Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Ice Hockey

1 hour ago, sharpylcfc said:

I hoping we do well but I'm not sure how we'll do. How do you find life in Montreal?

We only lived there for a few years. Been in the greater Toronto/Hamilton area most of my life.  Montreal is a very nice place (especially old montreal).

As i aged, i am becoming more snobby about places in general lol

On 28/07/2023 at 12:59, sharpylcfc said:

Who's everyone support or follow in the NHL? It's New York Islanders for me.

San Jose Sharks - due to spending summers working in a summer camp near Santa Cruz in the late 90s. (Yet to actually see them play live though, as they don't play in the summer :facepalm:). Really started following in 2007, so it was playoffs every year, conference finals, a Finals appearance, an entertaining core group of Joe Thornton, Brent Burns, Joe Pavelski, Dan Boyle & a great podcast to keep up with news (Dudes on Hockey! https://dudesonhockey.com/).

But since the conference final in 2019 (which flamed out when injuries took their toll), they have gone 4 years without playoffs, traded away Pavelski & Burns, and don't look like getting anywhere near the playoffs anytime soon. Any bright spark, such as Timo Meier (and Erik Karlsson this year) has to be traded away, so it got to the stage I could barely follow last year (and even the Dudes have pretty much gone the same way!). Would love for a flicker to reignite the spark.

Have a soft spot for the Islanders though. Saw them at the Nassau Coliseum in 2008, so they've been my adopted team for the playoffs for a couple of years: and they even gave that familiar losing in the Conference finals feeling...

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

San Jose Sharks - due to spending summers working in a summer camp near Santa Cruz in the late 90s. (Yet to actually see them play live though, as they don't play in the summer :facepalm:). Really started following in 2007, so it was playoffs every year, conference finals, a Finals appearance, an entertaining core group of Joe Thornton, Brent Burns, Joe Pavelski, Dan Boyle & a great podcast to keep up with news (Dudes on Hockey! https://dudesonhockey.com/).

But since the conference final in 2019 (which flamed out when injuries took their toll), they have gone 4 years without playoffs, traded away Pavelski & Burns, and don't look like getting anywhere near the playoffs anytime soon. Any bright spark, such as Timo Meier (and Erik Karlsson this year) has to be traded away, so it got to the stage I could barely follow last year (and even the Dudes have pretty much gone the same way!). Would love for a flicker to reignite the spark.

Have a soft spot for the Islanders though. Saw them at the Nassau Coliseum in 2008, so they've been my adopted team for the playoffs for a couple of years: and they even gave that familiar losing in the Conference finals feeling...

I'm really looking forward to this season I think I'll look at getting the NHL pass think that'll be the best option watching games this year. Know of any places to buy merchandise? Use to use the NHL Europe shop but since Fanatics took over the shop majority of stuff gets shipped from the US anyway.

On 28/07/2023 at 07:59, sharpylcfc said:

Who's everyone support or follow in the NHL? It's New York Islanders for me.

I support the Colorado Avalanche...it was great in the beginning then shit in the middle now it is great again.

I don't think the central division has gotten that strong over the off season, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get into the playoffs, unless injuries become a problem again.

Hopefully the new additions will add greatly to the team. Johansen, the 2c they have been needing since Kadri left, Drouin, from what I have heard, looks like Nate was really pushing for the Avs to bring him, so I hope they get to play together and make a huge impact,  Colton and Wood will hopefully be good additions to the bottom 6 and make for great depth players.

I am not sure how big hockey is in England, but I always thought the NHL should market quite a bit there, I think if they held the NHL world cup of hockey there with all the superstars, people would go, may be build a bigger following there, maybe the NHL can work with the major league and over the summer bring some of the big nhl teams and play some exhibition matches or hold a global series over there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ShadowKing said:

I support the Colorado Avalanche...it was great in the beginning then shit in the middle now it is great again.

I don't think the central division has gotten that strong over the off season, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get into the playoffs, unless injuries become a problem again.

Hopefully the new additions will add greatly to the team. Johansen, the 2c they have been needing since Kadri left, Drouin, from what I have heard, looks like Nate was really pushing for the Avs to bring him, so I hope they get to play together and make a huge impact,  Colton and Wood will hopefully be good additions to the bottom 6 and make for great depth players.

I am not sure how big hockey is in England, but I always thought the NHL should market quite a bit there, I think if they held the NHL world cup of hockey there with all the superstars, people would go, may be build a bigger following there, maybe the NHL can work with the major league and over the summer bring some of the big nhl teams and play some exhibition matches or hold a global series over there.

Would love the NHL to come over here I just unfortunately can't see it happening myself. I would definitely try to get tickets if they did though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sharpylcfc said:

Would love the NHL to come over here I just unfortunately can't see it happening myself. I would definitely try to get tickets if they did though.

Agreed.

The main issue is the NHL they can't market the sport properly. They can't even get it together to host a world cup.

It would be great if the IIHF and NHL could work together to host better international tournaments. It sucks that the world champions happen every year and during the NHL playoffs so all the best players will be unavailable.

Also, even though I am against NHL in the Olympics, it is clear that the players should go and participate.

20 minutes ago, ShadowKing said:

Agreed.

The main issue is the NHL they can't market the sport properly. They can't even get it together to host a world cup.

It would be great if the IIHF and NHL could work together to host better international tournaments. It sucks that the world champions happen every year and during the NHL playoffs so all the best players will be unavailable.

Also, even though I am against NHL in the Olympics, it is clear that the players should go and participate.

Having a few games in the UK to gauge interest would be great, if the interest is there they could make it an yearly thing with UK games like the NFL do.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Hey would any of you guys be interested in fantasy hockey? 

I've never played it before but I'd like to give it a go this season. 

Maybe have a FT mini league if there is interest? 

I did it for years, even won a few times.

I'd certainly be in, if there's enough interest.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Enough of joking about early playoff exits... 

That used to be the Sharks M.O. 

Now its all about a rebuild and tanking for high draft picks, so I'd happily take a first round sweep over watching a team who will benefit by losing!!!

I'll really struggle to watch much again this year. :thumbdown: