Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Your top 10 Sega Mega Drive Games

I've had this totally original and absolutely not copied (from the top 10 PS2 and N64 games threads) idea for a thread. The Mega drive was my first ever games console. Absolutely love it. My top 10 games, in no particular order:

1. Sonic 2

2. Streets of Rage

3. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

4. Super Hang On

5. Aladdin

6. The Lion King

7. Sensible Soccer

8. Premier Manager

9. Golden Axe

10. James Pond 3 - Operation Starfish

Found it really hard keeping it down to just 10 games, but these have got to be my favourits

James Pond 3 with the cheat code of putting in all green frogs to play as the green frog lol. What a game.

Absolutely loved Road Rash. Smashing people on bikes with chains. Zool and Cool Spot were classics as well

My Top 10

Sonic 2

Road Rash

ToeJam & Earl (prob my No1)

Double Dragon

Mickeys Castle of Illusion

Earthworm Jim

Kid Chameleon

Battletoads

Aladdin

Fantastic Dizzy

Honourable mentions -  Double Dragon, Desert Strike, Shinobi (stupidly hard), Ecco the Dolphin

13 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

My Top 10

Sonic 2

Road Rash

ToeJam & Earl (prob my No1)

Double Dragon

Earthworm Jim

Kid Chameleon

Battletoads

Aladdin

Fantastic Dizzy

Honourable mentions -  Double Dragon, Desert Strike, Shinobi (stupidly hard), Ecco the Dolphin

Brilliant game, although i actually preferred World of Illusion with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

Streets of Rage 2 - played this through so many times

Streets of Rage

Super Street Fighter 2

Desert Strike

Mortal Kombat

Fifa World Cup 90

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

Captain America and the Avengers

Quackshot

Aladdin

5 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Never had one myself but my niece did so when I would babysit my niece back in the early 90's I would play Alex Kidd In Miracle World.

Another classic game but was on the Master System

In no particular order:

John Madden Football

Super Monaco Grand Prix

Sonic the Hedgehog

Golden Axe

Altered Beast

Revenge of Shinobi

Lakers vs Celtics and the NBA Playoffs

Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion

Cyberball

World Cup Italia '90

Honourable mention:

Jungle Strike

Populous

Cool Spot

Taz-Mania

NBA Jam

I still have my mega drive set up with most of the games in this thread! The 1 i don't have but remember fondly is battletoads - great game! They go for a fortune on ebay now!

6 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I still have my mega drive set up with most of the games in this thread! The 1 i don't have but remember fondly is battletoads - great game! They go for a fortune on ebay now!

They go for a fortune because SpeedRunners like to play Battletoads. The level where you ride a hover bike thing was ridiculous lol 

22 minutes ago, stix said:

Can't believe Speedball 2 hasn't been mentioned yet. 

All the Sonic games

Golden Axe

Streets of Rage

Road Rash

Speedball 2

All the Mortal Kombats

Great shout for SB2 can't believe I forgot that classic 

Also I forgot NHL Hockey, another classic sports sim.

FIFA 93 (There was some hype about this when first released. Was well justified though)

Mortal Kombat 2

NHL 94

Micro Machines

NBA Jam

Sonic 2 (Collecting the rings with Tails!)

Eternal Champions

Virtua Racing (Graphics were a big deal in the pre-3D era)

Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine (Columns not far off)

Streets Of Rage

Some good games but I always preferred the Super NIntendo.Always seemed the much cooler console.

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

Brilliant game, although i actually preferred World of Illusion with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

If you never have done, you both need to do yourself a favour and try out the Master System version of Castle of Illusion. It had tighter gameplay, better level design and the soundtrack was way better (even with the hugely limited soundchip).

My top 10:

1. Streets of Rage 2. Just perfect - 10/10 gameplay and soundtrack. Shame that SOR3 fvcking stank, and that Sega binned the series off and no one makes scrolling beaters anymore.

2. Sonic 3 (/& Knuckles). Great level design, music, and the Get Blue Spheres bonus levels were great fun and used some great trickery to make the Megadrive look way ahead of its time.

3. Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition. The best 16-bit port of SF2 Turbo. The Super SF2 port, although great gameplay-wise, was massively let down by sound compression so all the music sounded shite.

4. Sonic 1. The original and one of the best, really charming game that still plays really well today.

5. Streets of Rage. Although a blatant rip-off of Final Fight, Streets of Rage battered it in terms of gameplay and sound design.

6. Aladdin. Great platformer, even amongst other great Disney games of the time.

7. Lost Vikings. One of my few favourites that I haven't got around to playing in recent years, from what I remember it was really good, challenging as hell and rammed full of levels.

8. Toejam & Earl. Mental, fun, and genuinely funny.

9. Decap Attack. Great platformer using the same mechanics as Psycho Fox on the Master System.

10. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Worth playing just for the 2-player battle music.

Honourable mentions:

Gunstar Heroes, Splatterhouse, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Columns, Lion King, Road Rash + 2, Kid Chameleon, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco (for its bizarre ambience more than anything)

Archived