Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Boro Post match 0-0

Any point away from home is a good point. Yes, the performance wasn't the best, but that was to be expected.

We're 3 points away from 9th, if Bournemouth don't pick up anything tomorrow against Arsenal. And though it may be prove to be too much, 9 points away from 7th which could provide a Europa League spot.

37 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Well you obviously were not at the KP versus West Ham as with Drinky they did create and his role is to do as you say....destroy and break up the game. Granted he is no Ngolo but he was signed to be a powerful DM or CH .....time will tell.

i agree our midfield should have been strengthened pre season but we could also have signed a better right back, creative number 10,  alternative to Vardy, quicker/footballing centre half etc.....but Daniel Amartey is not the issue .....plenty asking for a  3 man midfield which swap Drinky for King would give us more balance.

if you watch today's game back you will see Amartey wins more tackles and headers than anyone.

personally I was more disappointed with Okazaki, Mahrez and Ulloa whilst a Gray and Musa did little when they came on.

its all about opinions but DA is going to be a good player imo and midfields need combinations. 

I agree with your view of the front three. They were terrible. No service second half admittedly, but there were a good few opportunities in the first where a simple pass was needed but the carrier decided to dribble, and so the opportunity missed. 

Dont get me wrong Amartey may improve, and he has had decent games, even good games, but as a fan of LCFC that's not my main concern - helping HIM as an individual to improve is not the bigger picture.

The team is 'carrying'certain players who are not performing at their best and in other cases such as AM we are paying the price as a team for his lack of quality on the ball. 

This season, of all seasons we are in the business of winning matches, not giving players experience at the expense of results and the club as a whole. 

At the moment he and others are not doing enough to move the club on....which I accept is not necessarily his fault. 

Just now, brucey said:

CL games have directly and indirectly affected our league form loads.

- Early substitutions and squad rotation in PL due to midweek CL games

- Players' minds distracted

- Drinky getting overworked and making mistakes

- Kasper busting his hand at Copenhagen, out for few weeks

- Drinky busting his knee at Porto, out for few weeks

17th is fine. Europe appears unachievable, and I think the title win will still make us more attractive to transfer targets than other 7th-17th teams for the next few years, .

Exactly!....I remember it was shocking when Kante was out for a game injured last season and the players even got an extra weeks holiday.

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Still don't agree.

With Cambiasso an ever present, as with Amartey an almost ever present, we are flirting with relegation both times.

The great escape was almost as amazing as last season. With Cambiasso nearly constantly in the side, we were bottom of the table for months. That's the reality.

Something clicked, they ALL got better and we stayed up.

This season, we are where we are not because of luck or chance. But because we cannot control enough games.

Kante (having a great midfielder) made pretty much all the difference. Last season, we scored lots and conceded few.

This season, we concede too many and don't score enough.

This team either needs to consistently play an additional midfielder (like I've said) or sign a genuine quality midfielder (like I've said) and play 442.

I don't expect you to understand this. You were one of the ones who always overlooked the weakness in the team that playing Cambiasso in a 442 gave.

And you've doing the same with Amartey.

I think it's you who can't admit they were wrong.

Pretty harsh to place the blame for this season's relegation battle at the feet of Amartey. I thought he was our best player today. Him and Mendy stopped us getting over-run.

Mahrez was the problem today. it's hard to acknowledge because he's such a brilliant player. But his status as an 'undroppable' means that he is now getting shoe-horned into the team regardless of what tactics we choose to play.

Today, can anybody clearly say what system the "front three" were supposed to be playing?  Mahrez, despite some brilliant touches didn't really contribute, and we can't expect him to just pick up the ball and run from the half way line every time. There was very little link-up play or discernable tactics between the front three Mahrez and Okasaki seemed to just get in each others' way. Whilst they were on the pitch it actually felt like we were a man short as they were both doing the same role. I think this is why we ended up defending pretty much for the entire game.

Contrast the way that Boro used Traore down the right. Boro had a clear tactjc to get the ball to him as much as possible, and Fabio had a clear brief to support him getting forward. By contrast, our front three were all over the place. If Traore was as half as good as Mahrez, he would have slaughtered us.

9 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Any point away from home is a good point. Yes, the performance wasn't the best, but that was to be expected.

We're 3 points away from 9th, if Bournemouth don't pick up anything tomorrow against Arsenal. And though it may be prove to be too much, 9 points away from 7th which could provide a Europa League spot.

Steady on

were not generally speaking positive on this forum lol

4 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Pretty harsh to place the blame for this season's relegation battle at the feet of Amartey. I thought he was our best player today. Him and Mendy stopped us getting over-run.

Mahrez was the problem today. it's hard to acknowledge because he's such a brilliant player. But his status as an 'undroppable' means that he is now getting shoe-horned into the team regardless of what tactics we choose to play.

Today, can anybody clearly say what system the "front three" were supposed to be playing?  Mahrez, despite some brilliant touches didn't really contribute, and we can't expect him to just pick up the ball and run from the half way line every time. There was very little link-up play or discernable tactics between the front three Mahrez and Okasaki seemed to just get in each others' way. Whilst they were on the pitch it actually felt like we were a man short as they were both doing the same role. I think this is why we ended up defending pretty much for the entire game.

Contrast the way that Boro used Traore down the right. Boro had a clear tactjc to get the ball to him as much as possible, and Fabio had a clear brief to support him getting forward. By contrast, our front three were all over the place. If Traore was as half as good as Mahrez, he would have slaughtered us.

Mahrez wasn't the problem. He isn't the problem. He was the ONLY player who looked like he was going to do anything without the ball. Literally anything with it.

I suspect Mahrez must be utterly dejected that he makes his little mazy runs, his give and go's to get nothing back whatsoever.

Mahrez would continue to look exceptional in a side that played good football.

If he was playing for Arsenal this season, he'd perform a bit of wizardry, and get the ball back in a dangerous position. He must be dejected that he's giving the ball to players massively below him, in terms of ability.

He'll be gone in the summer I suspect.

Just now, Col city fan said:

Mahrez wasn't the problem. He isn't the problem. He was the ONLY player who looked like he was going to do anything without the ball. Literally anything with it.

I suspect Mahrez must be utterly dejected that he makes his little mazy runs, his give and go's to get nothing back whatsoever.

If he was playing for Arsenal this season, he'd perform a bit of wizardry, and get the ball back in a dangerous position. He must be dejected that he's giving the ball to players massively below him, in terms of ability.

But he's not playing for Arsenal! Yes I think he'll be gone in the Summer and to be honest it will probably be the best for everybody.

And yes, it must be frustrating for him that he's playing with players who don't have his level of skill. But if he's going to play for LCFC he needs to accept that he's got Okasaki and Ulloa as team mates, not Ozil and Sanchez.

Reality check needed I think. We are not Arsenal.

We were very narrow in our play today - with 3 central midfielders and Mahrez allowed a free role we were overrun in wide areas.  We were only good out wide from the 81st minute onwards, i.e. when Grey and Albrighton were on. The midfield were too lightweight and did not dominate the game.  I thought Amartey played quite well but Mendy is still getting to grips with the Premier League.  

Overall I think getting 4 points in the last 2 games is fine, especially as there was less than 48 hours between these games so I'm not surprised our display was a bit flat.

Finally... Mahrez. We're expecting him to do too much I think. He is having the same problem this season as Hazard was having last season.  He's being expected to track back and defend, which means he is less able and less effective in attacking phases.  Sorry to mention K*nte but his presence in the team released Mahrez from defensive duties.  Hopefully Ndidi can do the same.

54 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Last season, we scored lots and conceded few.

The astonishing thing is, that, at this point of the season, we have as many

clean sheets as last season: 5

Our main problem is up front.

Btw: Boro have, so far, conceded as many goals as ManCity, and

one less than Liverpool. Not too bad.

I think referencing last season, whilst understandable, is utterly futile. Next season will be far better I think, and with the benefit of hindsight, what is happening this season is not very surprising. And no, not just because the summer transfers were poor.

12 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

The astonishing thing is, that, at this point of the season, we have as many

clean sheets as last season: 5

Our main problem is up front.

Btw: Boro have, so far, conceded as many goals as ManCity, and

one less than Liverpool. Not too bad.

We might have as many clean sheets but what about goals conceded?

Of course it's up front. We have such little supply.

59 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Still don't agree.

With Cambiasso an ever present, as with Amartey an almost ever present, we are flirting with relegation both times.

The great escape was almost as amazing as last season. With Cambiasso nearly constantly in the side, we were bottom of the table for months. That's the reality.

Something clicked, they ALL got better and we stayed up.

This season, we are where we are not because of luck or chance. But because we cannot control enough games.

Kante (having a great midfielder) made pretty much all the difference. Last season, we scored lots and conceded few.

This season, we concede too many and don't score enough.

This team either needs to consistently play an additional midfielder (like I've said) or sign a genuine quality midfielder (like I've said) and play 442.

I don't expect you to understand this. You were one of the ones who always overlooked the weakness in the team that playing Cambiasso in a 442 gave.

And you've doing the same with Amartey.

I think it's you who can't admit they were wrong.

Still blaming cambiasso for a newly promoted side struggling (nothing to do with bad luck in a couple of games, naïveté from a lot of players who were crucial last season and some ridiculous tactics from Pearson) lol

You're rewriting history here - you've not just said Amartey needs to play in a three man midfield, you've completely written him off and declared he's useless. You've dismissed excellent performances he's put in, going as far as to fixate on the slightest mistake made in one games. You're completely ignoring the reality of it, he's a young lad, no kante and very inconsistent - as like to look overrun as to put in a great performance, but he's got clear potential, has played brilliantly on occasions and if he continues to develop as he is and can add consistency to his game then we've got a great player on our hands.

your last two sentences are 100% bollocks - I've simply not written him off as just another shit signing after the slightest misstep, you meanwhile peruse a childish and pathetic agenda - hell even after today where he played a role as part of the defence limiting them to 1 good chance (the defensiveness role he's in the side to do), you've completely ignored that, even dismissing it with irrelevant comments about how the team performance wasn't good enough (which from an attacking sense it wasn't) and whinged about how he's crap because he can't shoot (which if we apply consistently means kante must have been bollocks).

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

What have I called wrong? That Amartey can't play much football?

Same assists as Drinkwater, more goals, more key passes, more chances created so so far this season... as a 21 year old rookie... yet he can't play much football?

Your thoughts on Drinkwater and his ineffective forward play seemingly? Or do you only pick on one player?

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think referencing last season, whilst understandable, is utterly futile. Next season will be far better I think, and with the benefit of hindsight, what is happening this season is not very surprising. And no, not just because the summer transfers were poor.

Why do you think next season will be much better matey?

I think we'll lose Mahrez in the summer for a start.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Same assists as Drinkwater, more goals, more key passes, more chances created so so far this season... as a 21 year old rookie... yet he can't play football?

How many goals and assists?

One for each?

What argument are you actually trying to make?

Are you saying he's better than Drinkwater then?

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Same assists as Drinkwater, more goals, more key passes, more chances created so so far this season... as a 21 year old rookie... yet he can't play much football?

Your thoughts on Drinkwater and his ineffective forward play seemingly? Or do you only pick on one player?

This is the other side of it, the midfield hasn't been up to scratch, but is that really amarteys fault ahead of drinkwater, Albrighton and Mahrez not keeping up the level of last season?

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Still blaming cambiasso for a newly promoted side struggling (nothing to do with bad luck in a couple of games, naïveté from a lot of players who were crucial last season and some ridiculous tactics from Pearson) lol

You're rewriting history here - you've not just said Amartey needs to play in a three man midfield, you've completely written him off and declared he's useless. You've dismissed excellent performances he's put in, going as far as to fixate on the slightest mistake made in one games. You're completely ignoring the reality of it, he's a young lad, no kante and very inconsistent - as like to look overrun as to put in a great performance, but he's got clear potential, has played brilliantly on occasions and if he continues to develop as he is and can add consistency to his game then we've got a great player on our hands.

your last two sentences are 100% bollocks - I've simply not written him off as just another shit signing after the slightest misstep, you meanwhile peruse a childish and pathetic agenda - hell even after today where he played a role as part of the defence limiting them to 1 good chance (the defensiveness role he's in the side to do), you've completely ignored that, even dismissing it with irrelevant comments about how the team performance wasn't good enough (which from an attacking sense it wasn't) and whinged about how he's crap because he can't shoot (which if we apply consistently means kante must have been bollocks).

Again..brilliantly? Do you mean he's played 'well'? If so, I agree. But if you mean that, say it.

I said he was our best midfielder today. I also said that don't say much for the rest of them does it.

Ive not written the kid off. I think you simply don't read. I've blamed the club for not signing better. 

We fundamentally differ in our appraisal of the player. I don't think he's very good. You rate him.

Do I give a shite that we disagree over this? No, of course I don't.

You can bang on about potential, age and all the rest of it. It doesn't make me think anything other than our midfield, at this level, is rubbish.

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

One for each?

I'm saying all you ever do is pick on him, this that and the other all his fault. Not seen you commenting the same amount on any other player, despite others not playing well.

Your agenda is tiresome. Would it be nice to have a better option, of course it would. Just like it would be nice to have someone better than Wes or Albrighton etc.

You don't have to consistently point fingers at one player. You try and twist everything to be their fault to suit your view just like you did last week trying to point the finger at him laughably for the Everton goals. 

33 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Agreed, only Leicester player on the pitch who looks capable of doing anything remotely attacking.

And yes he will be gone in the summer 99.999% sure of this.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

One for each?

Amartey is not a goalscoring midfielder ffs, stop treating him like he should be one. 

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm saying all you ever do is pick on him, this that and the other all his fault. Not seen you commenting the same amount on any other player, despite others not playing well.

Your agenda is tiresome. Would it be nice to have a better option, of course it would. Just like it would be nice to have someone better then Wes or Albrighton etc.

You don't have to consistently point fingers at one player. You try and twist everything to be their fault to suit your view just like you did last week trying to point the finger at him laughably for the Everton goals. 

You've not answered the question. Is the assists and goals tally one for each? I think it is. If so, are you saying that's somehow good?

Ive also said that our midfield at this level is rubbish. King has never been a regular Prem starter. Drinkwater is clearly not fit and Mendy looks about the same as Amartey.

There, again..... that's four players I've mentioned in a same sentence.

Stop being so precious. It's clear where the agenda lies.

I find it astonishing that there's so much praise today for Amartey (and for Mendy too) when there's criticism of Mahrez. Literally, the only player we started today who can play any proper football and the only player who could walk into any top level side.

Astonishing. It's almost like the masses are satisfied by utter mediocrity.

i sometimes wonder what game people are watching,drinkwater has not been at his best up to now in fact i will say he has been poor,and fans have been slating amartey for what i think especially the last few games quite good performances,all i can say is its a good thing amartey did not give the ball away at home against boro at 1-1 when we very much in command of the game and boro score

1 minute ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

When was Drinkwater's last good game?

Right now, Amartey is the better option. 

Not because he is a better player, but

because he is in rhythm.

Christ. This post reinforces my belief in my conviction.

You get any good quality CM playing alongside Drinkwater and see how we change as a team. Drinkwater is knackered. He's clearly injured and looks knackered.

Archived