Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Ice Hockey

Just now, SemperEadem said:

Could out field players not wear a mask similar to the goalies? They look to offer more protection

It’s an option, however it’s the speed they move out. I haven’t played Ice Hockey for years and never played at that level, however I wonder if it wouldn’t potentially cause more obstruction. 

I was looking this morning and this isn’t the first time this has occurred sadly. 

6 minutes ago, Guesty said:

There's no way an ice hockey player does anything like this intentionally. They all know what can happen. 

Nobody is suggesting he wanted THIS outcome.

But to suggest no player would intentionally go out to hurt a player, or at least be exceptionally rough.... in hockey?????????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

But to suggest no player would intentionally go out to hurt a player, or at least be exceptionally rough.... in hockey?????????

It’s a fast paced, impact sport ultimately. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There's a big difference between punching someone and putting your skate into their throat (or anywhere near it).

I'm not suggesting a player might not ever try to intentionally hurt someone. 

All players and all fans know that if a skate goes near someone's neck what can happen. Watch the Malarchuk video. 

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Guesty said:

There's a big difference between punching someone and putting your skate into their throat (or anywhere near it).

I'm not suggesting a player might not ever try to intentionally hurt someone. 

All players and all fans know that if a skate goes near someone's neck what can happen. Watch the Malarchuk video. 

Again, nobody is suggesting he wanted that outcome. But it’s not beyond the realms of possibly that he went to trip or block it with the leg and misjudged it massively.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

I have no idea about Ice Hockey boots & blades, but are they bevelled to a sharp point ?

I know the standard ones we hire at ice rinks are not. 

Not a sharp point no, but on the pro level I believe they are sharpened in between periods. They are razor sharp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daily Mail already trying to jump on the possible intent version of events.

They don’t just name the guy but also want to point out he’s been thrown out of 2 recent games due to physical and verbal altercations.

Anybody that’s been to any amount of Ice Hockey games know that this happens time and time again.

17 hours ago, Lionator said:

If somebody genuinely thinks he did that on purpose, it probably says more about the depravity and cynicism in their mind rather than anything the player did. 

I don't know. Only watched it once briefly because frankly I don't want to watch it anymore than that, and if a similar coming together had happened in a different context then I could understand some people thinking he deliberately kicked his foot out. I've never ice skated though. 

Edited by bovril

I watch Ice hockey (NHL) everyday, and I have only seen a very short clip of this. It is a highly unusual action! There must be some contact with the other Panthers player before the contact with the skate and the neck (I have not seen more than a 2/3 second clip). I have not seen the full clip, and I am not searching for it, however for a leg to be raised higher than the waist for example is rare in the extreme, to be at head hight, and what appears to be a kick at the players head / neck, this is completely new and shocking to me, I have never seen this. 

I'd like to know what the fans who were there saw. It is an awful outcome irrespective.

19 hours ago, Lionator said:

If somebody genuinely thinks he did that on purpose, it probably says more about the depravity and cynicism in their mind rather than anything the player did. 

I think he definitely intended to trip him, but not hurt him like that...

23 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

I watch Ice hockey (NHL) everyday, and I have only seen a very short clip of this. It is a highly unusual action! There must be some contact with the other Panthers player before the contact with the skate and the neck (I have not seen more than a 2/3 second clip). I have not seen the full clip, and I am not searching for it, however for a leg to be raised higher than the waist for example is rare in the extreme, to be at head hight, and what appears to be a kick at the players head / neck, this is completely new and shocking to me, I have never seen this. 

I'd like to know what the fans who were there saw. It is an awful outcome irrespective.

My wife who was there watching her first ever game said it looked to her to be a complete accident.

I'd imagine there will be an increase in ice hockey players wearing neck guards, but probably only for the short term. After the cricketer Phil Hughes died from a blow to the back/side of his head, all batters started wearing the helmets with the extra protection round the side/back. But I'm seeing more and more batters going back to the old style helmets without the extra protection.

• Like 1

So I don’t watch a lot of ice hockey (although have been to numerous panthers games) but I do watch a lot of rugby. In rugby there are a lot of dangerous collisions which occur due to bad technique but also rapid change of dynamics. Now therefore it’s hard to prove intent in rugby, now fast forward those collisions by 5 times and you get an ice hockey collision. The poor bloke who died was falling while the other player clearly found himself in an awkward position. The idea that he went in to hurt him let alone kill him, is imo absolutely insane. If you look at where the ‘murder’ narrative is being driven from, it’s white supremacy corners of Twitter, as the Sheffield player is black. They are accusing that this is a racially aggravated murder. That should be a sign that this is again absolutely insane. Accidents happen. It’s messed up but what would even be justice? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

So I don’t watch a lot of ice hockey (although have been to numerous panthers games) but I do watch a lot of rugby. In rugby there are a lot of dangerous collisions which occur due to bad technique but also rapid change of dynamics. Now therefore it’s hard to prove intent in rugby, now fast forward those collisions by 5 times and you get an ice hockey collision. The poor bloke who died was falling while the other player clearly found himself in an awkward position. The idea that he went in to hurt him let alone kill him, is imo absolutely insane. If you look at where the ‘murder’ narrative is being driven from, it’s white supremacy corners of Twitter, as the Sheffield player is black. They are accusing that this is a racially aggravated murder. That should be a sign that this is again absolutely insane. Accidents happen. It’s messed up but what would even be justice? 

Well said.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Don't think it's murder but friends of mine who have played ice hockey reckon it's hard to see how he didn't go in to hurt him (having seen the zoomed in footage).

Didn't Will Alves get his leg snapped on purpose and people on here were clamouring for a GBH charge? The racially aggravated stuff is clearly bullshit and going in to hurt people is pretty standard in ice hockey and they are exceptionally well padded so it is a horrendously unlucky thing but I don't know how people are saying what happened either way. The police clearly think its worth looking into based on bbc news 

Also just to point out I'm not saying they're culpable I'm saying it's worth looking at with an open mind as all accidents are

Edited by bmt
  • Like 1

Just now, bmt said:

Don't think it's murder but friends of mine who have played ice hockey reckon it's hard to see how he didn't go in to hurt him (having seen the zoomed in footage).

Didn't Will Alves get his leg snapped on purpose and people on here were clamouring for a GBH charge? The racially aggravated stuff is clearly bullshit and going in to hurt people is pretty standard in ice hockey and they are exceptionally well padded so it is a horrendously unlucky thing but I don't know how people are saying what happened either way. The police clearly think its worth looking into based on bbc news 

(As in played ice hockey to a decent standard but not professionally)

The English Ice Hockey Association has responded to the tragic death of Nottingham Panthers player Adam Johnson by making it mandatory "that all players at all levels across English Ice Hockey use an approved Ice Hockey Neck Guard/Protector whilst participating in all on ice activities."

The rule will effective starting Jan. 1, 2024, largely due to anticipated supply issues, the EIHA says. Until then, it has imposed a "strong recommendation” that its players begin using a neck guard.

37 minutes ago, bmt said:

Also just to point out I'm not saying they're culpable I'm saying it's worth looking at with an open mind as all accidents are

The police have to I think, on the basis that it's a sudden death?

I don't see any point in pursuing a criminal charge, firstly, this guy will have to live with the knowledge that he killed somebody for the rest of his life, that is a life sentence in itself. Secondly, there is no way you would be able to prove intent to hurt UNLESS he had tried something similar earlier in the match. There is absolute overwhelming doubt that it was intentional. Dragging it out in the courts would be even more traumatic than it already is. That is not justice.