Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Boro Post match 0-0

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Why do you think next season will be much better matey?

I think we'll lose Mahrez in the summer for a start.

Well, I'll sidestep your question about who will be better, because it is about the whole, not individuals. Yes I agree that Mahrez will almost certainly be gone, however (and assuming relegation doesn't happen), I would rather hope a more settled summer with smart buys/sales, the psychological impact/weight of being champions gone, and Ranieri (again assuming he remains) feeling less (understandable) loyalty to the players that took the title, I suspect the players will be less tense, more mentally free, and everyone will have got through this collective funk older and wiser.

I hope this answers you adequately.

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Again..brilliantly? Do you mean he's played 'well'? If so, I agree. But if you mean that, say it.

I said he was our best midfielder today. I also said that don't say much for the rest of them does it.

Ive not written the kid off. I think you simply don't read. I've blamed the club for not signing better. 

We fundamentally differ in our appraisal of the player. I don't think he's very good. You rate him.

Do I give a shite that we disagree over this? No, of course I don't.

You can bang on about potential, age and all the rest of it. It doesn't make me think anything other than our midfield, at this level, is rubbish.

The problem with bullshitting on the internet is that it keeps a record of everything you say. 

And for what it's worth I do mean brilliant - Porto at home, Swansea at home in particular - excellent performances from him

39 minutes ago, car1os said:

We were very narrow in our play today - with 3 central midfielders and Mahrez allowed a free role we were overrun in wide areas.  We were only good out wide from the 81st minute onwards, i.e. when Grey and Albrighton were on. The midfield were too lightweight and did not dominate the game.  I thought Amartey played quite well but Mendy is still getting to grips with the Premier League.  

Overall I think getting 4 points in the last 2 games is fine, especially as there was less than 48 hours between these games so I'm not surprised our display was a bit flat.

Finally... Mahrez. We're expecting him to do too much I think. He is having the same problem this season as Hazard was having last season.  He's being expected to track back and defend, which means he is less able and less effective in attacking phases.  Sorry to mention K*nte but his presence in the team released Mahrez from defensive duties.  Hopefully Ndidi can do the same.

Good post!

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You've not answered the question. Is the assists and goals tally one for each? I think it is. If so, are you saying that's somehow good?

Ive also said that our midfield at this level is rubbish. King has never been a regular Prem starter. Drinkwater is clearly not fit and Mendy looks about the same as Amartey.

There, again..... that's four players I've mentioned in a same sentence.

Stop being so precious. It's clear where the agenda lies.

Perhaps you should learn to read, i clearly pointed out our DM who apparently can't play football has been more effective going forward than DD our supposed more creative and attacking midfielder. I did not say they were somehow great stats, I wouldn't expect them to be from your more defensive player (they are also comparable to Kante last season also). Yet I don't think you've moaned about DD's contribution once this season. Drinkwater has been fit for plenty enough of the season for his stats to count the same as Amartey.

Well done you mentioned four people, we'll all just ignore the other snide comments week in week out. And yes it is clear where the agenda is, that's why you've had so many people calling you out on it again.

Your points have some merit, but the constant point scoring and attempting to point at the finger his direction is ludicrous and reflects badly on you in my opinion. 11 people on the pitch, 7 subs, more people culpable for goals or misses but rarely brought up. Amartey doesn't shoot form 35 yards and it's flagged up, doesn't do a 5 second 50m sprint or hold Morgans hand and he's at fault the other week. It's the same every game.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

The problem with bullshitting on the internet is that it keeps a record of everything you say. 

And for what it's worth I do mean brilliant - Porto at home, Swansea at home in particular - excellent performances from him

That's quite hard to recover from...

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

And now we await him trying to deny what's there in front of everyone. Just like he did over his Hodgson comments. lol 

Just got in. Seems to have been a very busy thread. I can predict exactly how it's gone, it's a huge riot between "it's a point away from home, how can you complain" and "what a shit game, we have regressed".

I consider myself the latter truth be told. It's a decent pair of results but I think our negativity has cost us potentially three today. One of the lowest quality top flight games I've seen, would be sneered at if it was a Championship game.

Disappointed at how little ambition we showed.

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I find it astonishing that there's so much praise today for Amartey (and for Mendy too) when there's criticism of Mahrez. Literally, the only player we started today who can play any proper football and the only player who could walk into any top level side.

Astonishing. It's almost like the masses are satisfied by utter mediocrity.

:facepalm:

Amartey & Mendy did the job they were supposed to do. They got around the pitch, made a few interceptions and kept it simple. Amartey has been bashed time and time again for his positional sense, making mistakes defensively, but in recent games he's improved on that, another clean sheet today with him playing 90 minutes, positive for him, positive for the team all round.

Aren't we allowed to criticise Mahrez? Yet again he was shit today, offered little, very lazy and gave the ball away numerous times, if he was so special he would make an impact in games like today and come up with the match winner, but he didn't, yet again he went missing. On recent form he deserves criticism, so what if he's our best player.

The thing is CR will not care a hoot about anything other than the point and the clean sheet. I expect his priority is to shore up at the back, get the defence tight again and build upon that. If one is willing to see this season in terms of a hangover, then really it is just a bad headache rather than shaking, vomiting and delirium tremens.

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You're opinion of 'brilliant' differs to mine!

lol

And yes, the player I was watching was one of the worst midfielders I'd seen at the club in many a year. That don't mean I'd written him off!

Only today, we've had people saying he'll be another great midfielder for the club. 

You clearly think so. 

I dont. He's ok at what he does. But I can't see a player who will ultimately take control of games. He's ok. Nothing more. 

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Just got in. Seems to have been a very busy thread. I can predict exactly how it's gone, it's a huge riot between "it's a point away from home, how can you complain" and "what a shit game, we have regressed".

I consider myself the latter truth be told. It's a decent pair of results but I think our negativity has cost us potentially three today. One of the lowest quality top flight games I've seen, would be sneered at if it was a Championship game.

Disappointed at how little ambition we showed.

Nah... 95% people telling Col he's got an agenda against Amartey. The other 5% of posts aware it was god awful, but split between I'll take a point and total meltdowners who thought we'd be vying for the title every year.

I came to the conclusion Ranieri isn't the man to take the club forward in the style I'd like a few games back. I think that's not going to change for some time though, we'll just shuffle the cards / players until it improves a bit. Rather than attempting to solve it with tactical changes, which has been my biggest gripe. I did call the struggle in the summer and expected us to come back prepared to have to change style.

We still seem to be searching for a replacement for Kante hoping that changes our fortunes, but I don't think it will. Our attacking threat was being negated, even with his in the team towards the end of last year and I think it will will take a bit more than that to find the attacking edge again.

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I find it astonishing that there's so much praise today for Amartey (and for Mendy too) when there's criticism of Mahrez. Literally, the only player we started today who can play any proper football and the only player who could walk into any top level side.

Astonishing. It's almost like the masses are satisfied by utter mediocrity.

lol - so if Mahrez puts in a bad performance people can't say others played well. Mahrez was well off form today, probably good that he's off to AFCON in actual fact, gives him a chance to play himself back to his level.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

And yes, the player I was watching was one of the worst midfielders I'd seen at the club in many a year. That don't mean I'd written him off!

Based on how many performances was this? Can we presume you've altered this view now, thus rendering your original assessment inaccurate and therefore redundant?

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Based on how many performances was this? Can we presume you've altered this view now, thus rendering your original assessment inaccurate and therefore redundant?

Altered his view!!! lol 

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

Perhaps in future you could just rank by score instead of superlatives. Or just give us a list of in what order your superlatives rank... for instance how far off "brilliant" is "immense"?

Also, tut tut on praising Amartey but being critical of Mahrez.

On 27/08/2016 at 17:30, Col city fan said:

Really enjoyed that game today. It had pretty much everything. Tackles flying in, pissing it down, chances, goals.

Glad Claudio took my advice and played Amartey... :thumbup:he was immense and 'did a Kante', getting his toe in, stopping their attacks and keeping it simple.

Mahrez...if we didn't know who he was and he was making his City debut, we'd have thought wtf! Giving the ball away at will and missing the penno which COULD have had a major impact on the outcome.

We were back on song and played some lovely football. Smashing game.

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

Only today, we've had people saying he'll be another great midfielder for the club. 

You clearly think so. 

I dont. He's ok at what he does. But I can't see a player who will ultimately take control of games. He's ok. Nothing more. 

Maybe so, I consider brilliant to be a synonym of excellent tbf...  

worse than neil danns, dean Hammond, Gary Taylor fletcher, astrit adjarevic, aman verma, Sergio hellings, Danny Tiatto, Jason Jarrett, radistan kishishev, David bell (and that's just the last ten years) - and you moan at others for hyperbole.

A draw is a decent result. I would have taken that after seeing the starting line up before the game. The first half we were ok, second we were diabolical. For me points are always the most important thing, but some of the football we're playing is absolutely rancid. It feels like we're sitting back just to protect Huth and Morgan. My opinion is that if we're to progress we need to upgrade one of them. 

Just now, The Doctor said:

lol - so if Mahrez puts in a bad performance people can't say others played well. Mahrez was well off form today, probably good that he's off to AFCON in actual fact, gives him a chance to play himself back to his level.

The point I'm making about Mahrez, which AGAIN been conveniently side stepped is that he is playing around team mates who are miles off his ability.

The best players in the world play in teams where the ability of those around them contributes to their greatness.

Ronaldo plays alongside Bale, Modric, James, Isco.

Messi plays in the same teams as Suarez, Neymar and Busquets.

Ibra is underpinned at Utd by Pogba.

Etc.

I believe Mahrez is an exceptional footballer. Today, he was playing in a completely defensively minded set up, alongside King, Amartey and Mendy. The only plus points of the first half were when Mahrez neatly side stepped a couple of challenges, made a forward run and literally had no one to give it to.

When he played alongside Kante, he had that player. The player with pace and ability to see what he was up to, and to give and go.

What do people expect? That he will beat five players and score from the edge of the area every week?

The only time that Mahrez has looked world class this season has actually been when our midfield has been bypassed. Against Man City, two long balls given to him, to control and to lay in Vardy. Today, he had no help. There was no one on his wavelength to give the ball to.

I almost hope he does leave us in the summer. I'll be gutted for the club, but pleased for the player. I think he'd be a part of most top teams and will once again look like the star player he clearly is. 

Playing in this team, with how we set up today must be pretty soul destroying I'd imagine. 

5 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

I would actually

You would rather we went for it and lost 2-1.

Clearly you don't understand that football is a results business.  And I don't want to hear any BS about it being an entertainment.  It's a business.  And there's sod all entertainment in being relegated.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps in future you could just rank by score instead of superlatives. Or just give us a list of in what order your superlatives rank... for instance how far off "brilliant" is "immense"?

Also, tut tut on praising Amartey but being critical of Mahrez.

Ah so, now you're criticizing me for when I gave Amartey great praise?

lol

Fook sake, make your mind up!

1 minute ago, chicagofox said:

You would rather we went for it and lost 2-1.

Clearly you don't understand that football is a results business.  And I don't want to hear any BS about it being an entertainment.  It's a business.  And there's sod all entertainment in being relegated.

I'm with you on that one. Of course I'd rather see us play well, but I'm much happier when we get a result playing poorly than I am if we lose. Regardless of how we play. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Oh no, I was just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Whilst, at the same time, stating I'd picked on him!

lol

Christ on a bike....I don't bother with re quoting old posts, I'll leave that to the experts, but as I said, make your mind up!

At least it's making the evening pass quickly!

lol

Archived