Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

The bank suggested solicitor has caused me nothing but strife in the past. Worth asking your mtg broker for their preferred solicitor 

Oh I didn't do it with a mortgage broker did it directly with the bank, just thought il do it all in one places as I find it really stressful and was told just to do it all in one place but am not sure how its so confusing and stressful 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ketteringscott said:

Are you remortgaging or looking to buy? Some banks offer "free legals" where they instruct their own solicitors. Otherwise, you will need to instruct a solicitor

Looking to buy 1st time buyer after 38 long years, yeah I did all that online but then was confused cos it started asking about solicitors etc, am I better off waiting for the bank to get back in touch as I have asked to speak to someone as I wasn't sure. It did say it comes with free legals and some other fees about application. Would an extra 4k be enough for all the fees and stuff or am I going have to ask my brother to lend mea grand or 2 where I would pay him back?

Okay can someone please tell me how long it takes to buy the house, I have found the house, put and offer in, got all the solicitor and surveyor to go have a look at the house and just waiting for the bank to say okay and the sells end? Just a rough idea as I have see. People say upto a year or so. No chains from both ends if that helps at all?

12 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Okay can someone please tell me how long it takes to buy the house, I have found the house, put and offer in, got all the solicitor and surveyor to go have a look at the house and just waiting for the bank to say okay and the sells end? Just a rough idea as I have see. People say upto a year or so. No chains from both ends if that helps at all?

Shouldn't take that long. Housing market has been cooling so solicitors etc hopefully not as busy. Always takes a couple of months even if it goes smoothly, wouldn't have thought it would take much longer than that but it's blooming ages since I bought a house

• Like 1

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

Shouldn't take that long. Housing market has been cooling so solicitors etc hopefully not as busy. Always takes a couple of months even if it goes smoothly, wouldn't have thought it would take much longer than that but it's blooming ages since I bought a house

Thanks I think am just nervous about the whole thing to be honest and keep checking for updates and nothing changed lol probably because am checking every hour but am glad it ain't gonna take a year well I hope it won't 

36 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

No reason why you shouldn’t be done in 12 weeks or so 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

usually between 2 and 4 months depending on both sets of solicitors and estate agents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeamRocket said:

It definitely shouldn't take 12 months. Things have improved in conveyancing in recent months, although, the market has picked up since Christmas and sometimes there's delays waiting for searches and stuff but I think you should anticipate 3 months. 

We had our offer accepted mid Feb and moved 4th June, and that had a 2 weeks delay due to the availability of the removal people. And was in 2021 lockdown. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

I sold my dads house with no chain in 3 months.

Dont worry too much pal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Thanks I hope it's not to long for us

Only advice I'd give is keep bugging your conveyancer and estate agent to "Get a move on" IN THE NICEST WAY!!!!!!

They have so many other clients, if you dont keep bugging them you'll just be lost in a queue.

Good luck

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Raj said:

Only advice I'd give is keep bugging your conveyancer and estate agent to "Get a move on" IN THE NICEST WAY!!!!!!

They have so many other clients, if you dont keep bugging them you'll just be lost in a queue.

Good luck

Thanks will do that

Edited by TeamRocket

Okay so I got my surveyor report and they said roof would need fixing in the feature am still happy to buy the house but would like to see if the seller will reduce the price, In your opinion how likely are they willing to renegotiate or to pull out? I don't want them to pull out if am honest but I thought il ask but now am thinking maybe I shouldn't have incase they pull out of the sale aghh 

50 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Okay so I got my surveyor report and they said roof would need fixing in the feature am still happy to buy the house but would like to see if the seller will reduce the price, In your opinion how likely are they willing to renegotiate or to pull out? I don't want them to pull out if am honest but I thought il ask but now am thinking maybe I shouldn't have incase they pull out of the sale aghh 

Aa long as it's a justified and realistic reduction there is no harm in asking.

They can only say no.

I had this with my dads house sale after the buyers had their surveyors report.

Initial sale as 355k, they wanted a reduction of 15k, we EVENTU6 settled in the middle.

It's all about negotiation AS LONG as its justified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamRocket said:

As Raj says, if it's reasonable and justified, absolutely no harm in asking. Assuming you have an approximate cost for the work?

Especially as the market has slowed, they may not have buyers queuing up, if they have found somewhere, they maybe very keen to keep you as a buyer. Additionally, if it's come up in your survey, it will also come up in future surveys, and they'll be in the same position.

I'd suggest your first step is to discuss the survey findings with the agent and their thoughts on a price renegotiation.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

As Raj says, if it's reasonable and justified, absolutely no harm in asking. Assuming you have an approximate cost for the work?

Especially, the market has slowed, they may not have buyers queuing up, if they have found somewhere, they maybe very keen to keep you as a buyer. Additionally, if it's come up in your survey, it will also come up in future surveys, and they'll be in the same position.

I'd suggest your first step is to discuss the survey findings with the agent and their thoughts on a price renegotiation.

Okay so the estate agent came back and prity much said no said that our mortgage lender have said yes so the offer, and something about the seller will say no as it was all ready hard to get them to lower the 1st asking price due to it being owned by them and an ex husband and why we asking for it be reduced, so we said cos of the roof need redoing but if you feel they will say no that's fine will stick to our original offer. My wife is stressed cos she now feels they will back off the sale cos we was asking, I tried to tell her it's okay to ask. Am I being to relax about it now or is the wife right 

26 minutes ago, Raj said:

Aa long as it's a justified and realistic reduction there is no harm in asking.

They can only say no.

I had this with my dads house sale after the buyers had their surveyors report.

Initial sale as 355k, they wanted a reduction of 15k, we EVENTU6 settled in the middle.

It's all about negotiation AS LONG as its justified.

To be honest we did ask for much off just 4k even though we know the roof will probably cost 10k. But at the same time we okay even if they say no as we already added the to our 1st offer, that x y and z will need redoing anyways, but after the servoyer report we meaning I thought it's worth asking but estagent said not likely will reduce due to it being a joint owenld by the wife and ex husband. So I said that okay but now the wife thinks we shouldnt have asked and they gonna back out. Should we be worried that the seller would be annoyed etc?

11 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

To be honest we did ask for much off just 4k even though we know the roof will probably cost 10k. But at the same time we okay even if they say no as we already added the to our 1st offer, that x y and z will need redoing anyways, but after the servoyer report we meaning I thought it's worth asking but estagent said not likely will reduce due to it being a joint owenld by the wife and ex husband. So I said that okay but now the wife thinks we shouldnt have asked and they gonna back out. Should we be worried that the seller would be annoyed etc?

Not at all, it's  a  business transaction they are not your friends.

It's the agents job to get sell the property at the best overall deal/price, remember they don’t work for you. You need to stress how good a buyer you are.

If its joint ownership by 2 parties separating then I would have thought there would be more room for movement as the cost is split.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Dont worry.

They wint be annoyed.

If your EA is decent they will fully make the sellers aware WHY the rationale behind the offer reduction.

Remember  the EA WANTS to close the deal.

It's in their best interest.

Keep us infor6 but dont worry TOO much.

Its stressful as I've just been through it,!!!

• Like 1

As first time buyers, this is a world of stress and all new to you. And you're right to stay calm.  A seller should not be annoyed that you ask for a discussion regarding the agreed price because you (the surveyor) has found a significant fault with the house. It's perfectly normal to do this. It's hard to hold your nerve as a FTB. It's a surprise the agent was so dismissive though.

If you agreed a price for a car and then discovered it needed 4 new tyres, you'd want to ask for a discount on the price. That's all you're doing here.

The only potential issue is that if the sellers are/have split up, and it's acrimonious, they might be angry. Not at you, just generally. That and people are unpredictable and can be idiots :P

• Thanks 1

Has anyone ever had a bespoke gazebo built? We've one of those metal one with a fabric canopy, but would like a permanent structure.

Looking online, they are very expensive, and you still have to build it yourself. I know the price of wood has increased, but the prices seem high for what they are. Wondering if we could get a builder or someone to build one.

This type of thing  https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/garden-structures/atlas-chunky-gazebo-w5m-x-d3m

• 4 weeks later...

The wind has knackered our fence, it’s currently propped up with a washing pole. Our neighbour’s not there at the moment, she’s been moved into a home and her daughter’s often over doing bits and bobs. I’m wondering if it’s on them to fix?

Attached an image of our title deeds. Our garden is 22. As I look out into the garden, the boundary that runs alongside the pavement and road is a wall.

D6F753CB-805F-49C2-A4AD-7B3626E7E32D.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

The wind has knackered our fence, it’s currently propped up with a washing pole. Our neighbour’s not there at the moment, she’s been moved into a home and her daughter’s often over doing bits and bobs. I’m wondering if it’s on them to fix?

Attached an image of our title deeds. Our garden is 22. As I look out into the garden, the boundary that runs alongside the pavement and road is a wall.

Believe it will be your neighbours. Normally the deeds have a T on them to indicate who's  fence is who's. But if it's your right hand side fence then its your neighbours to sort 😀

27 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

That's not the clearest plan :unsure:

Have you got the good side or the bad side of the fence? Bad side, then it's your neighbour's fence. If she's in a home, you'll need to speak to the daughter. Could you offer to make the arrangements if they pay?