Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deucalion

Have the media got it right about Leicester fans?

Back the board or sack the board? Back or sack Ranieri?   

160 members have voted

1. 1. Do you back the board over their sacking of Ranieri?

• I think they have done great things already and I trust them to have made the right decision. I back them wholeheartedly.
    • I think they have done great things already but I am not sure this is a good decision. They still have my backing.
    • I can take or leave our owners.
    • I have never been a fan of our owners. They will probably leave when they have made enough cash or got enough exposure for King Power.
    • I think we should use fan pressure to bring about a change of ownership in our club.
  2. 2. Was it the right thing to do to sack Ranieri.

• Definitely, we were going down.
    • I reluctantly agree with the sacking.
    • Not sure/ Don't know.
    • I think this is probably a bad decision
    • Sacking Ranieri is an outrage.

1 minute ago, Renart said:

I think the media are just about right with this. I have spoken to an awful lot of LCFC fans (sth/members/more general fans) and the opinion is more in line with what the media are saying than it is on here. Maybe I am talking to my own 'echo chamber', maybe those thinking that Ranieri should not have been sacked are less vocal on here, or maybe it is only a certain type of fan who is represented by this website, but I think that there are a lot of our fans who are quite upset about this. 

However, I do not think that they are the type of supporter who will make trouble. I will follow my team as I have always done. And I will back the owners as I have always done. But I wanted LCFC to have been bigger than all of this. And that makes me sad.

I think we can all agree that it's sad on the part of Ranieri. But if the Majority of our fans see this as some sort of 'shock' and want to blame the owners and didn't realise this is inevitable or were happy to be relegated because we won the League last year, then I cannot associate with them at all.

38 minutes ago, Wilson_6 said:

When i have been reading/watching all the media coverage and they all say the fans are outraged and would rather have given him until the end of the season.. I was like what? Most of this forum agree with the owners. 

This forum is rarely a good gauge of the feelings of fans on the street .... Maybe just the fact that we spend time on a  LCFC forum makes us untypical too!!

It can so difficult to separate the competing issues surrounding this sad but inevitable news. 

1. Just because its sensationlised by the media and that many media outlets and commentators are judging LCFC harshly does not mean its fair or balanced. We now have 24 hour news and, as a consequence, the media have an agenda focussed on providing as much content for print copy and TV and radio airtime as possible and that can often and, is invariably, achieved by taking extreme positions to elicit responses and create heated debate thus filling even more copy and airtime and feeding their audience numbers. They will, of course, claim that they are giving voice to the competing views but this is a business and if it delivers audiences and sells advertising/tickets, job done. If the new manager can galvanise the team and keep us up, we wont hear a peep from the media, because its not a dramatic as the title champions going down.

2. With regards to the argument that Claudio should have stayed. There's a saying, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got". There was no evidence to show that staying with Claudio would have brought about the changes necessary to stay up. Of course he's a thoroughly decent gentleman and I'm saddened that he was unable to turn around the team's fortunes, but apparently, the Captain of the Titanic was a decent man but the ship still sank.

3. Much of the debate has been sentimentalised - "look what he did for the club last year", "how could we treat him like this?" etc. However, I would argue a central component to this debate is leadership. How much influence and, therefore, difference did his leadership qualities and footballing judgement make to our success last year? He had a relatively settled team playing for each other and playing out of their skins. He had few injuries to contend with and 2/3 players playing better than they had ever played, a togetherness within the team and a system that suited their styles. His leadership style and personality was perfect for this eventual success. He managed and deflected the press coverage like Pearson could never have done and helped to maintain the confidence of the team. That is one particular leadership style that was ideally suited to the conditions and circumstance then. However, this season's form and results, for whatever reason, necessitates a different leadership style, a style I would argue Claudio does not possess. This became even more evident as poor performances and results continued, with often erratic and illogical  decisions made on formations, substitutions and tactics . Our team's current situation demands a different leadership style, hence he had to go.

4. And finally, the owners were left with little alternative because, and this may upset some, its a business! As supporters we will support the team through thick and thin and that loyalty is often based on geography, locality and kinship - belonging to a community having shared experiences. The owners are business people and as such have different priorities and motives. They may grow to love the club as much as we do (which is always a bonus), but the impact and consequences of not changing the manager would be huge and could affect the long-term future, stability and profitability of the club. Last season Claudio was the right man for that time, however he ceased to be the right man with the right skill-set and leadership style to meet our current challenges. Discuss.

Let's face it, we will not know if they have made the right decision until the end of the season. They waited a lot longer than other clubs would have in the sacking, obviously from the gratitude they hold for Claudio from what he has achieved.

But they have not put years of money and time into this club for us to be steered back down to the Championship.

A very hard decision to make. I will back them all the way as it is them who have been here for the 7 years, making recruitments/sackings to get us where we are (or where last season).

There were some leading questions in this poll and some options which nobody would go for, unless as, in the words of another poster, they 'have the IQ of a pot plant'.

Good shout to make it a public poll.

Who on earth is once a fox? Never seen him on here before. If you ask me he is probably a wum and a Forest or Millwall supporter.

I was very reluctantly for Ranieri going and it looks to me as though things will not improve unless a lot of other things change as well.

Claudio was far from blameless but it is clear to see that a lot of his decisions were the right ones.

People have called for the dropping of Morgan and Huth but Benalouane and Was have hardly impressed when they have played.

People have also called for the dropping of Fuchs but Chilwell has made quite a number of mistakes when he has played and hasn't made an overwhelming case as first choice either.

There are only two sensible answers to 'Was it the right thing to do to sack Ranieri'; going down or reluctantly agree.

It is up to the players now. They are definitely good enough to get the results they need to stay up, but only if they play like they did in the last half hour against Sevilla.

Someone should be asking Vardy, Huth, Morgan and co. some serious questions, like are you really up for this?

And if you're not, then feck off out of our club now!!!

The ignorance of so many neutrals is astonishing, infact they're not neutrals, they're just supporters of Ranieri who have no emotional ties to our club, therefore it wouldn't concern them one bit if he was to stay on and take us down. Why can't they understand that, and how serious a threat relegation is becoming game after game in the PL?

"This is where we belong" I don't recall the outcry of the media/fans when Hull sacked Phelan? Swansea sacked Bradley? Palace sacked Pardew? Bottom 6 is where they usually reside perhaps with the exception of Swansea, however a club of their size "deserves" to be near the bottom according to some dinosaurs. So why are we any different sacking the manager who is massively underperforming? I don't give a shit about last seasons success right now, that doesn't mean I don't like Ranieri or appreciate what he did, right now we need change. If the media/fans did their research they would know what we know (or atleast suspect) that Ranieri changed a lot of what has worked for some time around here last summer. On the face of it who knows just how much he changed and if the players are justified in getting the hump with him. On the pitch, some tactics and team selections have had OUR fans puzzled. Our recruitment has been woeful this season, how much of that is down to Ranieri is unknown. Perhaps thats more down to Rudkin/Macia.

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

The media are under the illusion that Leicester fans would be happy to go down as we wont the league last season.

It's utter drivel. Patronising in the extreme.

We cannot go down.

Exactly. I cannot believe the drivel some of the "experts" and pundits like Les Ferdinand or Jamie Gallagher speak.

I wonder if they would say the same bollocks if it was their precious ManUre or Loserpool that were bordering on relegation. ****ing knobheads thats what they are

Only now you can really see that Leicester's last season title was a thorn in some of those big club sides. Patronizing bigots.

Guest seanfox778

It's crazy how the media are tearing into us. I've never seen anything like it, they're out to make us public enemy no.1. As sad as it is, we were going down, the players weren't playing for Ranieri so what're we supposed to do? Just bend over and take relegation because we one the league LAST season. The unfortunate reality is that we are going down and something needed to change. Personally I couldn't see any other way to change our situation so the owners have done the right thing. 

7 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Just heard Thierry Henry say that our fans aren't seeing what everyone else sees. I think being fans we'd have a better idea of whats going on than "Ranieri FC.", which has fast become one of the best supported clubs in the world over the last 24 hours.

Henry is such a cretin

It was the right choice at this moment. The owners see this club as a business and we were going down fast, so something had to change and Claudio has actually gotten a lot of time to change things around, which unfortunately just didn't happen. I do not understand the whole shock and horror over this in the media; we have been outplayed in nearly every game this season... 

Archived