Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
howlinmadmurfdoc

Watches

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

No,  I have not-  I just included the link as a rough example of the a look I was going for.   Some cracking shouts there-  I really liked Tissot T-Classic Powermatic 80 link that you have posted!   I would prefer to try them on before buying although so will need to make some time (no pun intended!) to do a dedicated browse through shops soon!  Do you prefer to shop at independent jewellers or high street stores-  any significant variance in the mark ups?  

I tend to buy off the forum I blog on from known quantities, eBay and Chrono24 as I tend to buy vintage…. that’s my bag!   I always do my homework though…. Do your browsing in retail shops and do try stuff on…. If you’re in an airport soon, it’s a good way to kill an hour…  Then look at dealers on Chrono24 (with the right feed back) and Creation from Singapore are well known (plug the reference number into google)…. eBay is with a look too 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oakman said:

I’ve had a vintage Breitling Navitimer for years but my everyday watch is a Dubey & Schaldenbrand Spiral One. Really liking the watches that Ball are producing and am quite tempted by the Engineer II.

Ingersoll do some nice looking watches and I think they’re pretty well priced with most under £250.

D&S - blimey that’s some proper haut horology !  Very nice 

Do you want to own a Ball skin diver though!?

or have a Ball engineer?!

they are solid watches…

4 hours ago, Wolfox said:

D&S - blimey that’s some proper haut horology !  Very nice 

Do you want to own a Ball skin diver though!?

or have a Ball engineer?!

they are solid watches…

This is the Dubey - had it for years and really like it.

rsz_066.jpg

• Like 4

On 18/02/2020 at 16:43, The Blur said:

I recently got married which changed my outlook on watches a bit now that I wear a gold ring.    I have been researching some watches lately and are leaning towards Tissot range at the moment.    What is the company's reputation like amongst watches enthusiasts? 

I love Tissot, they give excellent value. I have three at the moment, a classic automatic dress watch, a quartz chronograph and a lovely powermatic dive watch. 

They tend to offer sapphire glass at a price point you don’t usually find in other brands. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oakman said:

If anyone's after a Tissot, a company called C. W. Sellors is having a sale at the moment - between 40% and 50% of some of the watches. Just bought a Tissot T-Sport Chrono.

https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/collections/tissot-watch-sale

Bought from them before and all was good. This time is turning into a right mess. 

Thought I had purchased a Raymond Weil on Thursday night which apparently went out of stock just as I completed the purchase ( not going to start on what kind of online system allows that or why I wasn’t notified of anything until I rang to ask if it was being delivered on Saturday)

Even though the watch is in stock at full price it was more of a promotion through Raymond Weil on a certain amount of stock. Looks like I’m waiting for someone to come into the office who can give more than a black or white yes/no answer. 

More miffed I took out the six month interest free credit agreement which I fully signed off on. 

2 hours ago, Livid said:

Bought from them before and all was good. This time is turning into a right mess. 

Thought I had purchased a Raymond Weil on Thursday night which apparently went out of stock just as I completed the purchase ( not going to start on what kind of online system allows that or why I wasn’t notified of anything until I rang to ask if it was being delivered on Saturday)

Even though the watch is in stock at full price it was more of a promotion through Raymond Weil on a certain amount of stock. Looks like I’m waiting for someone to come into the office who can give more than a black or white yes/no answer. 

More miffed I took out the six month interest free credit agreement which I fully signed off on. 

Damn, only made my purchase yesterday - hope it all goes through.

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Don't wish to be rude but what is the big attraction with watches?

(Aside from the obvious "wanting to know what the time is")

Even though I buy and sell watches for a living I kind of agree with you. I don’t really wear one and don’t like them as a kind of status thing. I do like older, antique watches with some history. I have a WW1 trench watch that I wear and I like antique pocket watches but I’m definitely not a watch person. X 

• Thanks 1

I like the look, craftsmanship, engineering and feel of wearing a watch. It's an affordable luxury for me.

Never considered any of my watches as status symbols - I think you're into Rolex Submariner territory there and I'm not a fan of them.

• Like 4

This is probably one of my favourite recent acquisitions. WWI, sterling silver officer’s trench watch. Needed work but a lovely thing. It’s got a screw down case by Borgel and is one of the first “dust” “waterproof” attempts from watchmakers.   I like the fact it’s 100 years old, fully hand made and still ticking. Amazing. Will post photo of movement at some

point.

I’m not really into new watches and I’m not a “techy” or “engineery” kind of person so not too into watches merely as pieces of engineering though I can thoroughly appreciate the skill that goes into them.  I would like a 50s stainless steel, very plain Omega though in terms of a watch to wear myself. Very nice things. X 

A3944DC5-EBEB-497A-9E4A-67061291B59A.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

For me it's about variety and choice.

I change my look at work daily so like to change my watch. 

Each to their own I guess.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

It's better than having it written on a piece of paper.

Edited by Smudge