Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

13 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Harsh...but fair. Bought my first house at 19 which is now many, many years ago :(

19 haha, wonder how many 19 years olds in the uk own a house now (non inherited).

Fair play though.

Edited by Nalis

3 minutes ago, Langley said:

the surveyors I Introduce my clients to do. 

I can assure you of that! 

I wouldn't let any form of Surveyor that I don't have a contract with enter my home then carry out intrusive testing to it. I am highly qualified in my field but I am not capable of damaging a home then making good all surfaces and finishes.

Furthermore (at my healthy hourly rate) it would not be feasible for anyone to pay me to do it.

If you have Surveyors or Engineers prepared to do that type of work then you have done well but they won't be making a mess in my home any time soon!

24 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Bought my first house at 19 which is now many, many years ago :(

11 minutes ago, Nalis said:

19 haha, wonder how many 19 years olds in the uk own a house now (non inherited).

They were very different times back in the day.

I was 19 when I bought my first house in Whetstone.

Brand new 3-bed place with garage and garden, middle one of three, bottom of a quiet, tree-lined cul de sac - cost £45k !!

Was earning about £11-12k a year at Radio Leicester and got a mortgage for £42,500.

Best financial decision I ever made, even though I didn't realise at the time.

In fact I didn't realise for over a decade when I looked at selling and prices had gone up hugely.

Was very, very lucky to make that call when I did.

Tough times for the young 'uns of today of course.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brand new 3-bed place with garage and garden, middle one of three, bottom of a quiet, tree-lined cul de sac - cost £45k !!

Was earning about £11-12k a year at Radio Leicester and got a mortgage for £42,500.

In fact I didn't realise for over a decade when I looked at selling and prices had gone up hugely.

Bought my first house at the age of 23 for £27,500 😊 At the time it was cheaper than renting, and less than twice my salary! 

• Like 1

Mine was at 23 - a detached house just outside Brighton for £68k. 

Weirdly, I remember not knowing what a mortgage was during the buying process! There was no Google to look it up and I was a bit too embarrassed to ask anyone lol

Isn't it odd that you can leave school knowing Pi to eight decimal points, be able to name the main players in the Wars of the Roses, and describe the various climatic regions of the Sahara but not anything about mortgages (or money management in general)?    

It wasn't all rosy, as I recall, interest rates were about 12%. 

Best investment was a 3 bed flat in Wimbledon that I never actually lived in. Bought it with every intention of moving in and for some reason decided to try and rent it instead - sold it 2 years later for a mad profit which allowed an accelerated upward move. Very lucky, I know.

Can't see my kids having it quite so easy, unfortunately*

*But the little buggers aren't staying here forever, so they'd better think of something   

Edited by Milo

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Oh yeah absolutely agree  and know that on the houses back then, I still just get disbelief when I see it now and again even though I know. Bit like the disbelief of when I flashback to us winning the league!

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

Lending is the issue these days with house prices so much higher but 3 x salary was the cap then. We had 95% mortgages as standard, which was a massive help but the interest rates were the killer in those days, one minute they were 5 or 8 % then the next it was 12 or 14%. Although mortgages were smaller for us FTB's, my house was only £36,500 but with an income of around £11/12k it was still a lot of money. I'd saved extra to the deposit so was able to buy a 2 bed cottage with garden and garage, most of my friends bought 2 bed mid terrace with no parking as they were about £32k.

My mum always tells the story of buying her house with her then partner in 1979 for £14,500. She still lives in it to this day, and spent decades paying off the mortgage on it, going through all those interest rate rises to 11% etc.

Look through the "house prices" on Rightmove of historical transactions and the ones from the 1990's are just incredible. On my long walks I like to go down Forest House Lane in LFE, and when you nose at those sold prices from the late 90's, and then see what they're on the market for now, people are sitting on easy £400k profit from their investment 21 years ago. What a nest-egg.

That's just the big houses. If you had the money to plunder into property in the 1990's, then your retirement fund is coming home to roost now!

Current nightmare as the house we're buying is only six months old, so wasn't registered with Land Registry due to covid/furlough hitting. Means nothing can happen document wise on that until it is. Having to be belligerent in chasing the sellers to make sure it's done as quickly as possible by them getting updates from LR, but this hold up could cost a lot of time. GAH

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Current nightmare as the house we're buying is only six months old, so wasn't registered with Land Registry due to covid/furlough hitting. Means nothing can happen document wise on that until it is. Having to be belligerent in chasing the sellers to make sure it's done as quickly as possible by them getting updates from LR, but this hold up could cost a lot of time. GAH

You're lucky they actually noticed. We received a copy of the title documents as part of our re-mortgage and the house didn't exist, just the small shed/outbuilding that previously existed in the field. Lord knows how the Solicitor missed this when we purchased.

Hopefully, your house will exist quickly.

On 24/07/2020 at 12:04, lildave3 said:

It’s only taken 7 months but we may finally be moving next week. Still nothing official though 😅

Other family moved out Wednesday and still no keys so we’ve given up and gone to the pub while we wait. It couldn’t have ended any other way...

5 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

lol it's not so bad to be fair. On the outskirts of Barnsley, i'll tell people it's practically Sheffield, sounds better than Barnsley 😁

Think yourself lucky, I lived in Hull for two years. Cheap as chips and the people were nice enough. Proper shot hole though and I’m sure Barnsley is paradise in comparison :thumbup:

3 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Just had an offer accepted on a lovely little 2 bed semi in Hoyland, Barnsley!

We just need to hurry up and get our house in Syston sold and I'll be an honorary northerner!

You will enjoy all of the balm cakes you can eat.

I’ve known 1 person from Barnsley (think it was Penis Town tbf) and he was that mad as wel as having no real reason for living here that I’m convinced he was in the witness protection scheme or had his identity changed.

Enjoy mate lol 

48 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I think you mean Breadcakes 😉

Hi all, moved to the city recently and would like to share my experience or inexperience so far.

Put in an offer for several different houses over the last few week in various areas, LE2 area but none got accepted and estate agents don't reveal how close I was to the final price. Is this normal? How can I gage the prices of homes that suggest 'in excess of' or 'in region of' etc...

There doesn't seem to be any slowdown in the housing market here especially since I'm on the lower side of house prices and first time buyer myself. Offered around 2% below asking price and about 4% above one one but not having much luck...but not worried as others are saying hold on until the end of the year where the current mini-boom will end and the long term picture of housing will be more clear. Decent houses with very little work are being sold,  often within a week but I don't have the patience to do a house up as a project!

I regularly browse this website  https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/forum/22-house-prices-and-the-economy/ and there seem to be lots of experience guys and they're saying to hold on so unsure at the moment but if the right house comes up, will always put an offer in but seems like somebody else gets there!

Let's see, thanks in advance!

Anyone in here purchased a property using the Help2Buy ISA? Apparently you can't use the bonus towards the deposit? Very disappointing if true and seems pretty bloody pointless saving in one if true?

What happens to the bonus? Does it get paid to you in cash or something after completion? Just spend an hour on the phone to Halifax before being transferred and cut off, so can't be arsed to ring them again.