picks up again.

The story does seem pretty so so but I wholly recommend to anyone. It's worth every penny.

Only have the 100% on Havarl at the moment.  In order to get the 100% on Eos, you need to take out the architect I think.  Is this correct?

I will probably clear the monoliths and vault on Voeld next.  As for one of many criticisms of the game, seriously the sudoku puzzles are a walk in the park.  Some serious idiots reviewing this game if they can't crack those.  Numpties.

13 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Only have the 100% on Havarl at the moment.  In order to get the 100% on Eos, you need to take out the architect I think.  Is this correct?

I will probably clear the monoliths and vault on Voeld next.  As for one of many criticisms of the game, seriously the sudoku puzzles are a walk in the park.  Some serious idiots reviewing this game if they can't crack those.  Numpties.

Dunno mate. I've done it but I'm sure you can reach 100% by just doing side quests. That architect was pretty tough until I worked on a plan. You might struggle with that biotic build of your though.

The puzzles aren't too bad but they do get a little tougher; more squares to fill, different patterns, grid shapes etc

The more I play, the more I think a stronger story and ironing out of the bugs and we'd be talking about a GOTY game. I've changed my recommendation; if you haven't got it, get it. Really is a fun game.

Some of the criticisms really are ridiculous. Just took on my second stronghold last night and they're really enjoyable. Bumping up my armour was revolutionary. Feel super powerful now but not so much so that I won't get obliterated if I don't concentrate!

42 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

The more I play, the more I think a stronger story and ironing out of the bugs and we'd be talking about a GOTY game. I've changed my recommendation; if you haven't got it, get it. Really is a fun game.

Some of the criticisms really are ridiculous. Just took on my second stronghold last night and they're really enjoyable. Bumping up my armour was revolutionary. Feel super powerful now but not so much so that I won't get obliterated if I don't concentrate!

GOTY lol let's keep it a tad realistic eh you lads would make your gushing a tad more believable if so. Ignoring the obvious A) it's April B) Breath of the wild is being viewed the best game this decade never mind this year.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

30 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

I still haven't genuinely come across any bugs at all.  What I would agree on with these critics though is the amount of side quests you literally have to wade through in order to find something really worthwhile that's as enjoyable as everything else.  There's too much fetch and carry.  Clearing this and that, getting rid of map notifications, it's all a bit too like an Assassins Creed checklist do this, do that, now do this and that.  Felt like this on Voeld.  You collect the side quests, do them, then more pop up in the area you just cleared.  You settle the base, then you get more.  And so on and so on.  I have the two best side missions left to clear, the stronghold as you have mentioned and I stumbled on the architect mission last night and decided to backtrack on that for now.  Level 21 and still struggling to find a decent rifle, using the original I had from the start.  Collecting these caches isn't helping either.  Any tips?  Need a decent weapon or two.  And the weight is an issue holding three types of weapon at once.

The vaults are great, the monoliths are enjoyable to clear, the combat is superb, the exploration is good, there's very little to fault.  However, adopting a less is more approach to some of these side quests would have benefitted the game in the long run imo.  Too much content can be a bad thing but I still can't put it down 26 hours in.

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I still haven't genuinely come across any bugs at all.  What I would agree on with these critics though is the amount of side quests you literally have to wade through in order to find something really worthwhile that's as enjoyable as everything else.  There's too much fetch and carry.  Clearing this and that, getting rid of map notifications, it's all a bit too like an Assassins Creed checklist do this, do that, now do this and that.  Felt like this on Voeld.  You collect the side quests, do them, then more pop up in the area you just cleared.  You settle the base, then you get more.  And so on and so on.  I have the two best side missions left to clear, the stronghold as you have mentioned and I stumbled on the architect mission last night and decided to backtrack on that for now.  Level 21 and still struggling to find a decent rifle, using the original I had from the start.  Collecting these caches isn't helping either.  Any tips?  Need a decent weapon or two.  And the weight is an issue holding three types of weapon at once.

The vaults are great, the monoliths are enjoyable to clear, the combat is superb, the exploration is good, there's very little to fault.  However, adopting a less is more approach to some of these side quests would have benefitted the game in the long run imo.  Too much content can be a bad thing but I still can't put it down 26 hours in.

You had to look up how to get around bug on the internet you said so about 6 posts back!

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

GOTY lol let's keep it a tad realistic eh you lads would make your gushing a tad more believable if so. Ignoring the obvious A) it's April B) Breath of the wild is being viewed the best game this decade never mind this year.

You played it Manwell? I didn't say the game of the year, I said a game of the year. You realise they give a lot of those out? Ignoring what? I said if it didn't have all the bugs and a better story. So yeah, I was believable. And I'm hardly gushing about it. I've critiqued it previously but I've now played it for a few weeks and think it's an extremely good game.

As for Breath of the Wild; I can't comment as I haven't played but the one review I read, basically said it was short of a lot of the things The Witcher did and yet it got .7 higher score despite coming out 2 years later?! Definitely being bumped up because of the nostalgia and then Mass Effect Andromeda gets it the complete other way where it's be punished for 3 great games that came before it. I have no doubt if it was a new IP it would have scored higher. Still, it clearly lacked polish so that has rightly held it back.