Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Cracking hell the excitement here is palpable and I love it.

In terms of mortgage offer, have they been out for their valuation on the property yet? If so, and if you've send them all the documentation they need, I reckon it'll be another week maybe.

We had our valuation sorted a couple of weeks ago, and we had to send them a fourth month of payslips as they're corona jumpy, but after that the offer came through via email on Monday, with the postal one to sign still awaiting. The rate we're getting of 1.26% is just mind blowing, tbh.

How's your chain looking? It depends how long these things drag on. Our buyers are FTB and very keen, we're moving up to the next level of house for us and also very keen. The people we're buying from seemed keen, but it turns out they hadn't even registered their brand new house with Land Registry yet, and the solicitors they're using seem very slack.

Again, this only my experience, but I'd try and mentally reign your expectations to 12 weeks. If it's sooner than that, amazing, but from personal experience setting a goal less than that can really frustrate you when it digs on longer.

But enjoy the damn journey!

We are really excited, it's been a long, long time coming! Particularly since we nearly moved in January.

I buy commercial property through work so my expectations and knowing a bit about how long they can take has dampened my expectation on timescales. Given the pandemic, this is probably a good thing. 

Yes they went a week ago now for the mortgage valuation. We haven't been asked for anything else in terms of the mortgage as we stand, so perhaps end of next week we should hear something. I'm so keen to not have our side be the hold up!

That's a great rate you've got, is that a fixed rate? Ours isn't quite that low but not a million miles out! 

I'm hoping our solicitor is as good as my friends have made out, had two of them vouch for the solicitor we are using. One in particular absolutely raves about them.  

The chain is fairly standard, albeit nothing our side as FTB. The people you're buying from have to move somewhere and so do the people they're buying from. Always a chain somewhere! 

We've started picking up a few house bits too which has been nice, some very generous folk around. Someone we know is having a new integrated kitchen which has worked a dream for us, got a few big appliances from it! 

11 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

The wife and I are currently house hunting in South Yorkshire as i bagged myself a job in Doncaster last week. My jaw almost hit the floor when i realised how much cheaper houses are up there than in Leicester. 

We looked at a 4 bed end of terrace house on a fairly new estate (under 10 years old) in Wombwell, Barnsley, that was on the market for £140k. A practically identical one on the Chestnuts estate in Syston where we currently live was sold a few months ago for nearly £280k!

I was worried what we would be able to afford on just my salary, because my wife hasn't been able to find any work up here yet - she works in retail, every retail job advertised in the Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham areas is curently gettting almost 1000 applicants within a day of the job advert being published. But at these prices we should be able to get something decent with just my name on the mortgage application. Exciting times ahead!

Sidenote: anyone happen to be looking for a 3 bed semi in Syston? I know one that's available...

Made an offer on a house earlier, was told it was matched by someone else, raised it slightly, now been told it's been matched again by someone else (not the same person as the first offer) and the estate agent wants final offers. Raised it ever so slighty and said that's it for me I'm done, if the other party wants to pay more than that then let them have it.

That is if there is another party and it's not just a trick to get me to pay slightly more:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Made an offer on a house earlier, was told it was matched by someone else, raised it slightly, now been told it's been matched again by someone else (not the same person as the first offer) and the estate agent wants final offers. Raised it ever so slighty and said that's it for me I'm done, if the other party wants to pay more than that then let them have it.

That is if there is another party and it's not just a trick to get me to pay slightly more:ph34r:

Exciting, but nerve wracking! I'm a firm believer in what will be will be. If it's meant to be, you'll get it, otherwise there's something better out there for you. Good luck 🤞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/07/2020 at 13:20, TiffToff88 said:

The wife and I are currently house hunting in South Yorkshire as i bagged myself a job in Doncaster last week. My jaw almost hit the floor when i realised how much cheaper houses are up there than in Leicester. 

We looked at a 4 bed end of terrace house on a fairly new estate (under 10 years old) in Wombwell, Barnsley, that was on the market for £140k. A practically identical one on the Chestnuts estate in Syston where we currently live was sold a few months ago for nearly £280k!

I was worried what we would be able to afford on just my salary, because my wife hasn't been able to find any work up here yet - she works in retail, every retail job advertised in the Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham areas is curently gettting almost 1000 applicants within a day of the job advert being published. But at these prices we should be able to get something decent with just my name on the mortgage application. Exciting times ahead!

Good luck and Happy times, for your Next Step and Phase in your new life...

Anything North of Leicester tends to be better for the family budget.

Going out is a bit cheaper...Shopping depends on your targeted or Preferred shops...

Day out,and within Short distance are several interesting and diverse destinations...

• Like 2

On 24/07/2020 at 12:20, TiffToff88 said:

I work in Leicester, but a few years ago I had the opportunity to move to the Stockport office. I couldn't believe the difference in the house prices, and I was looking in the Peak District with a bit of a commute! The move didn't come off, but I probably would have been much better off if it had. 

So tempted to sell my house now and rent for a bit but I feel like whatever I do is a gamble.

Stay here- If we have a second wave my other half’s job will once again be at risk and then we may have to sell later when the prices could be much lower.

Sell and rent- The second wave might not materialise and I’ve then sold a great house in a great location that I’m very settled in.

Would have a significant amount of money in the bank if I did sell and rent but I’m not sure if I’m being overly cautious. Thoughts?

You can only go with your own personal decision mate.

For me, there's no way I'd sell to rent, you could end up stuck there wasting money on rent for a lot longer than you originally think, or rushing to buy another house that isn't right to get out of there.

Surely she can get another job? I'd start making cutbacks now (you probably already are), start sticking some coin in the bank ready just in case she does lose it, that way you'll be ok to live for a few months so she won't be rushing to find any old job.

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

So tempted to sell my house now and rent for a bit but I feel like whatever I do is a gamble.

Stay here- If we have a second wave my other half’s job will once again be at risk and then we may have to sell later when the prices could be much lower.

Sell and rent- The second wave might not materialise and I’ve then sold a great house in a great location that I’m very settled in.

Would have a significant amount of money in the bank if I did sell and rent but I’m not sure if I’m being overly cautious. Thoughts?

It's a really difficult one. I've been on both ends of the spectrum, I always owned a house with my first husband, since my early twenties, now I'm divorced I rent. 

There are pros and cons with both, obviously renting is seen as dead money, but then I get to enjoy absolutely no maintenance or upkeep costs. Plus I could move wherever I want to, pretty much whenever I feel like it.

How likely is it, do you know, that your other half might lose his job? 

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You can only go with your own personal decision mate.

For me, there's no way I'd sell to rent, you could end up stuck there wasting money on rent for a lot longer than you originally think, or rushing to buy another house that isn't right to get out of there.

Surely she can get another job? I'd start making cutbacks now (you probably already are), start sticking some coin in the bank ready just in case she does lose it, that way you'll be ok to live for a few months so she won't be rushing to find any old job.

Thanks, my other half is an airline pilot and in the current climate there is absolutely no chance of another job in that and anything else would be a probably 80% pay cut. 

I’ve got enough cash to last a while should that happen but in reality I wouldn’t be happy wasting it on just paying the bills.

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's a really difficult one. I've been on both ends of the spectrum, I always owned a house with my first husband, since my early twenties, now I'm divorced I rent. 

There are pros and cons with both, obviously renting is seen as dead money, but then I get to enjoy absolutely no maintenance or upkeep costs. Plus I could move wherever I want to, pretty much whenever I feel like it.

How likely is it, do you know, that your other half might lose his job? 

Cheers, at the minute it’s not very likely. He’s taken a 20% pay cut and that was to mitigate the need to mass redundancies but should a second wave hit I recon it would be absolutely carnage for the economy.