Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScouseFox

Kramaric to Hoffenheim

Akinbyi scored 11 in 58 for us at a rate of 1 in 5.3

Just in case anyone forgets how terrible he was:

Liverpool were the visitors to Filbert Street on Saturday, October 20, 2001.

Akinbiyi had not scored in 15 games. Pressure was mounting.

That afternoon, Liverpool ran out at Filbert Street and won at a canter. 4-1. Robbie Fowler scored a hat-trick. Fowler scored more goals in that afternoon than Akinbiyi had managed in the previous 18 games.

Oh yes, he was dire, but as a point of discussion I was referencing Akinbiyi's first season, where he scored 1 in 4.

The overall point I'm making isn't to suggest that Akinbiyi is a good signing, nor that he is a success, but that there is basis for comparison between the two given the hefty price-tag, the weighty pressure and the under performances.

Again, my posts have pointed out that AA missed chances regularly, and should've scored far, far more as a striker. I will also point out that AK hasn't had the game-time that AA had.

Still, the point remains, he's flopped....and badly. To be even entertaining the idea of this discussion is evidence of that. I wish him well, but he never did it at Leicester.

This move also makes his appearance at the parade all the more weird.

Anyone who thinks Akinbiyi was better obviously didn't watch us back then.

the point wasn't that one was better than the other or akinbuyi was any good, I was just wondering why two similar profile players (both record signings, both failed to score goals, both shoved out the back door for a, presumably, significant loss) were looked upon so differently by fans.

the point wasn't that one was better than the other or akinbuyi was any good, I was just wondering why two similar profile players (both record signings, both failed to score goals, both shoved out the back door for a, presumably, significant loss) were looked upon so differently by fans.

Because Kramaric showed the odd glimpse (arsenal away last season in particular) and didn't get that much chance to do anything given he got played while Nige thought 0-0 was the best result possible, then just didn't fit the style of the rest of the team. He could have been ok in a different set of circumstances. Akinbiyi was just irredeemably shit.

I think the management just accepted he doesn't fit our system. He could still easily end up being a top player.

I would also think the small fee is probably because he was one of our highest earners.

At the end of the day our scouting network is top class but not perfect (that's impossible) some signings just don't work out. We won the premier league and have moved on.

Wish Kramaric all the best in the future and thanks for your involvement in us staying in the league last season.

Every week I was hoping and praying Akinbyi would come good. It's easy to call someone shit without examining the circumstances. How about Taylor's involvement in paying out £5+m for him in the first place? There was a man(ager) whose estimation of his management abilities was far ahead of reality. He virtually doomed the man to fail. As for Kramaric - he didn't get the opportunity to play in a team formation that suited him. No player who gets to this level is shite - the team developed in a way which precluded him from contributing to it. The way it blossomed into the team which won the title was phenomenal - no criticism to anyone who couldn't force their way in - it would be like someone trying to get on a bus moving at 40 mph. So let's cut the unnecessary shite-slinging eh? Just didn't work out for the blokes.

I've said this before...when we were initially linked with Akinbiyi, very few complained. If my memory serves me rightly, wasn't he at Wolves and looked every inch a decent replacement for Heskey?

He joined us and it didnt work out for him either.

The kids on here won't know any of this of course but I'm pretty sure most were confident we were signing a good striker in Akinbiyi.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Every week I was hoping and praying  Akinbyi would come good. It's easy to call someone shit without examining the circumstances. How about Taylor's involvement in paying out £5+m for him in the first place? There was a man(ager) whose estimation of his management abilities was far ahead of reality. He virtually doomed the man to fail. As for Kramaric - he didn't get the opportunity to play in a team formation that suited him. No player who gets to this level is shite -  the team developed in a way which precluded him from contributing to it. The way it blossomed into the team which won the title was phenomenal -  no criticism to anyone who couldn't force their way in - it would be like someone trying to get on a bus moving at 40 mph. So let's cut the unnecessary shite-slinging eh? Just didn't work out for the blokes.

Even easier when you examine the circumstances and see that Akinbiyi was woeful - Taylor was dreadful in many aspects, but it's not as if he's the reason Akinbiyi missed tap-ins with alarming regularity. Akinbiyi simply wasn't cut out for the top flight at all. You can have players who come under big money and don't really justify the amount spent, but look reasonable at least - take Robinho at Manchester City; but Akinbiyi didn't look like an ok Premier League player under the weight of an overpriced tag, he just looked poor by any stretch.

Kramaric would bag so many in a possession based team.

what's this actually based on? whenever he did get a chance (and he got quite a few) he missed. just don't get it. 

sure he has a cool name and he dropped the shoulder loads of times an that but he really isn't/wasn't/probably never will be all that. add that to the fact he's not quick enough, not strong enough and not big enough to claim a spot in any top side and it's easy to see why he's going backwards. 

How can Kramaric even be compared to Akinbyi!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6195Uj7MQ

Not sure what you meant to show with this clip? Kram obviously scored and had some nice touches but if you REALLY watch it he could and probably should have had at least a hat trick.

If he was as good as everyone was hoping he'd be, we'd have kept him. Of course.

Even easier when you examine the circumstances and see that Akinbiyi was woeful - Taylor was dreadful in many aspects, but it's not as if he's the reason Akinbiyi missed tap-ins with alarming regularity. Akinbiyi simply wasn't cut out for the top flight at all. You can have players who come under big money and don't really justify the amount spent, but look reasonable at least - take Robinho at Manchester City; but Akinbiyi didn't look like an ok Premier League player under the weight of an overpriced tag, he just looked poor by any stretch.

I ask again..were you saying any of this BEFORE we signed Akinbiyi?

Not sure what you meant to show with this clip? Kram obviously scored and had some nice touches but if you REALLY watch it he could and probably should have had at least a hat trick.

If he was as good as everyone was hoping he'd be, we'd have kept him. Of course.

Well it surpases any performance we got out of Akinbiyi 

He arrived at the club at an unfortunate time and took too long to settle in.

Once we'd started on the great escape, his chances were numbered.

And then this season, he didn't fit the system we were playing. This isn't his fault, he wasn't signed for this manager or his tactics.

Some have said that he's a rare stinker from the scouting team but I don't really agree with that. Had Pearson stayed, I'm sure he would have featured more. After all, he was bought with Pearson's tactics in mind, not Ranieri's.

Hope the lad has a good career. I'm sure he will in the right team.

Well it surpases any performance we got out of Akinbiyi

Which means what exactly? I was talking about your clip of Kramaric.

Watch my lips.....If he was much good WE'D HAVE KEPT HIM....

You don't get rid of your record striker do you. ...?

I ask again..were you saying any of this BEFORE we signed Akinbiyi?

Don't think you've ever asked before, but i turned seven the offseason we signed akinbiyi. Don't tend to remember the opinions on potential signings that primary school me held but I can't imagine I knew much of him before he signed.

Guest bennytwohats

Big waste of money.

Never got the hype with him - so many on here give him so much more praise than he has ever earned in a Leicester shirt.

He arrived at the club at an unfortunate time and took too long to settle in.

Once we'd started on the great escape, his chances were numbered.

And then this season, he didn't fit the system we were playing. This isn't his fault, he wasn't signed for this manager or his tactics.

Some have said that he's a rare stinker from the scouting team but I don't really agree with that. Had Pearson stayed, I'm sure he would have featured more. After all, he was bought with Pearson's tactics in mind, not Ranieri's.

Hope the lad has a good career. I'm sure he will in the right team.

True, he was bought with a different view to the way we play... he was never going to fit in with our tactics now. Still think he could have been useful though, an impact player and maybe he could have worked on his strength and hold up play.

Archived