Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

8 hours ago, toddybad said:

What's your point? The last labour government might as well have worn blue rosettes. And they weren't issuing profit warnings when they were still giving them contracts. You're clutching at straws a bit there.

I thought they were the most successful govt in history, despite the fact you voted against them.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I thought they were the most successful govt in history, despite the fact you voted against them.

They were. As the increase in your personal worth during that period should show.

56 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Is that because they were Tory light?

No. It was because they started spending in areas that had measurable impacts on the lives of ordinary people. Whilst they kept to tory spending plans in their first few years their priorities were significantly different. Over time they bright NHS spending up to the EU average and it changed patient care and waiting times enormously.

Quite why the right believes the eu's 2nd richest country spending average amounts on health is too much I cannot fathom.

You can *try* to be clever all you like but most people will tell you that public services improved and ordinary people were better off under that labour government.

Put it this way - if you didn't vote labour after Blair's first term you would have to be a tory fundamentalist. I've never lived through a period of such political positivity.

As I've said before, I voted Tory partly due to Labour running out of ideas under Brown and partly because I fell for dodgy Dave's compassionate conservatism bs. I've learnt my lesson.

56 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Woohoo prices going up marginally less faster than my wages! I'm getting poorer very slightly slower!

If you spend a lot of your money on toys, games and air fares you're particularly quids in. Exciting times for all those frequent flying infants.

Edited by Rogstanley

Guest Foxin_mad

I will not get involved in the round robin discussion any further, its futile. People believe what they believe and that wont change. The likelihood is that the correct route is none of the above.

The solution is not 2 shit parties at opposite ends of the spectrum it is a decent centre ground party. The very fact that Labour can not get a vote share to command a majority after 2 years of sheer incompetence from the Tories tells us everything we need to know about Labour and their shadow cabinet. To pretend they are a solution to any problem is pure denial. The tribal mentality is ridiculous.

I have never said at any point that the Tories are doing great, I have merely said that they are more credible than the alternative, which seems to be a theory most of the electorate support still.

14 minutes ago, Foxin_mad said:

I will not get involved in the round robin discussion any further, its futile. People believe what they believe and that wont change. The likelihood is that the correct route is none of the above.

The solution is not 2 shit parties at opposite ends of the spectrum it is a decent centre ground party. The very fact that Labour can not get a vote share to command a majority after 2 years of sheer incompetence from the Tories tells us everything we need to know about Labour and their shadow cabinet. To pretend they are a solution to any problem is pure denial. The tribal mentality is ridiculous.

I have never said at any point that the Tories are doing great, I have merely said that they are more credible than the alternative, which seems to be a theory most of the electorate support still.

Among the working age population labour won the last election. Only pensioners won it for the Tories and that was mainly because they promised to keep the triple lock, those people were just voting directly in their own interests without considering how overall performance is affecting others. So lets not pretent that thr electorate support austerity or anything like that because there is no evidence of that whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Among the working age population labour won the last election. Only pensioners won it for the Tories and that was mainly because they promised to keep the triple lock, those people were just voting directly in their own interests without considering how overall performance is affecting others. So lets not pretent that thr electorate support austerity or anything like that because there is no evidence of that whatsoever.

Labour committed to the triple lock as well and they said free social care for all, unlike the Tories.

They actually promised the pensioners more than the Conservatives did but still couldn't win the grey vote.

It's almost like they aren't gullible and have seen a government promising everything for nothing before. 

37 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

If you spend a lot of your money on toys, games and air fares you're particularly quids in. Exciting times for all those frequent flying infants.

Unfortunately I need to buy butter, oils and electricity which are all up around or over the 10% mark.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Labour committed to the triple lock as well and they said free social care for all, unlike the Tories.

They actually promised the pensioners more than the Conservatives did but still couldn't win the grey vote.

It's almost like they aren't gullible and have seen a government promising everything for nothing before. 

They aren't promising something for nothing. It's just you don't like the way they will raise money.

38 minutes ago, Foxin_mad said:

If you'd put it like that previously I'd have taken you more seriously. Much better to expand on this point.

Just now, toddybad said:

They aren't promising something for nothing. It's just you don't like the way they will raise money.

Of course not, all the experts said it would raise taxes for everybody once that fantasy you could hammer rich bogeyman and business evaporated.