Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

26 minutes ago, Buce said:

I think it's against forum rules, but there are some on Google images if you have filters off.

Allegedly. :ph34r:

47C26A9800000578-0-image-a-6_1515104467447.jpg

2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Right. That's a fall of around £1.8 billion. 

Worst growth in 5 years. What's your point?

Growth was running at over 3% when the Tories came into office and they've successfully reduced economic performance through anti-growth policies.

My point is it’s not as huge as some would have you think, growth is good. Well done everyone.

We're ahead of Europe in the economic cycle, when we were coming out of recession our growth was faster. 

If the slow growth is down to Brexit what is the remedy? The govt is carrying out the wishes of the electorate and there's no indication that the electorate have changed their minds.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We're ahead of Europe in the economic cycle, when we were coming out of recession our growth was faster. 

If the slow growth is down to Brexit what is the remedy? The govt is carrying out the wishes of the electorate and there's no indication that the electorate have changed their minds.

Have another referendum and see?

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

If Italy’s Q4 prediction is correct we won’t be bottom of the G7 either I think. 

Good strong economic figures considering the uncertainty, we should be well poised to come out of brexit in a good shape to build from.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Factually incorrect. The uk came out recession in the final quarter of 2009 yet in 2010 gdp growth in Germany was higher and France was only 0.1% lower. 

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

If Italy’s Q4 prediction is correct we won’t be bottom of the G7 either I think. 

Good strong economic figures considering the uncertainty, we should be well poised to come out of brexit in a good shape to build from.

And what a triumph that will be after 10 years of Tory rule lol

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

Factually incorrect. The uk came out recession in the final quarter of 2009 yet in 2010 gdp growth in Germany was higher and France was only 0.1% lower. 

I meant the Eurozone, being pedantic doesn't win the argument.

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

To listen to some on here we're all surviving on bread and water. All things considered we're not doing too bad at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

My point is it’s not as huge as some would have you think, growth is good. Well done everyone.

You're right. This year we have the worst growth in 5 years and last year was only marginally better. The economy is slowly stalling.

For comparison, European growth is at a ten year high. 

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

You're right. This year we have the worst growth in 5 years and last year was only marginally better. The economy is slowly stalling.

For comparison, European growth is at a ten year high. 

The worst good year in five years is still a good year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

To listen to some on here we're all surviving on bread and water. All things considered we're not doing too bad at all.

What things considered? The last eight years or so have been some of the best years in history for growth around the world.

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

What things considered? The last eight years or so have been some of the best years in history for growth around the world.

If you look at this chart;

european-union-gdp-annual-growth-rate.pn

The EU was in recession for 5 consecutive quarters from the start of 2012

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If you look at this chart;

european-union-gdp-annual-growth-rate.pn

The EU was in recession for 5 consecutive quarters from the start of 2012

That was the impact of austerity policies in some EU countries. 

To be honest as i’ve said before I’m not particularly interested in GDP. Whether it’s a percentage up or down has a negligible impact on people’s lives in comparison to more important measures like wage growth, where we have been sitting rock bottom in the developed world since the Tories took over.

4 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

That was the impact of austerity policies in some EU countries. 

To be honest as i’ve said before I’m not particularly interested in GDP. Whether it’s a percentage up or down has a negligible impact on people’s lives in comparison to more important measures like wage growth, where we have been sitting rock bottom in the developed world since the Tories took over.

But when you said;

The last eight years or so have been some of the best years in history for growth around the world.

Would it be correct to say that you were wrong? Did the UK out perform the EU during that time?

31 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Until we get the right result?

Well, you did say there was no indication that the electorate had changed their minds. A referendum might give that indication. I certainly feel very strongly that a referendum should be given once we know the deal we're going to get because a lot of people voted on false premises. Anecdotally, I know of about a dozen or so who voted Brexit and regret it, but none the other way around.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Well, you did say there was no indication that the electorate had changed their minds. A referendum might give that indication. I certainly feel very strongly that a referendum should be given once we know the deal we're going to get because a lot of people voted on false premises. Anecdotally, I know of about a dozen or so who voted Brexit and regret it, but none the other way around.

If it's the choice between accepting the deal or leaving with no deal then, despite it being a waste of money, I'd accept that. If we get to vote whether to accept the deal or stay in then that's unacceptable because why would the EU give us any kind of decent deal?

We just need to get on with it now. All us  pensioners will be dead in 20 years time we can reapply then if we want to.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If it's the choice between accepting the deal or leaving with no deal then, despite it being a waste of money, I'd accept that. If we get to vote whether to accept the deal or stay in then that's unacceptable because why would the EU give us any kind of decent deal?

We just need to get on with it now. All us  pensioners will be dead in 20 years time we can reapply then if we want to.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but bear in mind the EU already know that Parliament will have it's say once the deal is known, anyway.

May will not get 'no deal' or a 'bad deal' through, imo.

47 minutes ago, Webbo said:

But when you said;

Would it be correct to say that you were wrong? Did the UK out perform the EU during that time?

Growth has been pretty poor across much of the western world due to austerity politics. It's just that now the UK has slowing growth just at the point other countries are heading in the opposite direction.

Edited by Guest