Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Ice Hockey

On 15/10/2023 at 03:34, spacemunky said:

Matthews with back to back hat-tricks.

Stopped! 

Let's go Hawks 😎

The Hawks are better this season, with valueable experience gained each game for the new young core. 

#98 #55 #27 #72 #44 #41 

With Moore and Commesso to arrive probably next season the rebuild is looking very promising. 

The additions of Perry, Foligno and Murphy will all help these players. The blue line has 3 rookies on it, who all look very error free for their level of experience. 

Mrazek has been solid and if he can stay healthy or even healthier it will not be such a slog this season. 

I fully expect to finish 27th to 32nd, however there are no expectations of anything better than a bottom 5 position. With lots of early picks for the 2024 draft I'd say in 2 or 3 seasons the Hawks will be a force to challenge again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Saw the headline on Twitter but haven't read the news fully. 

What happened? 

It looks like a Sheffield player slipped and kicked him in the throat as they collided. You can tell it’s bad immediately, due to the sheer amount of blood.

RIP Adam. 

• Sad 2

I had tickets to todays game and hope now that the money goes to the poor guys family. Ice Hockey can be a dangerous sport at times but this just came out of nowhere. Thoughts and prayers to Adams family and everyone at Panthers, a very sad day.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

It looks like a Sheffield player slipped and kicked him in the throat as they collided. You can tell it’s bad immediately, due to the sheer amount of blood.

RIP Adam. 

Jesus. That sounds horrific :(

RIP to the poor lad. 

2 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I hope also the Sheffield player involved is being well looked after, cannot begin to imagine what he must be going through right now 

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

This. You can’t imagine what he is feeling right now.

Hmmm not a hockey fan or someone who has skated, but there is a hint of intention with how his leg ended up there after a check by another player. I really really hope not, and without ever having skated it's hard to know how you go about keeping balance etc. 

Edited by Babylon

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Hmmm not a hockey fan or someone who has skated, but there is a hint of intention with how his leg ended up there after a check by another player. I really really hope not, and without ever having skated it's hard to know how you go about keeping balance etc. 

There was a collision just prior hence why the other players leg was in the air. Johnson was just skating behind it. Completely unintentional and tragic.

Edited by Fox in the North
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

There was a collision just prior hence why the other players leg was in the air. Johnson was just skating behind it. Completely unintentional and tragic.

Happened a decade or so ago in the NHL, but with a different outcome. Search Richard Zednik on YouTube to see how innocent the contact can be that precipitates such an event. 

38 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I know there was, I've seen it. The opposition player knew he was coming inside and went to leave his man, there was a very slight coming together and his left leg went into the air. 

If that was football, I was say he'd deliberately hung a leg out to impede the opponent. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, because it's entirely different on ice in terms of balance etc. Of course he without question never meant for this outcome, but to the untrained eye it doesn't look great. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

There's no way an ice hockey player does anything like this intentionally. They all know what can happen. 

As someone else mentioned it happened to Richard Zednik. It also happened to a Buffalo Sabres player called Clint Malarchuk in 1989. He was a goaltender who had his carotid artery and jugular vein cut by a skate. He survived because the team's athletic trainer was a medic in the Vietnam War and knew the only way to save him was to put his fingers inside his neck, pinch is artery and kneel all his weight on his collarbone. 

You can watch it on youtube, but it's grim, he loses around 1.5 litres of blood in a few seconds. 

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Will there be rule changes from this regarding headwear?

It’s difficult to do though, as if you’ve seen it, it could be anyone ice skating. 

It’s just a tragic, freak accident.