Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Cheers, at the minute it’s not very likely. He’s taken a 20% pay cut and that was to mitigate the need to mass redundancies but should a second wave hit I recon it would be absolutely carnage for the economy.

Can you both afford to live where you are without his salary, comfortably? I get the feeling that you like where you are, and that you've cut back already since your car has gone? If you are both happy there and can live with just your salary happily then my vote would be for you to stick it out 😊 

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Can you both afford to live where you are without his salary, comfortably? I get the feeling that you like where you are, and that you've cut back already since your car has gone? If you are both happy there and can live with just your salary happily then my vote would be for you to stick it out 😊 

Bloody hell, I really do say too much on here don’t I lol.

If he has no income at all no chance, our bills at the minute are a bit more than my salary.

20 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks, my other half is an airline pilot and in the current climate there is absolutely no chance of another job in that and anything else would be a probably 80% pay cut. 

I’ve got enough cash to last a while should that happen but in reality I wouldn’t be happy wasting it on just paying the bills.

If you aren't wasting it on bills you'll be wasting it on rent.

Get cutting down on your bills, get rid of everything you don't need for 12-18 months. Don't go booking any holidays either, unless they're free with the pilots benefits package:whistle:

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bloody hell, I really do say too much on here don’t I lol.

If he has no income at all no chance, our bills at the minute are a bit more than my salary.

No more than the rest of us lol

Lose the gym and the alcohol? Would that do it? Or do what we're planning to do if my other half (hopefully!) gets made redundant, and sack it all off to move to Spain and get old and leathery together lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If you aren't wasting it on bills you'll be wasting it on rent.

Get cutting down on your bills, get rid of everything you don't need for 12-18 months. Don't go booking any holidays either, unless they're free with the pilots benefits package:whistle:

Grim, I’d rather sell the house and blow it all lol 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Made an offer on a house earlier, was told it was matched by someone else, raised it slightly, now been told it's been matched again by someone else (not the same person as the first offer) and the estate agent wants final offers. Raised it ever so slighty and said that's it for me I'm done, if the other party wants to pay more than that then let them have it.

That is if there is another party and it's not just a trick to get me to pay slightly more:ph34r:

This happened twice to us. 

Both times I thought the estate agent was telling fibs to get us to pay more, both times I was wrong. There was someone else and they beat us. 

What I have learnt through missing out on two houses is that we learnt is that you won't be OVER bothered by paying £2-3k more if you get what you want. Yes you don't want to pay ridiculously over the odds and in an ideal world you'll make a nice profit and everything is hunky dory, but if it's a house you like and you want it then you need to go for it. 

We missed out on two we liked because we weren't brave/aggressive enough and we lacked confidence in our finances. As it turns out now, given what we have had an offer accepted on, we are so happy that what happened to us happened. 

But if you've got the finances and it's what you want, then make it yours. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

This happened twice to us. 

Both times I thought the estate agent was telling fibs to get us to pay more, both times I was wrong. There was someone else and they beat us. 

What I have learnt through missing out on two houses is that we learnt is that you won't be OVER bothered by paying £2-3k more if you get what you want. Yes you don't want to pay ridiculously over the odds and in an ideal world you'll make a nice profit and everything is hunky dory, but if it's a house you like and you want it then you need to go for it. 

We missed out on two we liked because we weren't brave/aggressive enough and we lacked confidence in our finances. As it turns out now, given what we have had an offer accepted on, we are so happy that what happened to us happened. 

But if you've got the finances and it's what you want, then make it yours. 

Been sat on my mind all night mate, it's *only* a grand or two extra, which seems nothing, but then you don't want to go higher out of principal. I'm sitting here thinking maybe I should ring the EA tomorrow morning and offer a grand or two more lol

EDIT: Just to add, 3k more will be full asking price for the property. I'm a FTB, but the EA told me the other people bidding are also FTBs.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Been sat on my mind all night mate, it's *only* a grand or two extra, which seems nothing, but then you don't want to go higher out of principal. I'm sitting here thinking maybe I should ring the EA tomorrow morning and offer a grand or two more lol

EDIT: Just to add, 3k more will be full asking price for the property. I'm a FTB, but the EA told me the other people bidding are also FTBs.

All right Charlie Nicholas lol

Seriously, in the grand scheme of things mate it's just another couple of months mortgage payment I guess. If you're planning on being there for years, it pails into insignificance really.

Once you're settled in and happy, you'll forget the fact you paid an extra few grand in my experience. I understand not wanting to go higher out of principle but it's obviously a popular property and if you've fell in love with it, you could regret being a tight arse :D

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Don’t take everything the estate agents says at face value.

Take emotions out of it, set a value you are happy with and try and get for less but do not go any higher. If it goes, it goes. There’s loads of other houses but don’t get stuck in a bidding war, especially a fictitious one.

26 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I completely get that, I've been there myself. The thing I ended up thinking was you're not even paying it now, you've got your deposit which is the bit you're paying "now" and the extra 2/3k like Izzy says is just a few mortgage payments down the line. 

Yes you don't want to be ripped off, but if you can see yourself there for even 5 years it won't matter. Obviously the longer the term the better. 

I kept thinking the fact I'm a FTB would have a huge sway for me, in reality all we kept finding was that we were constantly up against other FTBs because of our price bracket. Yes it has its advantages, but we didn't actually come up against another person that had a house to sell. Perhaps we were unlucky, but I can't see that being the case. 

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Same here mate, life is for living to a point. I literally use holidays as motivation to get up in the morning most days.

You must have fvcking bed sores after the year we’ve all had then!!!

33 minutes ago, stix said:

You must have fvcking bed sores after the year we’ve all had then!!!

Tell me about it, I console myself with the idea (so long as business doesn’t fall of the edge of a cliff) that I’ll book a big one in 21 as it’s my 40th. 
Somewhere I’ve not been that I always wanted too.

I’ve got 2 weeks booked in south France early July, as we moved this years rather than cancel but I’ve gone off that now. 
I want to go to the Maldives.

Edited by Strokes

Decided to stick to my guns, sticking with my latest offer (3k below asking price). Worst case scenario I'll be staying at home waiting for the right house to come up banking more cash (I bank 1% of my property value every month). Give it 6-7 years and I'll almost be able to pay it off in full with cashlol

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I work in Leicester, but a few years ago I had the opportunity to move to the Stockport office. I couldn't believe the difference in the house prices, and I was looking in the Peak District with a bit of a commute! The move didn't come off, but I probably would have been much better off if it had. 

British Gas?

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Where would you go travelling if you did? 

All over mate. I got massively obsessed with the program Race Across The World so something like that would be the dream. First series they had to travel, without flying, from London to Singapore and the second series they had to do one end of South America to the other. Both would be incredible. You?

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

All over mate. I got massively obsessed with the program Race Across The World so something like that would be the dream. First series they had to travel, without flying, from London to Singapore and the second series they had to do one end of South America to the other. Both would be incredible. You?

Canada is the end game for me. I’ve got kids so travelling is off the table at the moment but I’ve always been obsessed with Canada.

I just like the idea of very few people for as far as you can think and me and a dog on an exploration. I’d probably have to break up with the wife to do it, as she is a miserable fukker when she is cold.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

South America would be great, but I think I’d get sick of the language barrier (I know it’s my ignorance). Fair play though, I hope it works out.

47 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Same here mate, life is for living to a point. I literally use holidays as motivation to get up in the morning most days.

10 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Agreed mate, It’s the dream to just sell up and go travelling at some point.

I sit here feeling depressed if I haven't got anything booked up. Got a stag in August next year, but that's ****ing ages away:sleep:

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I sit here feeling depressed if I haven't got anything booked up. Got a stag in August next year, but that's ****ing ages away:sleep:

Same mate, saved all my annual leave for the champions league matches didn’t I.....

• Haha 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yeah I need something in the horizon or I just lose all get up and go, I’ve not struggled recently because lockdown focussed my head but I’m beginning to feel a drop in motivation now.