Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

And when you see DW houses or Redrow in South Leics with substandard fittings in comparison to this at around double the price, it's clear they're ripping people off.  Help to Buy they say, no chance, use the help us to sell this at a crazy price scheme.

Red Row aren’t double the price. I live in one in South Leicestershire comparable to that and it’s probably worth maybe 15k more than that now.

3 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

And when you see DW houses or Redrow in South Leics with substandard fittings in comparison to this at around double the price, it's clear they're ripping people off.  Help to Buy they say, no chance, use the help us to sell this at a crazy price scheme.

It’s funny you should say that! We looked at a DW homes house 6 weeks ago. We were quoted £480,000 and they’d pay the stamp duty. 

Today it’s £495,995 (conveniently) and they no longer have to pay the stamp duty. I’ve wished them looked selling it and asked them to call me back when the market crashes. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Thanks I’ll have a look later at what they are offering. Would rather stick with them.

Well that was easy, checked rates online compared to my existing lender and they were worse. Sorted a 5 year fixed at a lower rate than I am currently paying.

• Like 2

Estate agents are dodgy bastards aren't they?

Been trying to view a house that came up for sale during lockdown, was assured that nobody could view it or make an offer on it, and I've rang up again today and it's had an offer accepted. EA said that someone had previously viewed it as they were selling it last year, but I know the neighbour and the resident of the house has only just vacated the property, so they can't have been selling it last year:dunno:

Seems like a friend of a friend is buying it.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Estate agents are dodgy bastards aren't they?

Been trying to view a house that came up for sale during lockdown, was assured that nobody could view it or make an offer on it, and I've rang up again today and it's had an offer accepted. EA said that someone had previously viewed it as they were selling it last year, but I know the neighbour and the resident of the house has only just vacated the property, so they can't have been selling it last year:dunno:

Seems like a friend of a friend is buying it.

You could view properties after around 1st of June I think. Whenever the first easing of lockdown was anyway. 

With all of the discussion regarding the market opening and being busy I though I'd get onto the agents, expecting them to be busy. Still doing the tidy up phase but didn't want to finish then be waiting a week or two for the valuation. Called 5 yesterday, 2 booked for today and 3 Monday.

First bloke has valued it £15k less than the valuation we had over a year ago. But he hardly looked around.

12 hours ago, stix said:

You could view properties after around 1st of June I think. Whenever the first easing of lockdown was anyway. 

This was the local lockdown bud, property only came on the market on 4th July.

Another one near me just gone up anyway, hopefully try and get a viewing next week.

• Like 1

So any advice on this would be gladly received......

We moved to a new house on 10th July (Scotland).  It is an perils property built around 1820 so we expected a wee bit of work but mostly cosmetic.  Nothing to worrying in home report.  We discovered yesterday that we have dry rot and the first guy quoted £10000!!!! Obviously we nearly cried.  We will get a second and third opinion but not looking great.  We are hoping we might be eligible for some kind of recourse as the surveyor missed it?  Stressful to say the least. X

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

We moved to a new house on 10th July (Scotland).  It is an perils property built around 1820 so we expected a wee bit of work but mostly cosmetic.  Nothing to worrying in home report.  We discovered yesterday that we have dry rot and the first guy quoted £10000!!!! Obviously we nearly cried.  We will get a second and third opinion but not looking great.  We are hoping we might be eligible for some kind of recourse as the surveyor missed it?  Stressful to say the least. X

Start praying 😉

• Haha 1

In a real dilemma, remortgage and do £20-30k worth of improvements to our house but essentially still have certain problems with whether the house is ideal for us long term or sell and buy another house and likely increase our mortgage by £75-100k in the process. Keep changing our minds on what to do, our current house has some incredible perks but it also has it's quirks that make it unsuitable now we are soon to have a 2nd child. I vowed i'd never move again as I hate it but can't see another option really.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

In a real dilemma, remortgage and do £20-30k worth of improvements to our house but essentially still have certain problems with whether the house is ideal for us long term or sell and buy another house and likely increase our mortgage by £75-100k in the process. Keep changing our minds on what to do, our current house has some incredible perks but it also has it's quirks that make it unsuitable now we are soon to have a 2nd child. I vowed i'd never move again as I hate it but can't see another option really.

Probably sounds obvious and you may have already done it, but do lists, pros and cons. Then rank them, if you were buying a house tomorrow, what would number 1 be?

1. Driveway

2. Large garden

etc.

With another kid on the way too, how long will the work take? Nothing worse than living in a building site, so may just be easier to move, but then will the new place require work?

• Like 1

I’m in a dilemma but the opposite way really. I own a great house but with Covid and the uncertainty around jobs I’m tempted to sell and downsize however when I look at smaller houses it’s apparent how much I like mine and could regret it if things go back to normal.

This thing really has ruined people’s plans, I had a really clear plan of clearing part of the mortgage etc but now I darent do that incase I need savings at the drop of a hat and house price wise I’m worried that if I do need to sell in 6 months the prices might plummet.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Probably sounds obvious and you may have already done it, but do lists, pros and cons. Then rank them, if you were buying a house tomorrow, what would number 1 be?

1. Driveway

2. Large garden

etc.

With another kid on the way too, how long will the work take? Nothing worse than living in a building site, so may just be easier to move, but then will the new place require work?

A good idea, we've sort of done this already and it's a close run thing.

Essentially we live in a mid 3 bed terrace with 1 room being quite small but there being a huge attic room that I currently use as a full time office. It's really tricky to get up and down it though, I've fallen down the stairs twice and my 4 years old son has as well. Spiral staircases are loads of dough and not really worth it. Also there's heating and air con issues that will cost a bit. What does go in the properties favour though is, we have a decent sized basement and an outhouse that has a toilet and shower in it, it could essentially be classed as a annex. However I've been quoted around £12k to modernise it which it badly needs as again it suffers from insulation problems and is unhabitable as a bedroom or an office right now. Our kitchen is beyond words and the reason we bought the house, it has a vaulted roof and was custom built by the previous owner who was a carpenter. The back garden is very large too and essential we have something similar. Parking is crap as we don't have a drive but we do have a work shop that is further storage for various stuff. We also bought at the right time 6 years ago and paid only £130k. We'd get about £210k for it now but the properties we'd need to even replicate ours, let alone improve on it in our area are at least £275-300k and then you add in any cosmetic work that invariably has to be done to suit. The missus and I have spent years making 2 gardens (our back garden is split in to two parts due to the outhouse in the middle) and it's our greatest achievement, probably saved ourselves £10-15k in doing it ourselves minimum.

There's just so much still to be done to make it ideal, if it can ever be ideal for us. We'd loathe to move though but think it's the only real answer that makes sense. Sticking20-30k in to this property won't equal an increase in value of the same amount either, it's probably at it's ceiling.

29 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Did you get a full building survey or just a homebuyers?

Edited by z-layrex

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Just the homebuyers.  X

I am annoyed the surveyor didn't push for a full level 3 survey on a property that old. I doubt you would have much legal recourse, but it is definitely worth asking your solicitor to have a look.

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

I am annoyed the surveyor didn't push for a full level 3 survey on a property that old. I doubt you would have much legal recourse, but it is definitely worth asking your solicitor to have a look.

I was hoping it might be possible to claim given that the value and mortgage is based upon this report and, because of their carelessness, we paid more than the value of the house and thus, the value has dropped based upon them missing it?

55 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Your TV is bigger than your Sofa!!

It's technically also taller than my wife! lol.  ironically she wanted to go for a bigger TV when we were in Currys.  I decided against it and SOOOOO glad we didn't get the 75 inch version! it would of covered nearly the whole wall!

On 16/07/2020 at 12:12, Footballwipe said:

On 16/07/2020 at 12:49, FoyleFox said:

It's only the interior magazine standard decoration and furnishing making it impressive though. Remove all the dressing and it isn't remarkable but that's what will bring people through the door.

That's a stunning interior. I need someone to do similar to mine!

Garden is almost non existent and Thorpe Astley is 'posh Braunstone' (only kidding) but that'll get snapped up quickly.

On 16/07/2020 at 14:48, FoyleFox said:

Be £250k in NI. You get a lot more for your money than that where I am. Found this beauty today.

https://www.propertypal.com/78-shinny-road-macosquin-coleraine/579857

That's a lot of house for the money, wow.

37 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That's a stunning interior. I need someone to do similar to mine!

Garden is almost non existent and Thorpe Astley is 'posh Braunstone' (only kidding) but that'll get snapped up quickly.

That's a lot of house for the money, wow.

Oi! It's actually posh Braunstone TOWN, not the City Council side, I'll have you know.

Someone else actually pointed the garden out to me. I didn't even notice how non-existant it was because it's so low-maintenance it's genuinely my ideal type of garden, but I can imagine it puts some green fingered people and families off!

Like a dork I'm going to track it and see how much it ends up going for. I know the location of Posh Brauny might suppress it a bit, but I'm amazed it went on for so low at £325k. Rightmove reckons it hasn't been sold since it was bought new for £79,700 back in 1998, so even with a lorryload of expensive work being done to it they're making a whacking great profit!