Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

I was just concerned about having 2 lots of insurance for the same day, with different companies. I know you can only only use your NCB on one car and, on that day it'll be on 2 cars. Which i know they do when you're staying with the same company but,  unless they come up with a vastly improved quote when I call on Monday, I'll be swapping companies. 

Need to get a cheap ish car for work. 25-30k miles per year. Medium sized. Ideally diesel for miles. Ideally ULez compliant.

Budget around £7k.

Best bets look to be Peugeot 308 or Vauxhall Astra.

Any thoughts on which would be best?

1 minute ago, Big Dave said:

Need to get a cheap ish car for work. 25-30k miles per year. Medium sized. Ideally diesel for miles. Ideally ULez compliant.

Budget around £7k.

Best bets look to be Peugeot 308 or Vauxhall Astra.

Any thoughts on which would be best?

The 308 would definitely be the best bet out of those 2.

Look for the GT Line or Feline models.

Decent specs. Sat nav and parking sensors as standard.

If you're lucky, you might find one with reverse camera and panoramic roof.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The 308 would definitely be the best bet out of those 2.

Look for the GT Line or Feline models.

Decent specs. Sat nav and parking sensors as standard.

If you're lucky, you might find one with reverse camera and panoramic roof.

2017 2008 GT line I just acquired, has these.

I find the panoramic roof is fine for making the cabin feel airier, but rear seat passengers will benefit the most and looking at the sky could take their mind off having their knees crammed against the front seats.

TBF I knew what I was buying and rarely is there anyone else in the car but me and Mrs Para. I like the car but having had an Audi a6, the lack of space and nice (but maybe unnecessary) touches, takes a bit of getting used to.

Also, I'd never buy a Vauxhall. Ever.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

2017 2008 GT line I just acquired, has these.

I find the panoramic roof is fine for making the cabin feel airier, but rear seat passengers will benefit the most and looking at the sky could take their mind off having their knees crammed against the front seats.

TBF I knew what I was buying and rarely is there anyone else in the car but me and Mrs Para. I like the car but having had an Audi a6, the lack of space and nice (but maybe unnecessary) touches, takes a bit of getting used to.

Also, I'd never buy a Vauxhall. Ever.

Vauxhall and Peugeot are almost identical nowadays.

All built on the same chassis and look very similar. Just compare a 208 and a Corsa then the 308 and Astra. Actually, pretty much every model they both offer. And the vans are identical. 

But Vauxhall is actually the budget version of the brands, the Peugeot's are a bit more luxurious.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Vauxhall and Peugeot are almost identical nowadays.

All built on the same chassis and look very similar. Just compare a 208 and a Corsa then the 308 and Astra. Actually, pretty much every model they both offer. And the vans are identical. 

But Vauxhall is actually the budget version of the brands, the Peugeot's are a bit more luxurious.

Having previously owned Citroen and then Renault, that were nightmares for expensive parts, repairs and faults, I said I'd never buy French again.

Add to that, the Audi experience, and I was sure I would to stick to my reluctance. However any decent VAG car was beyond my budget. I have to admit now that the Peugeot is probably the better French car even though they're part of the Renault group. (I believe).

Edited by Parafox

1 minute ago, Big Dave said:

Thanks all

Anything to look out for with the 308?

As per Parafox - bit concerned about the rear legroom - looks to be minimal.

Not really. The boot on the thing is bloody massive!

The main thing is what you think of the i-cockpit. Flat top steering wheel and instrument panel designed to be viewed over the steering wheel, as opposed to the traditional through it.

Some love it, some hate it. Never bothered me to be honest.

17 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Having previously owned Citroen and then Renault, that were nightmares for expensive parts, repairs and faults, I said I'd never buy French again.

Add to that, the Audi experience, and I was sure I would to stick to my reluctance. However any decent VAG car was beyond my budget. I have to admit now that the Peugeot is probably the better French car even though they're part of the Renault group. (I believe).

Not part of Renault, they're in bed with Nissan. The Qashqai and Kadjar are in the same chassis, as are the Juke and Captur.

Peugeot now owned by Stellantis, the biggest car manufacturers in the world...Jeep, Citroën, DS, Alfa, Vauxhall, Fiat, Maserati...

In the last few years these have shot up the reliability rankings, often beating the stereotypical 'reliable German' brands :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Welcome, welcome. Save me reading through the thread and remind what you've gone for?

I-Pace.

Save me reading the thread too, was it you who had the PodPoint charger? We'd looked at Ohme through Octopus, but we're getting a PodPoint with it.

13 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I-Pace.

Save me reading the thread too, was it you who had the PodPoint charger? We'd looked at Ohme through Octopus, but we're getting a PodPoint with it.

Very nice.

Yeah, we've got a Podpoint. Been absolutely fine, although we've barely used it as I can charge at work for nowt.

If you can solve the mystery of how to stop other folks just parking up on our drive when we're not there and charging up for free, please share as I'm getting very lazy about finding out this sort of stuff in my old age

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Very happy so far. It's nippy! Am no longer a miserable Merc owner and back to being a very joyful Jaguar owner.

Get a lock for it?

https://www.electricpoint.com/pod-point-solo-ev-charger-locking-mechanism.html

I saw those but assumed there was a more cunning electronic way of locking them down, but I don't think there is.

Should probably get one, imagine coming home and some cheeky sod is charging up his Tesla on your drive. "Don't mind me mate, only another couple of hours to go"

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Very nice.

Yeah, we've got a Podpoint. Been absolutely fine, although we've barely used it as I can charge at work for nowt.

If you can solve the mystery of how to stop other folks just parking up on our drive when we're not there and charging up for free, please share as I'm getting very lazy about finding out this sort of stuff in my old age

How old is your pod point? It should have an app where you can turn it on and off. 

I leave mine on all the time not sure anyone is cheeky enough to nick a charge really.

As an aside, first time I've popped my head in this thread. I'm on my second Polestar 2 now. I get to lease through work at a fairly decent discounted rate. For my use case, it's been perfect and an easy transition. Then again though, I don't cover a lot of miles or go on long trips, just lots of short, sharp journeys which an EV is great for.

In any case, nice to see some fellow EV drivers here!

Edited by fleshdaddy

3 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I just go into schedule and only have the thing active between midnight and 0500. Someone could rock up on my driveway outside of those hours, plug in, and nothing would charge. 

Screenshot_20230816_211640_Pod Point.jpg

Mine's set exactly the same, as it turns out, is that the default ? It's a bit weird as I'm sure I'd changed it, maybe it lost its settings or something 

I need to play around with it as I'm sure I plugged it in the other day during the day and it just started charging anyway

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

Mine's set exactly the same, as it turns out, is that the default ? It's a bit weird as I'm sure I'd changed it, maybe it lost its settings or something 

I need to play around with it as I'm sure I plugged it in the other day during the day and it just started charging anyway

Option at the top switched between "manual" plug in and always charge or "smart" which is run on a schedule. My default when I got it was smart but 24 hours so a bit pointless. 

5 minutes ago, fleshdaddy said:

As an aside, first time I've popped my head in this thread. I'm on my second Polestar 2 now. I get to lease through work at a fairly decent discounted rate. For my use case, it's been perfect and an easy transition. Then again though, I don't cover a lot of miles or go on long trips, just lots of shorter, sharp journeys which an EV is great for.

In any case, nice to see some fellow EV drivers here!

I've basically had one forced on me, in the nicest possible way. I'm a complete convert now though and doing two very long trips recently hasn't put me off at all.

I'm also very excited to have inadvertently been drawn into one of the weirder strands of the culture wars, as I'm getting loads of stories pushed at me from right wing media sources about how awful they are

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Option at the top switched between "manual" plug in and always charge or "smart" which is run on a schedule. My default when I got it was smart but 24 hours so a bit pointless. 

That makes perfect sense but I'm not sure that was what mine has been doing. I think a turning it off then on again might be required