Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Boro Post match 0-0

Just now, Col city fan said:

The point I'm making about Mahrez, which AGAIN been conveniently side stepped is that he is playing around team mates who are miles off his ability.

The best players in the world play in teams where the ability of those around them contributes to their greatness.

Ronaldo plays alongside Bale, Modric, James, Isco.

Messi plays in the same teams as Suarez, Neymar and Busquets.

Ibra is underpinned at Utd by Pogba.

Etc.

I believe Mahrez is an exceptional footballer. Today, he was playing in a completely defensively minded set up, alongside King, Amartey and Mendy. The only plus points of the first half were when Mahrez neatly side stepped a couple of challenges, made a forward run and literally had no one to give it to.

When he played alongside Kante, he had that player. The player with pace and ability to see what he was up to, and to give and go.

What do people expect? That he will beat five players and score from the edge of the area every week?

The only time that Mahrez has looked world class this season has actually been when our midfield has been bypassed. Against Man City, two long balls given to him, to control and to lay in Vardy. Today, he had no help. There was no one on his wavelength to give the ball to.

I almost hope he does leave us in the summer. I'll be gutted for the club, but pleased for the player. I think he'd be a part of most top teams and will once again look like the star player he clearly is. 

Playing in this team, with how we set up today must be pretty soul destroying I'd imagine. 

Except that's nowhere near what you said, you said you couldn't understand why people were criticising him and praising mendy and Amartey, it's simple, good as Mahrez is, he was ineffectual today. That doesn't mean we think he's rubbish or shouldn't be playing, just that he didn't hit his standards today at all.

i expect him to at least not run into blind cul de sacs and over play what he gets. Couple of times he got the ball today and took a few too many touches, closed his angles in a way he wouldn't have last year.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Whilst, at the same time, stating I'd picked on him!

lol

Christ on a bike....I don't bother with re quoting old posts, I'll leave that to the experts, but as I said, make your mind up!

You are world class, Col, WORLD CLASS at totally sidestepping legitimate criticism. 

World class is better than 'adequate', by the way...

20 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You're opinion of 'brilliant' differs to mine!

lol

And yes, the player I was watching was one of the worst midfielders I'd seen at the club in many a year. That don't mean I'd written him off!

To go from one of the worst to being any good would take some doing.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Except that's nowhere near what you said, you said you couldn't understand why people were criticising him and praising mendy and Amartey, it's simple, good as Mahrez is, he was ineffectual today. That doesn't mean we think he's rubbish or shouldn't be playing, just that he didn't hit his standards today at all.

i expect him to at least not run into blind cul de sacs and over play what he gets. Couple of times he got the ball today and took a few too many touches, closed his angles in a way he wouldn't have last year.

And why did he take too many touches? He had no one to give it to.

Similar pattern all season.

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

You are world class, Col, WORLD CLASS at totally sidestepping legitimate criticism. 

World class is better than 'adequate', by the way...

lol

Theres plenty many more on here more than capable of spinning a yarn mi old.

Whilst, at the same time, stating I'd picked on him!

lol

Christ on a bike....I don't bother with re quoting old posts, I'll leave that to the experts, but as I said, make your mind up!

You do, most weeks. I've already pointed out that you throw in the odd praise, then return to calling him one of the worst CM's to ever play for us and trying to make him solely responsible for everything wrong the next.

You've also gone on a mission about Mahrez and critisised people for saying he didn't play well whilst Amartey did... yet did exactly the same thing a previous game.

And why did he take too many touches? He had no one to give it to.

Similar pattern all season.

I'm talking in the box, first half where he could have taken a shot and let the defenders make a recovery. Where he was merciless last season he was ponderous today.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I'm talking in the box, first half where he could have taken a shot and let the defenders make a recovery. Where he was merciless last season he was ponderous today.

First time I've agreed with you all day. Should have pulled the trigger, didn't, waited, was tackled. Last season, he'd have scored. Can't argue with that.

Still just about the only player to have such a chance though wasn't he?

I didn't see anyone else busting a gut to even have the opportunity.

First time I've agreed with you all day. Should have pulled the trigger, didn't, waited, was tackled. Last season, he'd have scored. Can't argue with that.

Still just about the only player to have such a chance though wasn't he?

He may have got into the position and wasted it, but that was all his involvement today. Possibly the best player I've seen in a Leicester shirt, but he existed almost entirely on the periphery of the game today, that's why people are being critical.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

He may have got into the position and wasted it, but that was all his involvement today. Possibly the best player I've seen in a Leicester shirt, but he existed almost entirely on the periphery of the game today, that's why people are being critical.

Mahrez is an exceptional footballer playing in a midfield that can't create shite.

All I'm saying is look at the bigger picture and ask why last season's player of the year is putting in lacklustre performances. 

Two reasons for me...oppositions gang up on him. And no one is on his wavelength.

For the final time, get him in the current Arsenal or Liverpool side and you'd see what I mean.

2 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

Many in this forum seem to suffer from dementia.

Exactly one year ago, we played at home against Bournemouth.

We were on second place at that time. Bournemouth on 16th.

The result was 0:0. The game was as awful as today's match.

Two weeks later we played at Villa Park.

We were still on second place. Villa was at the very bottom of the

table.

The result was 1:1. The game was...well, awful.

Already forgotten?

The Bournemouth comparison is nonsensical to say the least.

In that game we missed a penalty and Vardy hit the post from 4 yards. We spent the whole second half taking the game to Bournemouth. We tried to win.

Today we didn't create a single chance of note. We barely left our half in the second period.

0-0 is a respectable result in isolation but today was just the latest chapter in a gradual trudge towards reactionary football in which we've become a parody of the defensive anti-football team many of our critics had us down as last season.

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

Great players are great because they are great, they don't rely on other people's greatness to make them great.

Exactly. Great players win you game. Ronaldo, Messi, Imbrahimovic, Alexis Sanchez etc will win you a game from absolutely nothing, not rely on other players to create it for them. You want a player who needs others to give him a chance to win you the game you sign Christian Benteke.

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

The Bournemouth comparison is nonsensical to say the least.

In that game we missed a penalty and Vardy hit the post from 4 yards. We spent the whole second half taking the game to Bournemouth. We tried to win.

Today we didn't create a single chance of note. We barely left our half in the second period.

0-0 is a respectable result in isolation but today was just the latest chapter in a gradual trudge towards reactionary football in which we've become a parody of the defensive anti-football team many of our critics had us down as last season.

Loving your final paragraph.

I think you are bright, once more.

Damn, I'm being hypocritical!

lol

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The point I'm making about Mahrez, which AGAIN been conveniently side stepped is that he is playing around team mates who are miles off his ability.

The best players in the world play in teams where the ability of those around them contributes to their greatness.

Ronaldo plays alongside Bale, Modric, James, Isco.

Messi plays in the same teams as Suarez, Neymar and Busquets.

Ibra is underpinned at Utd by Pogba.

Etc.

I believe Mahrez is an exceptional footballer. Today, he was playing in a completely defensively minded set up, alongside King, Amartey and Mendy. The only plus points of the first half were when Mahrez neatly side stepped a couple of challenges, made a forward run and literally had no one to give it to.

When he played alongside Kante, he had that player. The player with pace and ability to see what he was up to, and to give and go.

What do people expect? That he will beat five players and score from the edge of the area every week?

The only time that Mahrez has looked world class this season has actually been when our midfield has been bypassed. Against Man City, two long balls given to him, to control and to lay in Vardy. Today, he had no help. There was no one on his wavelength to give the ball to.

I almost hope he does leave us in the summer. I'll be gutted for the club, but pleased for the player. I think he'd be a part of most top teams and will once again look like the star player he clearly is. 

Playing in this team, with how we set up today must be pretty soul destroying I'd imagine. 

Apart from not hoping he leaves in the summer, I wouldn't argue with any of that. 

Like I've stated previously, if we were to completely rebuild this team to consistently

challenge at the top, and money was no object, then Mahrez would be one of 4 players

in the current side I would keep.

Rubbish. Put Messi into Accrington Stanley's first eleven and see if he gets 50 goals a season. 

lol

Against the standard of league two defenders? Definitely, he can take top sides apart on his own. Don't agree other people's saying Mahrez isn't a great player, but at the moment he's not doing the best with what he gets to start with.

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Exactly. Great players win you game. Ronaldo, Messi, Imbrahimovic, Alexis Sanchez etc will win you a game from absolutely nothing, not rely on other players to create it for them. You want a player who needs others to give him a chance to win you the game you sign Christian Benteke.

lol

Dont you think it might help a bit playing alongside other top quality players?

Or do they do it every week on their own. With this, I'm out for tonight. I can't take it any longer!

Mahrez is not the problem in this team! He can't do it on his own?

Rubbish. Put Messi into Accrington Stanley's first eleven and see if he gets 50 goals a season. 

lol

He may do in that division haha. I also agree that it certainly wouldn't harm having all the Barcelona players round. However, if it was Messi or Ronaldo playing in our current team, I think they'd contribute more to our performance than Marhez as he's more Accrington Stanley quality himself when compared to those two real greats. There again most players are. I've never heard of Messi or Ronaldo though going for so many games looking as disinterested or continually being late for training. Players like Ronaldo in particular are there early for training and leave even later when the rest have gone home. Ronaldo's greatness is not all luck or a gift he was born with, he's worked and continues to work hard to be great. Compared with these, Marhez is a footballing pygmy and will remain so unless he changes his attitude Imo. 

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

No, you're being an arse.

I thought you of all people would appreciate the praise of an excellently constructed and articulate paragraph amidst a world of grammatical paucity.

Im shocked!

Ttfn is a super word-smith and always has been!

lol

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I thought you of all people would appreciate the praise of an excellently constructed and articulate paragraph amidst a world of grammatical paucity.

Im shocked!

Ttfn is a super word-smith and always has been!

lol

You're just being rather blind to yourself, proven by your many deflections.

Archived