Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Boro Post match 0-0

This is your usual great post mate. I agree with everything you've said. I've also said Amartey needs to be just a DM. He's not bad at breaking opposition play up. In front of him need to be midfielders who can actually play football. I am hoping that a midfield three of Amartey or Mendy, playing behind Drinky and Ndidi, make the difference. Amartey as the stopper. Ndidi and Drinkwater as the playmakers. THAT, I could see.

My concern is we are stacking up the DMs. Mendy is supposed to break up play (he had excellent tackling and interception stats...), and Ndidi is called the octopus because of the way he tackles.

In terms of passing, it's only DD at the moment. With Gray and Mahrez providing creativity and forward momentum.

Musa looked ok, he drove at the defenders, but nothing more than what Schlupp can do. And I'm a big fan of both, but they really only have one dimension.

I've defended Albrighton forever, but he's not looking good at the moment.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

You need to tell @Facecloth

He thinks we're brilliant in the middle.

Why you picking on me? There's a good 10-15 people saying you're talking out your arse.

Oh and find me a quote where I said we were brilliant in the middle.

That was very Italian today wasn't it. Clean Sheet was the focus and we got that, but dang did we look torrid during that 2nd half. Why standing so deep, that when we finally win the ball, we just lose it right away again... So frustrating, but it kind of worked and we got a point. But the days where we can mock Pulis' teams for anti football have finally gone, as we somehow have managed to make Pulis' style look attractive....:)

Did enjoy the battle of the first half and Okazaki were less than an inch away to connect with King´s freekick and give us a goal. Actually thought we even had the better chances so a sneaky win was not that far away.... But did not like the deep defending 2nd half.

Do not understand the Musa hate. He was the only outlet and exciting thing going forward for us at the end. Created about as much as Riyad. Mendy scared me a few times losing important duels, but I think he will come good with more matches; what a shame to have his start at the club ruined by injuries. Simpson and his amazing gift of hitting the ball straight to an opponent was my major gripe this game together with Ranieri's deep defending. Huth was back to man mountain gorgeousness and definitely MotM!

Also a huge shout out for Mr. Madley! That was some nice solid reffing there, even though that nasty Clayton should have had a yellow a lot earlier to stop all his little dirty tricks. 

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You need to tell @Facecloth

He thinks we're brilliant in the middle.

Hes clearly not said that, all he's said is that amartey has been ok - reasonable mid table player, rather than the new Jason Jarrett you're making him out to be (because you seem to be incapable of holding your hands up and admitting you called something wrong).

7 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

My concern is we are stacking up the DMs. Mendy is supposed to break up play (he had excellent tackling and interception stats...), and Ndidi is called the octopus because of the way he tackles.

In terms of passing, it's only DD at the moment. With Gray and Mahrez providing creativity and forward momentum.

Musa looked ok, he drove at the defenders, but nothing more than what Schlupp can do. And I'm a big fan of both, but they really only have one dimension.

I've defended Albrighton forever, but he's not looking good at the moment.

I think Ndidi may be better with the ball. I don't mind a DM as long as they can play a bit too.

He ain't a number 10, for sure, but it looks like he can spray it about a bit. I guess we'll see.

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Hes clearly not said that, all he's said is that amartey has been ok - reasonable mid table player, rather than the new Jason Jarrett you're making him out to be (because you seem to be incapable of holding your hands up and admitting you called something wrong).

What have I called wrong? That Amartey can't play much football?

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

What have I called wrong? That Amartey can't play much football?

On this its your insistence amartey has been useless. He's no Kante, but judge him on his own merits - inconsistent for the first three months, put in some great performances (Swansea, Brugge, burnley) and some shockers, and has been a tidy player for the last 4 or 5 games. He's certainly not as crap as you keep suggesting. And let's not forget you still insist cambiasso was poor as evidence of your refusal to admit you can be wrong...

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Now, if we played any of the top 6 and played with those tactics, then great.

I'm shocked we played like this against a team who struggles to score and are likely to be on the bottom 4.  

The reason why we did so well is that we played a system to win with quick link up play.  That second half had Musa in the right back position and Ullao could may have been at my house party with the lack of people around him for support.

Thus I'm struggling to point fingers at the players, cus they all put a shift in, but tactically had no where to go or play

Exactly, 451 with 10 players behind the ball was a tactic we should have employed against the big guns. Doing this against boro, the joint worse attacking team in the league, was a little embarrassing.

Many in this forum seem to suffer from dementia.

Exactly one year ago, we played at home against Bournemouth.

We were on second place at that time. Bournemouth on 16th.

The result was 0:0. The game was as awful as today's match.

Two weeks later we played at Villa Park.

We were still on second place. Villa was at the very bottom of the

table.

The result was 1:1. The game was...well, awful.

Already forgotten?

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

On this its your insistence amartey has been useless. He's no Kante, but judge him on his own merits - inconsistent for the first three months, put in some great performances (Swansea, Brugge, burnley) and some shockers, and has been a tidy player for the last 4 or 5 games. He's certainly not as crap as you keep suggesting. And let's not forget you still insist cambiasso was poor as evidence of your refusal to admit you can be wrong...

Still don't agree.

With Cambiasso an ever present, as with Amartey an almost ever present, we are flirting with relegation both times.

The great escape was almost as amazing as last season. With Cambiasso nearly constantly in the side, we were bottom of the table for months. That's the reality.

Something clicked, they ALL got better and we stayed up.

This season, we are where we are not because of luck or chance. But because we cannot control enough games.

Kante (having a great midfielder) made pretty much all the difference. Last season, we scored lots and conceded few.

This season, we concede too many and don't score enough.

This team either needs to consistently play an additional midfielder (like I've said) or sign a genuine quality midfielder (like I've said) and play 442.

I don't expect you to understand this. You were one of the ones who always overlooked the weakness in the team that playing Cambiasso in a 442 gave.

And you've doing the same with Amartey.

I think it's you who can't admit they were wrong.

I think that we have gone in to the season prioritising the Champions League as, it may be our only shot at it. 

I think we probably didn't expect to be so far down the league at this stage, and we are having to adapt quickly to ensure that we guarantee our survival.

This is the reason why we were so defensive today at Boro, as losing wasn't an option. 4 points from the last two games have taken a bit of the pressure off for now and two clean sheets will be great for the defences confidence.

I personally don't think we are a long way off my pre-season expectations, in fact I didn't think we'd be in the next round of the CL?

Last year we had less games, other teams were poor, and we were full of confidence. Right now we are in a position where parking the bus away to Boro is the reality of where we are right now.

Boring game, not enough going forward, but i'll take the point away from home the way our away form has been.

Still some positives from the game:

- 2 in 2 cleansheets

- best performance from Huth for a while

- Amartey continues to grow into the strating CM role - at 20, he's only getting better

- Mendy, whilst clearly rusty, showed he's got enough about him that long term he will turn out alright

- 5 changes, vardy suspended and we still fielded a solid enough team

Key negatives for me:

- no width - no point playing leo with no wingers imo

- still not seeing anything from Musa

- Mahrez looked lost in the middle behind the front 2

- No drive forward in midfield without Drinky, and no outlet up top when we won the ball back

21 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

Many in this forum seem to suffer from dementia.

Exactly one year ago, we played at home against Bournemouth.

We were on second place at that time. Bournemouth on 16th.

The result was 0:0. The game was as awful as today's match.

Two weeks later we played at Villa Park.

We were still on second place. Villa was at the very bottom of the

table.

The result was 1:1. The game was...well, awful.

Already forgotten?

Can you remember last season we only lost 3 games we have lost 9 already that is awful.

2 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Can you remember last season we only lost 3 games we have lost 9 already that is awful.

Yes, I can remember. But that doesn't change the fact, that, even when

we were at the top of the table, we managed to play awful football

against teams at the bottom of the table. Even with Kante and Vardy/Mahrez

in best form.

The difference to this season is, that somehow, we got away

with it.

20 minutes ago, bridport007 said:

I think that we have gone in to the season prioritising the Champions League as, it may be our only shot at it. 

I think we probably didn't expect to be so far down the league at this stage, and we are having to adapt quickly to ensure that we guarantee our survival.

This is the reason why we were so defensive today at Boro, as losing wasn't an option. 4 points from the last two games have taken a bit of the pressure off for now and two clean sheets will be great for the defences confidence.

I personally don't think we are a long way off my pre-season expectations, in fact I didn't think we'd be in the next round of the CL?

Last year we had less games, other teams were poor, and we were full of confidence. Right now we are in a position where parking the bus away to Boro is the reality of where we are right now.

CL games have directly and indirectly affected our league form loads.

- Early substitutions and squad rotation in PL due to midweek CL games

- Players' minds distracted

- Drinky getting overworked and making mistakes

- Kasper busting his hand at Copenhagen, out for few weeks

- Drinky busting his knee at Porto, out for few weeks

17th is fine. Europe appears unachievable, and I think the title win will still make us more attractive to transfer targets than other 7th-17th teams for the next few years, .

Like Bournemouth away, we sat back but had the quality going forwards to beat them. Considering our form away from home, I can kind of see why Claudio took this approach. Hopefully keeping a clean sheet will give us the confidence to really take the game to teams away from home.

We know we can score goals, its keeping them out which has been the problem. So two clean sheets on the bounce? Im happy with that and I'm sure Claudio and the squad are too.

Archived