Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Juvenile

Car Insurance

some advice needed, in 2014 a car went into the back of me, no damage was caused and no claim was made. What I did do was make a courtesy call to the insurance company. Coming to renew today it appears on my 'file'. A £270 quote has suddenly shot up to £400. Firstly I guess if anything similar happens don't tell them, but such an increase due to no damage and no claim? What the fcuk. Does anyone know of any way around such a thing? And has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers.

Shit I can't offer any advice but I saw something on TV about this recently and they are allowed to up your policy costs due to this. Simply phoning them (without even making a claim) counts as evidence that you have been involved in a collision, and regardless of fault, they see you as a higher risk driver and will up your policy costs. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it but it's all above board

More info here: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3052191/How-drivers-insurance-costs-soar-no-fault-accidents-don-t-claim.html

Yeah I heard the same thing on telly. Might have been Watchdog or something.

Insurance companies are absolute f**ckers. I got burdened for five years for a claim that ended up being worth about £5 more than my excess. 

To cut a long story short, smacked the wheel of my car into a metal bollard thing. Called the AA to recover because the car was undriveable. The AA bloke told me I'd definitely ruined the steering rack and it would be a massive, expensive job. Stupidly I listened. Car went into the bodyshop and all they replaced was a track rod end worth about £30. Had to declare that claim for the next five years.

The whole thing's a joke. My insurance has only gone up in the last few years. I'm 26 and don't have any claims, had my license since I was 17, have 3 years no claims (I went a few years without driving), drive an '07 1.4l 207 and am still being quoted £800+ from most places. Have had to go with budget companies just to get it below £800 so someone's bound to drive into the back of me at some point.

The whole thing's a joke. My insurance has only gone up in the last few years. I'm 26 and don't have any claims, had my license since I was 17, have 3 years no claims (I went a few years without driving), drive an '07 1.4l 207 and am still being quoted £800+ from most places. Have had to go with budget companies just to get it below £800 so someone's bound to drive into the back of me at some point.

If you are driven into the back of, just play the old whiplash game. Guaranteed £1000 minimum, should cover any rise in your insurance for the next few years

I used to be dead against claiming injury unless actually injured until I heard that insurance companies can up your costs if you are driven into and you don't even make a claim. That is outrageous. Why should the victim have to pay out?

I've had a couple of insurance problems over the years and now I always get protected insurance policies.  Basically you pay a bit more but the first claim doesn't hit your no claims bonus.  Your no claims bonus can be affected by a collision, whether your fault or not (insurance companies sometimes agree that both parties should be penalised regardless of any obvious fault).  

My insurance went up due to the hailstones the other year because i was seen as a higher risk, which is odd because the chances of that ever happening again in the same place must be millions to one.

Same here - I was well pissed off as I hated the Megane I had at the time. Insurer's wouldn't write it off, the cost of the repair was just under what they valued the car at, lost my no claims and my policies have been well expensive since. Probably would have been better off to not declare it and fill the bumps in somehow

Didn't even get the pleasure of seeing the shit car get battered as I was in the Lake District at the time, couldn't believe when Birstall got mentioned on national news for a freak super-hailstorm 

some advice needed, in 2014 a car went into the back of me, no damage was caused and no claim was made. What I did do was make a courtesy call to the insurance company. Coming to renew today it appears on my 'file'. A £270 quote has suddenly shot up to £400. Firstly I guess if anything similar happens don't tell them, but such an increase due to no damage and no claim? What the fcuk. Does anyone know of any way around such a thing? And has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers.

Shop around for the best deal on one of the comparison sites then move your policy to the lowest cost insurer. Your existing insurer is obliged to give you a No Claims Discount certificate so that your NCD years carry over to ensure you're not penalised for changing insurer. At the same time, they will not hand over your full file so your record with your new insurer will be clean and your skirmish will not be taken into account for future premium calculations.

Shop around for the best deal on one of the comparison sites then move your policy to the lowest cost insurer. Your existing insurer is obliged to give you a No Claims Discount certificate so that your NCD years carry over to ensure you're not penalised for changing insurer. At the same time, they will not hand over your full file so your record with your new insurer will be clean and your skirmish will not be taken into account for future premium calculations.

I have checked all comparison sites, the quote I mentioned was the cheapest on the sites with Admiral. As I was about to pay he mentioned the extra note on my file (assuming it is on the same database every company uses). Even if they have to increase my premium because of an 'incident' where there was no damage and no claim, how can they justify it from 230 to £400?

And to add to it, I had put 1 claim on my quote that had 1000£ of damage that was my fault, and it still came out at 230! Which makes the rise to 400 even more bizarre.

insurance companies seem to be able to charge whatever they want, whenever they want.

are there any legal prices theyre limited to? doesnt seem to be.

it is so unfair, by law we have to be insured but there is no law preventing us from being ripped off.

It's an absolute joke, you are told to report it even if there is no claim made, so they up your premium. And if you don't and they find out you get voided. Lose lose even if you are not at fault.

Cheers.

My mates wife had this just the other day ....    he rang up and really laid into them (twice I think) and they 'adjusted their records' in the end ...     I can't remember all the details but will see him in the pub tonight and ask.

I have checked all comparison sites, the quote I mentioned was the cheapest on the sites with Admiral. As I was about to pay he mentioned the extra note on my file (assuming it is on the same database every company uses). Even if they have to increase my premium because of an 'incident' where there was no damage and no claim, how can they justify it from 230 to £400?

And to add to it, I had put 1 claim on my quote that had 1000£ of damage that was my fault, and it still came out at 230! Which makes the rise to 400 even more bizarre.

Insurers don't use the same database. Only Admiral knows you told them about the accident for which you did not claim.

As far as the illogical premium rating, this is because insurers try to balance their books in order to avoid concentrations of risk. So an insurer who already has a lot of people with similar characteristics to you will probably charge you a higher premium because they don't really want you as a customer. They also place different weights on factors like age, postcode, claims history etc. in order to manage risk across their book of business.

• 1 year later...

Got my renewal quote from Admiral, £600 increase, absolutely shambolic.

Anyone else found prices have shot up? Cheapest quote I've found so far would still have me paying £300 more than I currently am.

26 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Anyone else found prices have shot up? Cheapest quote I've found so far would still have me paying £300 more than I currently am.

Bloody hell when did they go up? 

Did mine in July and paid £25 less for the year :blink:

On 23/02/2016 at 10:17, Juvenile said:

Cheers.

There are 2/3 things that impact your insurance.

1 - your location, have you moved ? or if there have been a recent spate of claims in the area

2 - claims or notifications you've made. Even if you ring the insurance company about an accident, they will screw you over

3 - Government raising prices 

When my insurance went up I got them to explain the reason, and the above 3 are reasons it can go up. I disputed the first 2 and then they mentioned each year the government put premiums up and they just pass cost onto customer 

1 hour ago, Lovejoy said:

Insurance companies compete on cost.  They often offer a low premium for the first year to attract your business then remove the discount for renewals, so if you stick with the same company it can cost you.

If you've had a claim then your premium will go up.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Bloody hell when did they go up? 

Did mine in July and paid £25 less for the year :blink:

Yeah, madness. No accidents or offences in the last year, decent no claims and my mileage is low as I commute via train, the car only gets used once a week lol.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Ring them, the email quotes they sent me were ridic. 

I always do, but this amount I thought was staggering. The Missus has been stung as well with a different provider, seems to be a common thing.

Hypothetical question. We have 3 cars in our household. When you fill in the form online for insurance they ask you whether you keep the car on the road, drive or garage. There's only 1 space in the garage but it might not be the same car in it everytime. What do you put on the form?

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Hypothetical question. We have 3 cars in our household. When you fill in the form online for insurance they ask you whether you keep the car on the road, drive or garage. There's only 1 space in the garage but it might not be the same car in it everytime. What do you put on the form?

I'd tend to say that it was parked on the drive. Insurance companies often rate keeping it in the garage as a higher risk so the premiums are slightly higher. Seems slightly crazy, but apparently a lot of people have scrapes going in/out of the garage.

21 minutes ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

I'd tend to say that it was parked on the drive. Insurance companies often rate keeping it in the garage as a higher risk so the premiums are slightly higher. Seems slightly crazy, but apparently a lot of people have scrapes going in/out of the garage.

But if you do that and then scrape the car on the way out of the garage are you covered?

You should be - it's where the car is predominately kept. You could just say that you usually keep the car on the drive, but on that particular day you had to put it in the garage for any bullshit reason you care to invent. Unless your neighbours are going to rat you out they have no way of knowing where you keep the car most of the time.

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Wait. People keep cars in their garage? I thought they were just for filling full of crap?

Archived