Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

13 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

One more thing. I was hearing yesterday that everything is rosy on the economy.

Try telling that to the workers at Maplin and Toys R Us.

To be fair, Maplin and Toys R Us are the masters of their own downfall in the current climate.

Maplin is far too overpriced and always has been - it's somewhere you only go when you're desperate for a part and can't wait for it to be delivered. They mostly just stock random crap - the only useful stuff is cables, fuses, etc. 

Toys R Us have had an outdated business model for a long time and their huge stores are probably far too expensive to run / maintain when margins on toys are probably eroding and more people are buying online. 

The economy isn't great but both of these companies were headed down the toilet for a long while, I think. 

23 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Big John Major coming with the ****ing truth. 

From the man who pegged Sterling to the Deutsche Mark (for ERM II), and even when his advisers were saying it was untenable, he kept it pegged until the stock market was forcing the Pound to collapse due to the Mark strengthening. Raised interest rates by 2% and then 3% in like 4 hours. He pegged it not for economic reasons, but purely for political reasons in wanting to be closer to the EU. Absolute shambles of a Prime Minister, and an even worse political opinion pundit, or whatever he is now.

Made both our country and people poorer, shocked national prestige (in fact was the worst event in the UK's membership of the EU, until 2016) and didn't change course until he was absolutely forced to, otherwise the Pound would have collapsed further than the ~10% or so it had already within the 2 or 3 month period that it was falling versus the Mark.

Stones and glass houses, John.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

so he doesn't have a voice because he ****ed something up in the past?

he made mistakes that made our country poorer - ok, well maybe he knows a little about that. is he only allowed to sit idly by and watch it happen, because he ****ed up once in the past?

we've all ****ed up at something - right?

I mean - let's say I cut two fingers off cutting meat in a certain way and then I see someone else going to cut it the same way - I tell them about it, surely?

or do I just watch and say nothing because I ****ed up myself?

it's a common theme in this thread (from both sides) but it appears that no politician can say X about Y now because they did / said something different about X / Y in the past.

but surely everyone is entitled to have changed their opinion / outlook / affinity to a party / whatever. 

• Like 1

We've nearly hit peak parody when John Major is saying we can't make people poorer and giving his opinion on European issues in the same speech saying others are getting it wrong. 

What next? Enoch Powell to advise us on race relations? George Osborne to lecture on too much austerity? Tony Blair to criticise on foreign intervention? 

44 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

Please also remember that we are late into this 'expansion' and a recession is likely brexit or not in the next few years (based on historical norms). 

+10

+25

+5

+14

+6

+10

+18

+?

Not much of a pattern there tbh. Even if an upcoming recession was ‘due’, it wouldn’t make the economic damage caused by brexit any less damaging. If anything if recessions could be predicted with enough accuracy to be able to say we are due one, it would further emphasise how reckless it is to be brexiting at this time.

Edited by Rogstanley

9 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

so he doesn't have a voice because he ****ed something up in the past?

he made mistakes that made our country poorer - ok, well maybe he knows a little about that. is he only allowed to sit idly by and watch it happen, because he ****ed up once in the past?

we've all ****ed up at something - right?

I mean - let's say I cut two fingers off cutting meat in a certain way and then I see someone else going to cut it the same way - I tell them about it, surely?

or do I just watch and say nothing because I ****ed up myself?

it's a common theme in this thread (from both sides) but it appears that no politician can say X about Y now because they did / said something different about X / Y in the past.

but surely everyone is entitled to have changed their opinion / outlook / affinity to a party / whatever. 

Of course he's allowed his opinions, but he shouldn't expect people to listen, or take him seriously given his record in being a total failure.

what if lil' J Maj came out supporting a hard brexit though?

it'd be all good then and he'd be a well decent guy and changing your mind on stuff is just fine. 

it's all tit for tat. nobody would be ragging on him if he said Corbyn sucks dicks and brexit is an amazing idea. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

it'd be all good then and he'd be a well decent guy and changing your mind on stuff is just fine. 

it's all tit for tat. nobody would be ragging on him if he said Corbyn sucks dicks and brexit is an amazing idea. 

No, I'd still think he was just as much of a failure, because factually, he was.

As if that wasn't bad enough, John Major is a Chelsea fan and debated our FA Cup penalty controversy in the House of Commons, the pillock.

Edited by Beechey

2 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

It would actually worry me a bit given he's got pretty much everything wrong regarding Europe in his life.

20 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Well yeah, you guys would be for a start.

• Haha 1

Just now, Strokes said:

Well yeah, you guys would be for a start.

that's what I'm saying. it's happening on both sides.

but people should accept that someone can change their opinion down the line or still make a valid comment regarding a new situation even though they've ****ed up in the past. 

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

It would actually worry me a bit given he's got pretty much everything wrong regarding Europe in his life.

Did he offer a free vote on the maastricht treaty, I’m trying to find out? He would be a massive hypocrite if he had his whips out for that.

Just now, lifted*fox said:

that's what I'm saying. it's happening on both sides.

but people should accept that someone can change their opinion down the line or still make a valid comment regarding a new situation even though they've ****ed up in the past. 

Fair enough, and I’m not saying he can’t have an opinion. He might have been a better PM if he made decent speeches delivered like that. I just think it’s funny how you lot think all tories are the devil reincarnated but as soon as one backs the EU it’s cocks out time. :D

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Fair enough, and I’m not saying he can’t have an opinion. He might have been a better PM if he made decent speeches delivered like that. I just think it’s funny how you lot think all tories are the devil reincarnated but as soon as one backs the EU it’s cocks out time. :D

i know you jest man, but I'm able to look at these things objectively. 

it doesn't matter to me who said that sentence - I just think it's a good way to sum up the current situation.

it's just unthinkable that any government would push on with such bloody-mindedness if it was detrimental to the country and it's inhabitants well-being.

but that's the problem - even if someone could finally come out and absolutely 100% say that Brexit was going to be a massive mistake - as in some guy got hopped out of a ****ing time machine and said "jesus christ guys, you know what - just been 10 years into the future and this is a PROBLEM. ****ing everything turns to shit - I'm telling you, absolutely DO NOT CARRY ON WITH BREXIT - it is a comprehensive fail in every conceivable way"; you'd still have MattP and Webbo arguing for it and you'd still have Teresa May pushing on with it. :rolleyes:

irrespective of john major's past mistakes / how shit he is at whatever / etc. the sentence is still sound and anybody, irrespective of their political view should look at that and go - 'yep, ain't that some truth!'

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

i know you jest man, but I'm able to look at these things objectively. 

it doesn't matter to me who said that sentence - I just think it's a good way to sum up the current situation.

it's just unthinkable that any government would push on with such bloody-mindedness if it was detrimental to the country and it's inhabitants well-being.

but that's the problem - even if someone could finally come out and absolutely 100% say that Brexit was going to be a massive mistake - as in some guy got hopped out of a ****ing time machine and said "jesus christ guys, you know what - just been 10 years into the future and this is a PROBLEM. ****ing everything turns to shit - I'm telling you, absolutely DO NOT CARRY ON WITH BREXIT - it is a comprehensive fail in every conceivable way"; you'd still have MattP and Webbo arguing for it and you'd still have Teresa May pushing on with it. :rolleyes:

irrespective of john major's past mistakes / how shit he is at whatever / etc. the sentence is still sound and anybody, irrespective of their political view should look at that and go - 'yep, ain't that some truth!'

It’s nonsense that a government wouldn’t go through with something that makes the country and the citizens poorer. We had two world wars in the last hundred years that did just that. You might not think this is worth putting us through a tough time to get our independence but I do. Which is why I take John Majors words with a pinch of salt because they change nothing for me.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Did he offer a free vote on the maastricht treaty, I’m trying to find out? He would be a massive hypocrite if he had his whips out for that.

No, Conservative MP's were whipped on Maastricht. Nine Conservative MP's had the whip withdrawn over it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I like John Major. Anyone who was banging Edwina Currie for four years in her prime get the thumbs up from me :thumbup:

Related image

You are a sick, sick man. :nono: 

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beechey said:

No, Conservative MP's were whipped on Maastricht. Nine Conservative MP's had the whip withdrawn over it.

Cheers for that, at least he plays with a straight bat.

I think he is dreaming if he thinks we would get a free commons vote but I’d much prefer politics to be done that way tbh.

11 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Highly likely as well that it would have been rejected by the house had Major not ordered the three line whip.

Ironically we'd have ended up with some sort of associate status had that happened. 

The gall of the man now demanding a free vote on the issue is unbelievable. 

Edited by MattP

Just now, MattP said:

Highly likely as well that it would have been rejected by the house had it not ordered the three line whip.

Ironically we'd have ended up with some sort of associate status had that happened. 

The gall of the man now demanding a free vote on the issue is unbelievable. 

Eh, he was and still is Remain's attack dog. Pretty sad for a former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to stoop that low. Not even the rabidly pro-EU Blair has done it.

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

Eh, he was and still is Remain's attack dog. Pretty sad for a former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to stoop that low. Not even the rabidly pro-EU Blair has done it.

It's appalling, even more so a couple of days before the speech from May to outline our position.