Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
howlinmadmurfdoc

Watches

On 01/08/2019 at 22:14, RumbleFox said:

Actually, I just fact checked myself and think it was early 60s they were first made. :)

It had been a while since I'd seen it and I was quite wrong about ahah. It is a 1987 deville, leather strap, round face, completely different to how I remembered it for some reason.

20190813_140155.jpg

• Like 1

On 09/08/2017 at 08:24, Merging Cultures said:

I just bought this Hugo Boss watch.

Just a fashion watch until I save up enough to buy an Omega.

52b7f61a9a3f44606811be80ba4d9d97.jpg

Gave this away to a friend.

It's a nice fashion watch. Enjoy! 

Focusing my collection on automatics now I have a few more pennies saved. 

Ooh a watch thread, how have I missed this. 

Currently have 13 (May have to get one more!!) 

Tissot Quickster Chronograph 

Tissot Stainless Steel Automatic

Bulova Open Heart Automatic

Bulova UHF Military 

Bulova 1980’s Quartz

Orient Perpetual Calendar 

Orient Bambino 2nd Generation 

Vostok Amphibian

Festina Quartz

Rotary Sapphire Quartz 

T W Steel Canteen (hardly wear it my wrist is quite small and the watch is huge) 

Seiko SNK805 Military 

Apple Watch 4

Quite like the look of Hamilton Military’s but can’t justify the price compared to the SNK805 I already have. Mondaine’s look quite decent but they just look a little fragile. 

Probably wait until Christmas Eve now and treat myself in the Beaverbrooks/Goldsmiths/Ernest Jones online sale. 

• 5 months later...

I recently got married which changed my outlook on watches a bit now that I wear a gold ring.    I have been researching some watches lately and are leaning towards Tissot range at the moment.    What is the company's reputation like amongst watches enthusiasts? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I recently got married which changed my outlook on watches a bit now that I wear a gold ring.    I have been researching some watches lately and are leaning towards Tissot range at the moment.    What is the company's reputation like amongst watches enthusiasts? 

Safe pair of hands, Tissot. Most of their ranges are nice and stylish in my opinion, affordable but not cheap, reliable. Tissots tell great time, they are seen slightly as the poorer relation of Swiss made but they’re really nicely put together. Don’t get me wrong it’s incomparable to having a Tag or a Rolex on your wrist, but not everybody has well over a grand (plus) to spend on a watch edit: and a lot of the time there’s no need to, Tissot being an excellent example of this. 

I’ve got a V8 for everyday wearing and it’s one of the nicest watches I’ve ever owned. 

Edited by Manini
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Yeah Tissots are really nice watches.  There are a few brands just below the big boys that are more affordable and really nice.  Tissot and Zenith my favourites of that next tier.

X

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Manini said:

Safe pair of hands, Tissot. Most of their ranges are nice and stylish in my opinion, affordable but not cheap, reliable. Tissots tell great time, they are seen slightly as the poorer relation of Swiss made but they’re really nicely put together. Don’t get me wrong it’s incomparable to having a Tag or a Rolex on your wrist, but not everybody has well over a grand (plus) to spend on a watch edit: and a lot of the time there’s no need to, Tissot being an excellent example of this. 

I’ve got a V8 for everyday wearing and it’s one of the nicest watches I’ve ever owned. 

14 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah Tissots are really nice watches.  There are a few brands just below the big boys that are more affordable and really nice.  Tissot and Zenith my favourites of that next tier.

X

Great stuff,   I am liking what I am hearing so far.   I am considering watches with brown leather strap however I used to own one in the past and the strap eventually fell apart as it got too damp when the water splashed on it after washing my hands.   I think the brand was a cheap one but is it a common issue for all brands?   Should I be more careful and remove my watch before washing my hands?  

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I know nothing about watches but this talk of Tissot reminded me on the Tissot ‘rock watch’

Anyone remember them? Was the dogs bollux back in the day I recall...

I do, I think they did a wood one too.  I buy and sell vintage watches and have had a few of the rock watches. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Great stuff,   I am liking what I am hearing so far.   I am considering watches with brown leather strap however I used to own one in the past and the strap eventually fell apart as it got too damp when the water splashed on it after washing my hands.   I think the brand was a cheap one but is it a common issue for all brands?   Should I be more careful and remove my watch before washing my hands?  

They shouldn't fall apart like that really?  You can pick up Hirsch Leather straps on ebay from £15 up to about £40 or so for their better ones.  Always thought they were one of the best brands.  :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I know nothing about watches but this talk of Tissot reminded me on the Tissot ‘rock watch’

Anyone remember them? Was the dogs bollux back in the day I recall...

Dogs bollux, they must of got their Rocks off.....Tissot Time we Live in...

On 31/07/2019 at 14:27, ozleicester said:

Is an 80's Seiko worth anything? :)

it’s all relative…. But I have two early 80’s Japanese Seiko’s with a Kamji date…. I wouldn’t chuck ‘em in the bin!

Ed0t2Mp.jpg

3EnN6pc.jpg

4 hours ago, The Blur said:

Tissot are fine….  Probably the best heritage around the £200-£400 mark going new…  What’s your budget and what has caught your eye that your fancy?   

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

X

Would like too mooch round your shop!  Zenith next tier?  They start at about £3k!!!

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

Anyone still got a calculator watch circa 1980's???

I pined for one of them….   This little spoiled kid at a Greek wedding I went to had one…. I can’t remember ever feeling more green with envy…. Remember it vividly and I would only have been around 9 years old!   Worth a few quid if you kept hold of them…

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 23:19, Livid said:

. Mondaine’s look quite decent but they just look a little fragile. 

Probably wait until Christmas Eve now and treat myself in the Beaverbrooks/Goldsmiths/Ernest Jones online sale. 

Mondaine’s can look a little more ‘butch’

saw this up for sale on a watch forum I occasionally blog on…. Just sold for £90!

PVD and quite a presence @40mm

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/mondaine-watches/products/mondaine-watch-sbb-a660-30360-61sbg

I have had a fascination with watches like you…. I’ve been collecting for years

the most recent addition is this…. Herma is a sub brand of Brietling…. I brought this from a guy in France completely unworn.  It contains the Cal. 12 movement, the first automatic chronograph…. Pure 70’s charm!  This has Saviem engraved on the back and they are a haulage firm who gifted them to drivers who completed 500,000 km without an accident…. This guy obviously acquired it in the 70’s and placed it in a draw!  Anyway…. I love it!

Gl1QbUp.jpg

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Wolfox said:

it’s all relative…. But I have two early 80’s Japanese Seiko’s with a Kamji date…. I wouldn’t chuck ‘em in the bin!

Ed0t2Mp.jpg

3EnN6pc.jpg

Tissot are fine….  Probably the best heritage around the £200-£400 mark going new…  What’s your budget and what has caught your eye that your fancy?   

Would like too mooch round your shop!  Zenith next tier?  They start at about £3k!!!

I would say my budget stretches to £400-500 mark,     I went for a browse back in January but had a stinking cold and suddenly felt really unwell so I did not went in and note down ones I like.     I had a quick look online just now and liked the look/design of the one below

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/shop/t0994073644800.html

I know it is out of my budget but the look is something that I am aiming for.  

7 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I would say my budget stretches to £400-500 mark,     I went for a browse back in January but had a stinking cold and suddenly felt really unwell so I did not went in and note down ones I like.     I had a quick look online just now and liked the look/design of the one below

Ok…. Have you tried it on?  A 42mm watch with a thin bezel is huge!  If you have hefty wrists you may get away with it…. But, if you have a more delicate frame I would suggest going <38mm

A quick google shows up Creation watches (they are legit)… you’ll probably (can’t guarantee) get away with import charges too 

https://www.creationwatches.com/products/fr/tissot-247/tissot-t-classic-powermatic-80-t099-407-36-447-00-t0994073644700-automatic-mens-watch-16067.html?currency=EUR&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAiA1rPyBRAREiwA1UIy8CBDX-xM8vGdiyUsozrWm2aIQFCgO_zVPEVfQFlzM7Dt1b1WZ_jNoRoCBXoQAvD_BwE

I will think of some alternatives and post them on here for you to consider…. I’m the meantime, look at the Friday threads on TZ UK watch forum and see what tickles your fancy…

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?466636-Valentine-s-Friday&highlight=Friday

50 minutes ago, The Blur said:

How about this?  A cracking auto made by Longines

could be in budget second hand…. Or a bit above new on the grey market (look at chrono24) - about £600 ish

F87AE498-C6CC-488E-8225-CA49961D78EB.jpeg

Edited by Wolfox

On 18/02/2020 at 16:43, The Blur said:

I have owned a Tissot T12 Stainless steel S/W watch for nearly 50 years . Keeps perfect time and looks great . I bought a Tissot for my son about 15 years ago and he loves it 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Ok…. Have you tried it on?  A 42mm watch with a thin bezel is huge!  If you have hefty wrists you may get away with it…. But, if you have a more delicate frame I would suggest going <38mm

A quick google shows up Creation watches (they are legit)… you’ll probably (can’t guarantee) get away with import charges too 

https://www.creationwatches.com/products/fr/tissot-247/tissot-t-classic-powermatic-80-t099-407-36-447-00-t0994073644700-automatic-mens-watch-16067.html?currency=EUR&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAiA1rPyBRAREiwA1UIy8CBDX-xM8vGdiyUsozrWm2aIQFCgO_zVPEVfQFlzM7Dt1b1WZ_jNoRoCBXoQAvD_BwE

I will think of some alternatives and post them on here for you to consider…. I’m the meantime, look at the Friday threads on TZ UK watch forum and see what tickles your fancy…

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?466636-Valentine-s-Friday&highlight=Friday

No,  I have not-  I just included the link as a rough example of the a look I was going for.   Some cracking shouts there-  I really liked Tissot T-Classic Powermatic 80 link that you have posted!   I would prefer to try them on before buying although so will need to make some time (no pun intended!) to do a dedicated browse through shops soon!  Do you prefer to shop at independent jewellers or high street stores-  any significant variance in the mark ups?  

I’ve had a vintage Breitling Navitimer for years but my everyday watch is a Dubey & Schaldenbrand Spiral One. Really liking the watches that Ball are producing and am quite tempted by the Engineer II.

Ingersoll do some nice looking watches and I think they’re pretty well priced with most under £250.