Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

On 09/06/2022 at 10:32, Foxdiamond said:

If you are able please try and listen to the birdsong. Currently got a blackbird in my garden singing his heart out. Good for your mental health just to stop and listen. 

I did this in early spring and many times since. It's amazing and beautiful and soothing. As the sun went down and darkness drew in, the birdsong gradually diminished until all was dark and it stopped completely, as if the birds were going to bed. Wonderful.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I did this in early spring and many times since. It's amazing and beautiful and soothing. As the sun went down and darkness drew in, the birdsong gradually diminished until all was dark and it stopped completely, as if the birds were going to bed. Wonderful.

Brilliant. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Get up early and keep em peeled ..  you’ll spot one soon enough if they are there .. 

I just bought my husband some night vision binoculars so we can hopefully spot the Tawny owls which live opposite as well. It also takes photo and records video, plus you can use it in the daytime, so hopefully can get some good sightings with that...including possibly our elusive muntjac friends! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

I just bought my husband some night vision binoculars so we can hopefully spot the Tawny owls which live opposite as well. It also takes photo and records video, plus you can use it in the daytime, so hopefully can get some good sightings with that...including possibly our elusive muntjac friends! 

Nice one ! ..  interested to see what they look like so post some pics when you get them.  Night vision has gone all thermal now ..  the Forestry commission use a thermal add on for their rifle scopes ..  the Pulsar Krypton ..  which can also be used a monocular ..  just a cool four grand ..   :mellow:

30 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Nice one ! ..  interested to see what they look like so post some pics when you get them.  Night vision has gone all thermal now ..  the Forestry commission use a thermal add on for their rifle scopes ..  the Pulsar Krypton ..  which can also be used a monocular ..  just a cool four grand ..   :mellow:

These were a bit more moderately priced..! We had a play about in the back garden and they seem pretty decent for the price. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Hands up who had a young roe buck in their back garden at 6 o’clock this morning ..  :)

A892599C-8B44-4F1D-ABDE-FF7704A8FE23.jpeg

Why doesn’t this one get the lead pellet treatment? You get a few days of exquisite dinner and it’s a little help to solve a massive environmental problem. Win-win

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Why doesn’t this one get the lead pellet treatment? You get a few days of exquisite dinner and it’s a little help to solve a massive environmental problem. Win-win

Make a right mess of my lawn  ..  and wake the neighbours up .. 

52 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

18 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Make a right mess of my lawn  ..  and wake the neighbours up .. 

But did see plenty of others in the forest after that today ..  :ph34r:

A71C0A10-F1F7-4845-BCDD-97921E93B31D.jpeg

• Like 2

On 29/06/2022 at 15:16, Foxdiamond said:

A simple pleasure to watch bees, butterflies  birds and flowers in the garden if you are lucky to have one. 

I sat amongst some trees in our garden one beautiful summers afternoon, writing a eulogy for my dad's funeral.

As I wrote, a butterfly landed on my knee.

They're usually quite timid creatures but it stayed there quite a while, slowly opening and closing it's wings.

A lovely memory during a very sad time for me.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rachhere said:

Here's a screenshot from a video we took last night. Pretty impressed with it for the price. We need to use a tripod though as there's only so long you can hold it above your head, searching for the owls. We saw at least three tawnies at once (mum and two babies) last night, so a fairly successful first mission! 

Owl.jpg

Unfortunately, this guy wasn't so lucky...:(

IMG_20220319_121024063_MP.jpg.2baf97f89c0437584df49614091b4202.jpg

• Sad 2