Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Your top 10 Sega Mega Drive Games

31 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

If you never have done, you both need to do yourself a favour and try out the Master System version of Castle of Illusion. It had tighter gameplay, better level design and the soundtrack was way better (even with the hugely limited soundchip).

My top 10:

1. Streets of Rage 2. Just perfect - 10/10 gameplay and soundtrack. Shame that SOR3 fvcking stank, and that Sega binned the series off and no one makes scrolling beaters anymore.

2. Sonic 3 (/& Knuckles). Great level design, music, and the Get Blue Spheres bonus levels were great fun and used some great trickery to make the Megadrive look way ahead of its time.

3. Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition. The best 16-bit port of SF2 Turbo. The Super SF2 port, although great gameplay-wise, was massively let down by sound compression so all the music sounded shite.

4. Sonic 1. The original and one of the best, really charming game that still plays really well today.

5. Streets of Rage. Although a blatant rip-off of Final Fight, Streets of Rage battered it in terms of gameplay and sound design.

6. Aladdin. Great platformer, even amongst other great Disney games of the time.

7. Lost Vikings. One of my few favourites that I haven't got around to playing in recent years, from what I remember it was really good, challenging as hell and rammed full of levels.

8. Toejam & Earl. Mental, fun, and genuinely funny.

9. Decap Attack. Great platformer using the same mechanics as Psycho Fox on the Master System.

10. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Worth playing just for the 2-player battle music.

Honourable mentions:

Gunstar Heroes, Splatterhouse, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Columns, Lion King, Road Rash + 2, Kid Chameleon, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ecco (for its bizarre ambience more than anything)

Now you mention it i've had to check and it was the Master system game I had and not on mega drive. Was a brilliant game

Rocket Knight Adventures, Phantasy Star, R-Type, Ghouls and Ghosts and Wonderboy in Monster World deserve a mention.

My list would be a rehash of someone else's already mentioned in here.

I wouldn't want to leave more than 2 out of those five though.

Streets of Rage

Sonic 1

Mortal Kombat

Revenge of Shinobi

Alex in Miracle Land

King's Bounty

Home Alone

Golden Axe (3? The one with the cat man guy)

Fifa (No idea which one it was!)

Earth Worm Jim

Road Rash

Flicky

Battle Toads

Don't make me choose. I could name a ton more :'(

(Note, don't know what Sega console these were all on - we had the megadrive 2 I think?)

5 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Streets of Rage

Sonic 1

Mortal Kombat

Revenge of Shinobi

Alex in Miracle Land

King's Bounty

Home Alone

Golden Axe (3? The one with the cat man guy)

Fifa (No idea which one it was!)

Earth Worm Jim

Road Rash

Flicky

Battle Toads

Don't make me choose. I could name a ton more :'(

(Note, don't know what Sega console these were all on - we had the megadrive 2 I think?)

Alex Kidd in Miracle World was brilliant, but it was Master System. The Megadrive Alex Kidd game (Enchanted Castle) was horrible, really corny and floaty. Battle Toads was great but those hoverbike levels were ridiculously hard!

I don't want to dilute the thread but as a few people have mentioned Master System games already I'll do a Master System top ten:

1. Sonic 2. Nothing to do with the Megadrive version, just a great game.

2. Alex Kidd in Miracle World. Think I played it solid for a year before actually finishing it, and the levels with the motorbike, boat and peticopter were cool af.

3. Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion. Amazing platformer, better than the Megadrive version imo.

4. Sonic Chaos. Brilliant original Sonic game, nice music and decent bonus levels - just way too easy.

5. Asterix. A really great platformer, and choosing between Asterix and Obelix gave you different paths through each level. Loads of cool secret areas and nice music.

6. Black Belt/Hokuto no Ken. How the fvck did they do multi-layered scrolling backgrounds on the Master System? Technically outstanding.

7. Golden Axe Warrior. Blatant Zelda rip-off but way more challenging and with decent graphics for the day.

8. Streets of Rage 2. A very good port of the Megadrive version, nailed the gameplay and included all the original levels iirc.

9. Wonder Boy III. Great platform RPG, being remade for Xbox One, PS4 and Switch.

10. Lemmings. Although available on every system at the time, I have to include this as the programmers used some great trickery to make the SMS soundchip sound nothing like other Master System games - the music sounded more like an Amiga game. Also one of the few SMS games to include voice samples.

Honourable mentions:

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Sonic 1, Psycho Fox, OutRun, Phantasy Star, Shinobi series, Rambo, Prince of Persia, Fantasy Zone, Golvellius, Kenseiden, Double Dragon

Forget what a great console it was. Can't be bothered to do my own top 10 as far too much debating with myself but some classics mentioned in here.

Although may have missed them not seen jungle or urban strike mentioned, the first rts with a proper tech tree Mega Lo Mania, brilliant game, or dynamite heady. Also as I was lucky enough to get mine 2nd hand out the mercury with a jap converter had a side scrolling beat em up called DJ Boy which was great.

Shame the Saturn ruined Segas rep in the hardware department.

• Streets of Rage 2
  • Rocket Knight Adventures
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Mickley Mania
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Pier Solar and the Great Architects
  • Puyo Pop Tsu
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Sonic 3
  • Chuck Rock 2

That's not my absolute top 10 but those are the first that came to mind. I love the mega drive and still have it hooked up in my study. Has anyone seen Paprium? New mega drive beat em up being developed by Watermelon who made Pier Solar. Pre ordered the special edition. 

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:17, Captain... said:

How could I forget Micro machines with the cartridge that had 2 controller ports:

222340-micro-machines-turbo-tournament-9

This was the version that you could design your own track on.

Archived