Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
howlinmadmurfdoc

Watches

Picked up a cracking vintage 1970s LED watch by COMMODORE.  Unfortunately the batteries had been left in and leaked so not working but these are great and becoming increasingly desirable.  Hoping my watchmaker pal can work his magic.......

468F7A8E-1EDD-4D76-A6DC-3FC8BB72132B.jpeg

• Like 1

I've got some beautiful watches and have loved collecting them over many many years ...   but I have to say that at the moment all I wear is my titanium iwatch 5 with it's soft magnetic leather strap ...  its brilliant !   Can make calls without the phone, use a compass when out walking and its soooo light.   And ...   it is a genuine thing of beauty and technical achievement.

IMG_3619.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Picked up a cracking vintage 1970s LED watch by COMMODORE.  Unfortunately the batteries had been left in and leaked so not working but these are great and becoming increasingly desirable.  Hoping my watchmaker pal can work his magic.......

468F7A8E-1EDD-4D76-A6DC-3FC8BB72132B.jpeg

Super cool!

had one of these for a bit, but, passed it along 

721B1312-31C6-4957-8367-961707ED856F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So…. Some people mentioned they liked the engineering of watches, so I thought I’d share some rather dry - yet interesting to those so inclined - information on super compressor watches….

After much searching I managed to track down a watch I’d been hunting for years…. The vintage game takes patience and research…. I brought it a few weeks ago and, in current circumstances, it feels like a bit of frippery!  But,  none the less I’m very happy to have acquired it…. A Rodania Waterman, which is as rare as rocking horse poo

Fg5vvAf.jpg

So the technical bit - compressor and Super-compressosr were originally names used and registered to EPSA (Ervin Piquerez SA) - case makers to various companies.  You get the trade mark diving helmet engraved on the inside surface of the watch case  and it was quite a breakthrough in dive watch technology…

They were characterised as being cases designed to seal better and better with greater pressure, as the pressure itself pushed sealing surfaces closer together.

There are different types of compressor, the most sought after being the twin crowned variant…. The upper crown turns the internal bezel (for timing your dive) and the lower crown changes the date and time

jacques Cousteau used to use them…. Various brands used the case including Hamilton, IWC and JLC (amongst many others…

some detail on the case types

1B7A886E-F4B9-4BC1-ABB1-CCA4CFC047FD.jpeg

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

Anyone own an omega speedmaster professional 42mm with glass caseback? If so, do you still love it? 

thinking of getting a new watch and assessing options. 

How big are your wrists?  42mm is a very large watch…. Try it on and make sure the lugs fit nicely on your wrist 

3 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

Small tbf, just think I need to try on at the jewellers and judge v 38mm 

Yeah…. It could look like a dinner plate…. It has a bezel that makes it appear a bit smaller, but I wouldn’t go that big personally….

But, try it on though!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Love these old WW1 silver trench watches. Picked this one up today. 

959E48F9-6AE9-4053-9430-05093308A9EF.jpeg

That’s really rather lovely…. I love the painting of the Arabic numeral…. A bit special !!!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

That’s really rather lovely…. I love the painting of the Arabic numeral…. A bit special !!!

Yeah it’s a lovely watch. Sadly not running. I’ve had loads of these over the years but this is a particularly nice one. Good quality movement too……

9FCB6D6A-9D2B-4231-B566-E8E3EFF7C428.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah it’s a lovely watch. Sadly not running. I’ve had loads of these over the years but this is a particularly nice one. Good quality movement too……

9FCB6D6A-9D2B-4231-B566-E8E3EFF7C428.jpeg

Do you have the skills to get it going?