Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Pearson Sacked

Guest MattP

My opinion is that he achieved no more or no less than expected of a team that had been promoted with 102 points.

He certainly wasn't 'extremely successful' in my opinion.

I know you openly admitted you missed most of the season but he was actually built and was in charge of the team that won the Championship with 102 points.

Do you actually stand by this statement still though? That you think 14th place is no more or no less expected given that's effectively last season's squad without Huth, Cambiasso, Albrighton, Ulloa and Kramaric (plus a few others) - if you do I think you made the mistake as me and many others did about just how big the step up was (understandable at the time), to still believe now we should have finished 14th with that Championship squad to be is quite crazy given what we have seen last season.

He did what was expected from him, get us in the prem and then survive. There's no doubting he did a great job and will go down as one of our most successful managers. I highly doubt he's at home now crying over his sacking like some are on here. He'll be counting his money waiting for the next championship club to come calling.

Thing is - he is still sacked.

It's not black and white - we got lost in November and it took a long time to find ourselves... but we did find a way back and it took determination. So it s "bad... and good". Nigel may have made us a secure PL side (based on the results at end of last season). He may have made us a top ten side - but we won't know coz he got sacked cos the owners didn't want to work with him any more.

We can row about him all we like - but he is gone. He will get paid off - that may help him get over the disappointment - he may find a new club and I am sure shakey will follow him. Good luck Nigel - we each have a future road to travel - but not together - - can we move on with our new driver?

I don't feel he was overly successful. He was an embarrassment in the PR dept for sure and I really thought he struggled with PL tactics. He played not to lose rather than playing to win. Managers can be fired for that easily

Bollocks- even against the big teams we played to win... Pearson said it all the time and you could tell in the press conferences. We didnt draw many games under NP and that made it all the more exciting.come December we'll be fed up of all the drawing under CR

I don't feel he was overly successful. He was an embarrassment in the PR dept for sure and I really thought he struggled with PL tactics. He played not to lose rather than playing to win. Managers can be fired for that easily

Bollocks- even against the big teams we played to win... Pearson said it all the time and you could tell in the press conferences. We didnt draw many games under NP and that made it all the more exciting.come December we'll be fed up of all the drawing under CR

I know you openly admitted you missed most of the season but he was actually built and was in charge of the team that won the Championship with 102 points.

Do you actually stand by this statement still though? That you think 14th place is no more or no less expected given that's effectively last season's squad without Huth, Cambiasso, Albrighton, Ulloa and Kramaric (plus a few others) - if you do I think you made the mistake as me and many others did about just how big the step up was (understandable at the time), to still believe now we should have finished 14th with that Championship squad to be is quite crazy given what we have seen last season.

Where did I admit I missed most of the season?

I was a season ticket holder as I have been for years and still are.

13th was the lowest that any team promoted with over 100 points had ever finished. I was hoping for the same until he failed to recruit properly.

Thankfully Cambiasso and Huth were up to the job and their experience kept us up.

Where did I admit I missed most of the season?

I was a season ticket holder as I have been for years and still are.

13th was the lowest that any team promoted with over 100 points had ever finished. I was hoping for the same until he failed to recruit properly.

Thankfully Cambiasso and Huth were up to the job and their experience kept us up.

Good post.

So your point is NP finished one place too low, based on how well did the previous season. And signed Huth and Cambiasso, who were both excellent. Not much of an argument is it?

His argument is probably people are over exaggerating the feat of staying up, considering all teams with 100 points and above have finished 13th and over. So we have set a record to have finished lowest with 100+ point season before.

And that we were close to relegation and looked doomed, but a mix of poor transfer business and tactics/selections put us there, which is Nigel's remit. So he got us out of a hole he put us in. Hardly amazing is it?

His argument is probably people are over exaggerating the feat of staying up, considering all teams with 100 people and above have finished 13th and over. So we have set a record to have finished lowest with 100+ point season before.

And that we were close to relegation and looked doomed, but a mix of poor transfer business and tactics/selections put us there, which is Nigel's remit. So he got us out of a hole he put us in. Hardly amazing is it?

What's amazing is people being disappointed by finishing 14th in our first season after promotion.

So your point is NP finished one place too low, based on how well did the previous season. And signed Huth and Cambiasso, who were both excellent. Not much of an argument is it?

No, mu argument is that NFP didn't do an outstanding job by keeping us up last season or by hitting 14th, he did what I expected from a team promoted with 102 points.

Something obviously attracted Cambiasso and Huth to the club, if it was NFP then good work on his part, but it was their experience and talking on the pitch that lead to us staying up. Many seem to accept that Cambiasso did go to NFP with a list on how to win the last 10 games or so, if that is true then it isn't really down to NFP. That may of course not be true but I still believe that had those last 9 games been spread out over the season that we wouldn't have stayed up. imo

What's amazing is people being disappointed by finishing 14th in our first season after promotion.

Did anyone say they were disappointed at finishing 14th?

I haven't, I thought we did well to get there especially as he decided to start the season with Morgan & Konchesky at the back and then played Simpson for weeks when we could all see he wasn't up to being played alongside a back 3. Thanks to someone we effectively played a back 5 for some time and never looked to  have a chance of getting 1 let alone 3 points from a game.

No, mu argument is that NFP didn't do an outstanding job by keeping us up last season or by hitting 14th, he did what I expected from a team promoted with 102 points.

You don't think essentially playing down his achievements based on how well we did the year before in a different league is somewhat harsh?

You don't think essentially playing down his achievements based on how well we did the year before in a different league is somewhat harsh?

He picked up a squad with some good players in. Most notably the beats goalkeeper in league and his top goalscorer. And the team were 2 points off play offs when he picked it up. And it was the third season he was here in which we were promoted. Let's not make it sound like a miracle.

He picked up a squad with some good players in. Most notably the beats goalkeeper in league and his top goalscorer. And the team were 2 points off play offs when he picked it up. And it was the third season he was here in which we were promoted. Let's not make it sound like a miracle.

I'm not the one playing down his achievements because we were one of the few teams to ever blow the championship away with 100+ points.  The fact we were, tells you everything you need to know.

Such a good team we just got spanked at home to Millwall, we were great. GREEEEAT! Look at the state of that squad lol

K Schmeichel (G) 1   L Peltier (D) 2   P Konchesky (D) 3   S Bamba (D) 6 yellow.106.0.pngS St Ledger (D) 12   A King (M) 10   (74) M Johnson (M) 17   R Wellens (M) 19   (45) Y Abe (M) 22   (45) J Beckford (F) 20   D Nugent (F) 35 yellow.106.0.png   C Weale (G) 21   J Paintsil (D) 4   (45) L Dyer (M) 11   (74) G Fernandes (M) 26   (45) D Vassell (F) 13

Archived