Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Would you support a world govt?

I know this is a joke but FIFA was the first thing that came to mind when I imagined a World government, I think that's the best example of the World trying to run something that concerns the World and not something I'd want to follow.

And me too. Similar concept too. Blatter's seen as a hero in some countries.

Thinking on how this 'might' work, I would be willing to support the idea on a very narrow policy basis if the officials selected were selected at random from a selection pool... with democratic will only expressed as a vote for those officials to continue or not in that role at frequent periods.

That said - this model would probably need to be tested at a lower first - but from the studies I've read, this type of governence can work better as you don't get career politicians stuck on a narrow politic mindset set by a collective.

They of course mean failed states, deciding when to send in troops to stop civil wars etc. What we will get is multinational agenda's intervening to ensure their markets are not destroyed.

This.

Rich people have guns, poor people have fuel. Rich people need more reasons to police world.

If all people were nice and cared for not just their families but all peoples of the world and the environment they will be leaving behind etc then it could work but if they were like that you probably wouldn't need a World Government. 

Sadly DavieG, far too many people don't even get to first base and look after their families properly. On here, put three contributors in a line and they won't agree so, even with the smallest of numbers, there's evidence aplenty that world government has no chance.

I'd be more than happy to see the government of this country looking after its own first before concerning itself with the rest of the world...and using our example, if we can make it a good one, as a blueprint for others.

It happens in football. Managers by and large look after their own teams and avoid commenting on other people's teams and there's some wisdom in that. No I don't mean we shouldn't help others where we can. But lets look after our own first whether it be our family, our friends, our city or country and our country.

That's hard enough to get right and should be priority before taking on other people's responsibilities and likely increasing the impact of our own shortcomings.

Sadly DavieG, far too many people don't even get to first base and look after their families properly. On here, put three contributors in a line and they won't agree so, even with the smallest of numbers, there's evidence aplenty that world government has no chance.

I'd be more than happy to see the government of this country looking after its own first before concerning itself with the rest of the world...and using our example, if we can make it a good one, as a blueprint for others.

It happens in football. Managers by and large look after their own teams and avoid commenting on other people's teams and there's some wisdom in that. No I don't mean we shouldn't help others where we can. But lets look after our own first whether it be our family, our friends, our city or country and our country.

That's hard enough to get right and should be priority before taking on other people's responsibilities and likely increasing the impact of our own shortcomings.

Kindly define "our own". People we have grown up with? People we share skin colour, religion or rough geographical location with? I can understand the first, knowing and growing up with people gives you a sense of loyalty to them (even though quite often family members give you zero reason to be loyal to them), but the second seems totally arbitrary. What exactly, have such people done to deserve your respect and loyalty above others?

I can understand wanting to look after yourself and those you feel close knit bonds to (the family and friends you choose) and I can understand wanting to feel loyalty to all humanity. But everything in between, outside of a partisan sporting sphere (LCFC always, after all)? Nah.

I can understand that others feel differently, though, and there's something in the idea that if you get three people in a room at least two of them will disagree about something, hence my view on power being decentralised as much as possible outside of a few key areas that have global contribution and collaboration.

If Planets like Mars and Venus were occupied and the inhabitants Thrach would you add Our World to family, friends, City and Country first list? I do not disagree entirely with you just wondering why looking after others has to stop at a given point. As I said it would be a great idea but because the nature of the Human Race is to congregate into tribal groups and put them first the idea would not work.

First we would have to get rid of religion and politicians leaving noone to tell us how to live our lives and unfortunately need to be led to survive.

If Planets like Mars and Venus were occupied and the inhabitants Thrach would you add Our World to family, friends, City and Country first list? I do not disagree entirely with you just wondering why looking after others has to stop at a given point. As I said it would be a great idea but because the nature of the Human Race is to congregate into tribal groups and put them first the idea would not work.

First we would have to get rid of religion and politicians leaving noone to tell us how to live our lives and unfortunately need to be led to survive.

It is an interesting point, if there were inhabited nearby planets we would almost definitely have a world government to protect against our interests.

It is an interesting point, if there were inhabited nearby planets we would almost definitely have a world government to protect against our interests.

If there were inhabited nearby planets and they had the capability to come visit then I don't think a world government (or any kind of government) would do us much good. 

That is, of course, assuming they wanted to treat us the way some humans view other species on Earth.

If there were inhabited nearby planets and they had the capability to come visit then I don't think a world government (or any kind of government) would do us much good. 

That is, of course, assuming they wanted to treat us the way some humans view other species on Earth.

Exactly. They may already have an Utopian society and not behave like Humans having done away with gods. Humans are suspicious of anyone different to themselves and the groups they live among believing they are the higher being.

If the aliens promised to show the world how to live in peace there would be people thinking they would want to take over our minds and  impose their customs on us and bring in immigration laws to prevent them entering and landing on our planet.

Newspapers would run headlines 'Terrorist threats from alien refugees' and America would plan air strikes on their planet so as to take their leader out.

I would volunteer if they asked for people  to move to their world. Humans suck as a race. :) 

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”  CS Lewis

A world government will happen if the people allow it.

The phrase 'New World Order' has been delivered to our minds for years now.

I wouldn't support such a thing because to have it would be an economic and politically logistical nightmare, and that's if 100% of the world's population wanted it.

It is incredibly difficult for a PM of Britain to understand localism to Leicester, never mind the EU or beyond.

Can you imagine having to elect a WG MP to represent you in a world government, arguing with a Japanese, Columbian or New Zealand counterpart about fishing quoatas or laws?

What gun laws would we have? Works in Switzerland, lowest crime rate in Europe, 50-50 in America.

It could only ever be forced upon us, like the EU is.

But just because it is impossible, why is it seen as a bad thing to have it as a goal?

Because we're not all five years old? Wanting to be a professional footballer when you're five is fine. Wanting to be a professional footballer when you're thirty five is ridiculous.

Only way it will happen is if there is an apocalypse. Even then there would be some rebels not wanting to join in. Would be difficult to impose the same rules and ideals worldwide. A lot of married couples cannot even agree about what TV programme to watch so what chance does world peace have? 

Because we're not all five years old? Wanting to be a professional footballer when you're five is fine. Wanting to be a professional footballer when you're thirty five is ridiculous.

I'm not talking about wanting to be a professional footballer, I'm talking about working towards making the world a better place, why is this seen as a bad thing?

You have called it childish, Thracian calls it naïve, why? I'm not stupid enough to think it would be easy and that if  we all just agreed to get  along then everywhere would be a happy place filled with rainbows and bunnies. Co-operation on a global scale is already happening in certain industries and technologies and huge progress is made. Why not try to expand it to include more social and environmental problems.  If a world government, or just extended powers of the UN help facilitate that then it is a good thing in my opinion.

Even if you look at  it purely from a self interest point of view it is in our interest to have some sort of body to regulate and govern countries like India and China when so much of our direct and indirect economy relies on it.

It is sad that people get so cynical that even a theoretical philosophy of greater global co-operation is derided.

I'm not talking about wanting to be a professional footballer, I'm talking about working towards making the world a better place, why is this seen as a bad thing?

You have called it childish, Thracian calls it naïve, why? I'm not stupid enough to think it would be easy and that if  we all just agreed to get  along then everywhere would be a happy place filled with rainbows and bunnies. Co-operation on a global scale is already happening in certain industries and technologies and huge progress is made. Why not try to expand it to include more social and environmental problems.  If a world government, or just extended powers of the UN help facilitate that then it is a good thing in my opinion.

Even if you look at  it purely from a self interest point of view it is in our interest to have some sort of body to regulate and govern countries like India and China when so much of our direct and indirect economy relies on it.

It is sad that people get so cynical that even a theoretical philosophy of greater global co-operation is derided.

But what is your idea of Utopia because I doubt it's the same as mine.

Archived