Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

ACON 2017

Thought Mahrez was easily MOTM and the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Slim on the other hand didn't impress me. Too much mardy sulking, complaining and excuses. Blaming the floodlights for miss timing a header - please.  

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Slim on the other hand didn't impress me. Too much mardy sulking, complaining and excuses. Blaming the floodlights for miss timing a header - please.  

Apart from that header, it reminds me of his games for us, balls keep going over his head and making him angry. Don't blame him. 

Ive been keeping up a bit with AFCON. Watched the game just now and I have to say, Riyad Mahrez carried the team. Without him could've easily been 2-0 or 3-0 Zimbabwe. What struck me though is that he played as a CM for much of the game I think and he did a descent job. I wonder if Ranieri will take note.

Just now, Loves2spooge said:

With this performance tonight , Mahrez became Algeria's 4th best goal scorer in AFCON with 3 goals in 2 competitions

He also takes the lead of AFCON top scorers with his brace tonight

He should be nominated for African footballer of the year.

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Hopefully Algeria don't qualify... we could potentially have Mahrez and Slim back for Derby... 

Don't see them coming out of the group stage. A friend of mine told me that Senegal and Tunisia are way better than Zimbabwe. The game against Zimbabwe should have been the one to win.

3 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Apart from that header, it reminds me of his games for us, balls keep going over his head and making him angry. Don't blame him. 

I think it's a bit much of him to just stand there and expect pin point accurate crosses. I'm not convinced he made his own luck tonight. 

2 minutes ago, limeydale said:

He should be nominated for African footballer of the year.

He already is Africa's best footballer of the year ;)

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Don't see them coming out of the group stage. A friend of mine told me that Senegal and Tunisia are way better than Zimbabwe. The game against Zimbabwe should have been the one to win.

Zimbabwe drew Ivory coast and Cameroon before playing Algeria tonight , They have talent they can make a surprise   

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think it's a bit much of him to just stand there and expect pin point accurate crosses. I'm not convinced he made his own luck tonight. 

Yeah you're probably right. Think the whole team was off tonight though, in the previous Algeria games I have watched they've been much better. 

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I agree. Seems like he lost a step since leaving Sporting to be honest.

17 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Nice to see Slim doing his Victor Meldrew impression at the AFCON.

20 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Slimani seems to be acting like a prima dona amongst that Algerian squad. A lot of yelling and complaining. Don't like the attitude.

Watching the game, it seems that Mahrez works well when he has another midfielder that can hold the ball and draw defenders. In this case, he had Porto's Yacine Brahimi running the ball and Mahrez played more as a CF at times than a traditional winger. I think it worked to his favor because he was able to find himself open space when defenders flocked to Brahimi.

2 minutes ago, USFox said:

Watching the game, it seems that Mahrez works well when he has another midfielder that can hold the ball and draw defenders. In this case, he had Porto's Yacine Brahimi running the ball and Mahrez played more as a CF at times than a traditional winger. I think it worked to his favor because he was able to find himself open space when defenders flocked to Brahimi.

That's what we have been always saying. Need an attacking midfielder of quality.

2 minutes ago, USFox said:

Brahimi did a wonderful job. But, the one who impressed me is our RB (meftah). He came in the second half and was solid defensively and on top of that he attacked a lot. That allowed mahrez to have more 1v1s and drift inside and by that outnumbering them. Get mahrez a good RB and another ball carrier (flair player) and he will be back to his POTY days

Archived