Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Pearson Sacked

There was no massive tactical change other than Albrighton for De Laet. Pearson himself after the Hull game said he was disappointed the way the players went about it and that they had been scared to commit in that game. Hull also sat ridiculously deep as shown in the player maps, leaving no space for us to run into, something we more often than not struggle against... as I'm sure we will again.

Huth

That might mean that there was a bust-up after the season ended, maybe over his son. Alternatively, it might mean that there was a bust-up over transfers - or that they'd been satisfied with him in a football sense (and maybe a personal sense) but felt that he'd reached his limit. We just don't know and are all speculating - and that is wrong and potentially damaging, surely?

I think something to do with his son is most likely, which would be understandable.

If they thought he'd reached his limit why did they give him transfer funds? Why not sack him at the end of the season?

Pearson used to speak to the backroom staff and senior players to discuss ideas but ultimately he had the final say as it was his job on the line. Staff were encouraged to be honest and not just say stuff they thought NP wanted to hear. I know this goes against the 'arrogant Pearson' argument but he was open to ideas.

The whole arrogant thing was his own doing. Whether that was deliberate to keep members of the press at arms length I dont know. He clearly wasnt bothered at the perception from players, press or fans.

I think we all know that on a personal basis he was probably a down to earth kind of bloke, but his public persona was definitely more Biff Tannen than anything else.

BIrchenall said that Cambiasso had drawn up a plan for the last 9/10 games, and that it was pretty much what happened. Not one of his 'jokes' either.

Right, that's it... I've had enough of this nonsense. After much searching online this is verbatim what Birch said.

"Our player of the season, Esteban Cambiasso, sat down in our canteen two months ago with Leo Ulloa and started writing on a piece of paper.

I asked him what it was and he said he had mapped out how we were going to survive. I can tell you that what he predicted pretty much all came true."

Now the key line that people decide to overlook is the very end, where he talks about predictions. Any normal individual would just come to the conclusion that between them they have highlighted where we could / would get the points to stay up... not that together they had somehow rewritten all out tactics and passed them on to Pearson. Who despite being labeled arrogant and pig headed etc by the same people, suddenly decided to start doing what he was told like a good boy.

It's utter fantasy by a bunch of people who have NEVER given Pearson the credit he deserves. The same people who said we got promoted from league one because he had loads of good players (he didn't), by the people who give Walsh all the credit. By the people who who said we got promoted from league one, the championship and stayed up despite his, not because of him.

They don't like him because of his attitude most probably, but also because he has made every last one of them look like absolute melons on three occasions.

This so called 'plan' from Cambiasso was probably just telling NP which games he believed we should take points from. NP was responsible for all tactics and selections as all managers are, so cannot believe that a few are trying to take some of the credit away just because they've always disliked Pearson.

There was never a lot of changes needed to reverse our run of poor results but what changes there were clearly made a massive difference and I'm not inclined to believe it was simply because our luck changed. 

Huth's presence, Albrighton's influence, the increasing confidence of Schlupp and Vardy, Kingy's return...all were ingredients that might well have made a difference on any one or more days and I'm sure that more reasons might be pointed out by others.

But what I would say firmly in Pearson's defence is that team spirit mattered immensely. It was there all season and that is massive credit both to our management and the maturity/determination of our players.

At one stage we could do no right in terms of results whether playing well or badly but somehow the squad stayed positive, the mercury started rising, confidence grew and by the end of the season we'd have backed ourselves against almost anyone.

That doesn't make Pearson a master tactician or a managerial magician but it does say something for his strength of character and ability to keep people believing in themselves.

No matter how many people influenced the situation for the better, management is about results, we got em and Pearson deserves his credit.

Now, insteady of building on existing foundations and perhaps having chance to demonstrate just how good (or less so) he is as a manager, he'll be starting again somewhere and I wish him well.

It'll also be natural to note his progress but beyond that I'm much more interested in what happens here next and the exciting adventure of Ranieri's trying to establish us as a new force in Europe.

This so called 'plan' from Cambiasso was probably just telling NP which games he believed we should take points from. NP was responsible for all tactics and selections as all managers are, so cannot believe that a few are trying to take some of the credit away just because they've always disliked Pearson.

There is nothing about telling Pearson, he probably had no idea. It's two players who are friends sitting down and making a list of potential points. Something most of us did.

Does anyone have a clue why shakespeare and walsh stayed?

I love Pearson but think those two staying suggest he may have said something out of line, or perhaps they're just waiting for NP to get a new job and there's nothing in it

Just wondering people's thoughts - generally curious

Does anyone have a clue why shakespeare and walsh stayed?

I love Pearson but think those two staying suggest he may have said something out of line, or perhaps they're just waiting for NP to get a new job and there's nothing in it

Just wondering people's thoughts - generally curious

Probally all about the money, if they leave they get nothing, if they get sacked I'm guessing a compo package,

Right, that's it... I've had enough of this nonsense. After much searching online this is verbatim what Birch said.

"Our player of the season, Esteban Cambiasso, sat down in our canteen two months ago with Leo Ulloa and started writing on a piece of paper.

I asked him what it was and he said he had mapped out how we were going to survive. I can tell you that what he predicted pretty much all came true."

Now the key line that people decide to overlook is the very end, where he talks about predictions. Any normal individual would just come to the conclusion that between them they have highlighted where we could / would get the points to stay up... not that together they had somehow rewritten all out tactics and passed them on to Pearson. Who despite being labeled arrogant and pig headed etc by the same people, suddenly decided to start doing what he was told like a good boy.

It's utter fantasy by a bunch of people who have NEVER given Pearson the credit he deserves. The same people who said we got promoted from league one because he had loads of good players (he didn't), by the people who give Walsh all the credit. By the people who who said we got promoted from league one, the championship and stayed up despite his, not because of him.

They don't like him because of his attitude most probably, but also because he has made every last one of them look like absolute melons on three occasions.

Ain't that roughly what I said?...I just did it from memory rather than search for the article...I wasn't crediting Cambiasso with the run in. I don't know what went on...I'm a big Pearson fan...I do facts (just about), not conspiracy theories. Was what I said nonsense?

I don't care what Cambiasso says I'm gonna have a baby. I will do whatever it takes to take care of my baby. I'm gonna dress my baby in all brand names and if I can't afford it then I guess I'm gonna steal it. Cambiasso thinks that I'm not ready to have a baby, but I have everything my baby will need:

If my baby gets cold and it needs a blanket, it's alright cause I have it. And if my baby needs clothes it's cool cause I have tons of them. And if my baby loses a pacifier I have 3 more.

I'm not having sex with not one, not two, but three different guys. That's right, I'm a player. But that's cool because I got it like that.

My life schemes are to jump out of school, to be on girls gone wild, and to have my baby. And there's nothing stupid Cambiasso can say to change my mind.

This is an amazing post unfortunately I'm on my phone so can't plus one it, but I licked my screen instead, I feel that was a fitting response. Thank you x

Ain't that roughly what I said?...I just did it from memory rather than search for the article...I wasn't crediting Cambiasso with the run in. I don't know what went on...I'm a big Pearson fan...I do facts (just about), not conspiracy theories. Was what I said nonsense?

Drawing up a plan for survival and predicting where the points will come from are very different. Probably an honest mistake in your wording, but they are very different haha.

A simple question: Is there any reliable information that NP was sacked for non-footballing reasons (erratic conduct during the season, arguing over the Bang-Cock 3 or whatever)?

There has been speculation: that he was sacked due to erratic behaviour over the season and/or the "racist sex scandal", or that the owners wanted a big name or to splash the cash. But speculation is all that it was - on all sides of the argument.

Many now seem to be assuming that he was sacked for non-footballing reasons. Could anyone quote a reliable or official source for this assumption?

The official club statement just cited "fundamental differences of perspective", which could mean anything.

In the absence of any official/reliable information, I'll continue to assume that I don't know why he was sacked or whether it was justified, a massive source of frustration in itself given his successful trajectory.

As far as I'm aware, what we know is:

- Despite imperfections and uncertainties about his potential, he had been a highly successful manager who was continuing to progress and who had ended the season on a high

- He had been involved in 1 or 2 slightly odd bits of behaviour, which some seem to see as very important, but that I viewed as trivial and amusing

- His son and 2 others were sacked (rightly, in my opinion) after a scandal

- We can only speculate as to why NP himself was sacked as the club statement re. "fundamental differences of perspective" told us nothing about the source of the disagreement

- We don't know whose fault (if anybody's) that disagreement was

A question for those who think it reasonable for him to be sacked due to his "erratic" conduct: Would you also have sacked Clough, Ferguson and Mourinho for their well-documented erratic conduct? Or Cantona and Gascoigne? Would you have called for that argumentative, drunken depressive Churchill to be replaced by that nice, polite Neville Chamberlain? Would you have dismissed outrageous musicians from Mozart via Leadbelly, Elvis, Little Richard, the Stones, the Sex Pistols, the Libertines and Amy Winehouse....and replaced them with polite, family-friendly types like Donny Osmond and, er, Cliff Richard? I wonder if any of those taking a hard line are fans of Boris Johnson? If so, they should Google his name with "Petronella"...this is someone who might be PM in a couple of years time, and yet Pearson is unworthy to manage a football team because he makes 1 or 2 odd comments, behaves slightly oddly and has disagreed with his bosses about something unspecified? :blink:

You are right, Clough's erratic behaviour didn't lead to him being sacked by Forest, it did however lead to their relegation.

Ferguson and Mourihnio are 2 of the best managers in the world and despite some of their erratic behaviour I don't remember them turning on members of the press in the same way. Instead they used and manipulated them rather than embarrassing themselves and the club with bizarre outbursts. Whether you agree with that statement or not in the eyes of our owners NP embarrassed them, the club and himself with the well documented incidents. For you, me and many others it may have been funny and a bit of a laugh, but we aren't the owners of this club.

They pay his wages, they deal with the fallout from his actions here and back in Thailand and they take the hit should his behaviour alienate sponsors, supporters, clients, backers etc

The profile and reputation of the club is massive in terms of attracting sponsors, players, a global market. This is the global era of the game, like it or not, and Pearson doesn't have the credibility of Fergie or Jose to get away with being a dick.

Whether you agree with it or not Pearson was clearly walking a fine line after the Mcarthur/sacking incident, he pushed it again with Ostrichgate, whether JP and the Bangkok 3 was the final straw or there were other incidents that influenced their decision you can't be surprised the owners lost patience and he probably would have gone a few months ago had there been a viable replacement.

As I said at the time in every argument you can find fault on both sides, but when a working relationship breaks down those that pay the wages will normally come out on top.

Now I realise I am drunk and this post has lost a coherent thread and gone a bit rambley.

In summary NP was great but not great enough to get away with anything, and he pissed off our owners one time too many and paid the price. Sorry for him, for us, for the club but we move on...

Claudio Ranieri's Blue and White Army!!!!!!!!!!

The predictions could just as easily have been along the lines of "if we play with xxxx formation it will have xxxx effects." You can't tell from that quote.

Another way of looking at it is if Cambiasso and Ulloa were merely predicting results, why would Birch make a point of mentioning it? He obviously mentioned it because he thought it was an interesting point, which players predicting results wouldn't have been.

I knew from day one...People warned me against joining...Had to see it for myself though.

It's usually very pleasant on Foxestalk

Unless you show any sort or criticism towards NP ?

Or any other opinion other than that popularly accepted (which generally means positive posts about NP)

Or if you dare to have a differing opinion about anything then you generally just get people calling you names or dumbing you down as they are clearly right and you are clearly wrong about anything and everything

:whistle:

Only kidding lol most folk on here are great

Apart from . . . . . :whistle:

The predictions could just as easily have been along the lines of "if we play with xxxx formation it will have xxxx effects." You can't tell from that quote.

Another way of looking at it is if Cambiasso and Ulloa were merely predicting results, why would Birch make a point of mentioning it? He obviously mentioned it because he thought it was an interesting point, which players predicting results wouldn't have been.

Much like everything else you've ever attempted to use to discredit Nigel Pearson, it's a spectacular guess on your part. And possibly the most improbable one yet. Well done.

Much like everything else you've ever attempted to use to discredit Nigel Pearson, it's a spectacular guess on your part. And possibly the most improbable one yet. Well done.

How is it any more of a guess than what Babylon proposed?

Can you explain exactly why it's improbable?

All we know is that they were predicting something and that birch felt this was an interesting, relevant point to bring up.

Maybe they were predicting results. If so Birch must have a damn good memory for an old boy lol. Or maybe they were predicting something else, like the impact of tactical or personnel changes. I can't tell, you can't tell any better than I can. So stop trying to be the authority on what's likely and what isn't because you're not fooling anyone except those who want to be fooled.

And as for everything else I've used to "discredit" Pearson being "spectacular guesses". That's just utter nonsense. I'm not guessing when I say we nearly got relegated, not am I guessing when I say it took him two and a half years to get a side two points from play offs promoted, nor am I guessing when I say he tried numerous formations last season and they almost all failed, nor am I guessing when I say he was involved in several weird off the pitch incidents that made him look like a man clinging on to sanity by a thread.

I wish I hadn't posted now...I was just trying to get involved...People are horrible on here.

People are incredibly frustrated on here because of the vast increase in the number of trolls and idiots on the forum since Nigel was sacked.

Babylon has had to put about 700 people right on the Cambiasso 'plan' over the course of the last week or so, most of them trolls, it's hardly surprising that he's getting a bit annoyed correcting people. I'm certainly getting annoyed hearing about whatever Esteban Cambiasso scribbled on a piece of paper.

Archived