Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Ice Hockey

29 minutes ago, MPH said:

The reality is they will probably compromise on a lesser charge. Culpable and a reckless conduct maybe?   And I doubt he’ll do time. He definitely intended to stop him in my opinion, but I’m sure he’s absolutely distraught at the outcome.  A cheeky kick maybe? But either way, he’s got to live with this for the rest of his life..

That's not a thing down here in England.

There are a couple of different types of manslaughter which relate to unlawful or dangerous acts, so it'll all obviously come down to why and what he thought he was doing with his leg in the air, and whether that was dangerous/whether he was acting unlawfully. 

By giving him a lot of time since the incident, there will no doubt be a lot of evidence for the Police and CPS to comb through (messages to family and friends, team mates etc) which is probably why he's being held for so long, and probably why he was arrested rather than just interviewed on a voluntary basis (so they could seize electronic devices).

If he's even hinted to somebody that his movement (not the incident) may have been intentional, he's struggling; it's quite clear that players know how dangerous the blades are.

I have sympathy with him for the outcome and for any consequences that follow as I'm not sure he could possibly have imagined in a split second what would happen, but from watching the video I think he's going to be in big trouble here unless he can explain that movement fully with corroborating evidence. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig said:

There are a couple of different types of manslaughter which relate to unlawful or dangerous acts, so it'll all obviously come down to why and what he thought he was doing with his leg in the air, and whether that was dangerous/whether he was acting unlawfully. 

By giving him a lot of time since the incident, there will no doubt be a lot of evidence for the Police and CPS to comb through (messages to family and friends, team mates etc) which is probably why he's being held for so long, and probably why he was arrested rather than just interviewed on a voluntary basis (so they could seize electronic devices).

If he's even hinted to somebody that his movement (not the incident) may have been intentional, he's struggling; it's quite clear that players know how dangerous the blades are.

I have sympathy with him for the outcome and for any consequences that follow as I'm not sure he could possibly have imagined in a split second what would happen, but from watching the video I think he's going to be in big trouble here unless he can explain that movement fully with corroborating evidence. 

Agree here, when I first seen the incident I thought he’d tried to get out of the way of another opponent and the speed he was travelling at had a big impact on the situation. 

10 hours ago, bmt said:

I think I have a similar view of it as you but I'd be slightly surprised if he doesn't get done for it. I think he meant to hurt him (not injure and definitely not kill). Everyone I have spoken to who knows anything about the sport says there is no reason to have your foot that high, and he has previous for being a bit of a weapon (as do a shit load of other ice hockey players).

I think it's a landmark case because although it's very unlucky he clearly does mean to hit him hard. I think with that being a given it'd be difficult to say he's not guilty. Maybe I don't understand the law though!

It’s just proving it, without some good evidence (him admitting he purposely tried to hurt him) could set a dangerous precedent. It is after all a sport where rough contact is expected by all taking part. 

Imagine tripping someone in football and they fall and break their neck? I suppose the big difference is they have dangerous weapons strapped to their feed so there should be an extra level of caution and care. 

They have clearly been speaking to players whether current or ex from what they said. And you’d have to think they’ve all said he’s gone for him.

• Like 1

It’s sad that it’s come to this, as a panthers fan it’s hard to know if Petgrave meant to go as high up on Johnson as he did. 

Ice Hockey players armour protection covers the chest and shoulder area so potentially Petgrave has aimed for that to foul Johnson who would have a 1 v 1 with the netminder. 

Unfortunately he’s gone too high and caught the neck area. It’s a question now of does the electronic evidence post incident show any indication that this was a deliberate act. 

10 hours ago, Craig said:

there’s actually an incident going around from 10 years previously of him striking someone else with his skate.  It will be interesting to see how much that plays a part in the prosecution..

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

It’s just proving it, without some good evidence (him admitting he purposely tried to hurt him) could set a dangerous precedent. It is after all a sport where rough contact is expected by all taking part. 

Imagine tripping someone in football and they fall and break their neck? I suppose the big difference is they have dangerous weapons strapped to their feed so there should be an extra level of caution and care. 

They have clearly been speaking to players whether current or ex from what they said. And you’d have to think they’ve all said he’s gone for him.

I don’t know how relevant the prosecution will make it, but there’s a video going round of him striking someone else with his skate about 10 years previously…

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

Watching the Canucks at wild. 

Such high quality hockey, fast and committed. 

Canucks are absolutely on it. Very slick. All lines engaged to a plan. Will be interesting to see what moves are made before trade deadline. 

10-7 :o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

There's no use pointing out the obvious!

My habs tanking so cant talk much but my ideal final this year is 

Toronto vs  canucks (or oilers or jets) and for toronto to either get swept or lose in 7 in OT after leading 4-1 lol.

Edited by Jattdogg

16 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Toronto vs  canucks (or oilers or jets) and for toronto to either get swept or lose in 7 in OT after leading 4-1 lol.

Honestly, I haven't watched a game all season. I occasionally look at the scores, but that's about all.

58 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Honestly, I haven't watched a game all season. I occasionally look at the scores, but that's about all.

Checked out huh? I see some correlation to how some of us feel about city this year. But you can never walk away lol

On 31/03/2024 at 16:29, Jattdogg said:

You want to talk about a tank? Just look at the Shark Tank this year.

Every time they have a bright spot, they trade it away and now, no more than 6 points from the remaining 8 games will guarantee most balls in the draft lottery. (And probably will mean Chicago get the first pick anyway).

I've not even been able to watch highlights this year - its difficult to know if you want your team to win or lose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...