Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Dogs and Lawns, any tips? I don't have much time to faff in the garden so I have a guy that comes every other week, but one thing I want to attempt this year is getting the lawn in decent nick, or is it pointless with an almost 1 yr old Lab. 

Bitch urine kills grass, you will have brown patches.

If you have a male dog you will be OK.

6 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Dogs and Lawns, any tips? I don't have much time to faff in the garden so I have a guy that comes every other week, but one thing I want to attempt this year is getting the lawn in decent nick, or is it pointless with an almost 1 yr old Lab. 

It's a bit pointless. But apparently, tomato ketchup in the dog food helps to neutralise the acid in their wee if they do wee on the lawn. 

Or train them to wee in a particular spot away from the lawn. 

I don't have a dog, but did spend this weekend scarifying, mowing, seeding and then top dressing the front and back lawns.  

Took me about 6 hours in total and I'm on mission "improve lawn" this year!

The lawnsmith website is your go to resource sir. 

7 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

It's a bit pointless. But apparently, tomato ketchup in the dog food helps to neutralise the acid in their wee if they do wee on the lawn. 

Or train them to wee in a particular spot away from the lawn. 

I don't have a dog, but did spend this weekend scarifying, mowing, seeding and then top dressing the front and back lawns.  

Took me about 6 hours in total and I'm on mission "improve lawn" this year!

The lawnsmith website is your go to resource sir. 

Cheers Greg I’ll do some research. I’ve reached the “I want a decent lawn age” it seems, I’m not sure if 34 is early or late!

53 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Cheers Greg I’ll do some research. I’ve reached the “I want a decent lawn age” it seems, I’m not sure if 34 is early or late!

It's bang on time that is mate. You'll be looking at lawn mowers with a rear roller before you know it!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

It's bang on time that is mate. You'll be looking at lawn mowers with a rear roller before you know it!!

Cursing the weather for being too wet to scarify or too dry to overseed...

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Cursing the weather for being too wet to scarify or too dry to overseed...

I managed to get the perfect window on Saturday.....  just need to keep the flipping soil/seed wet enough for the next week or two! 

Anyone else grass seed growing? Laid mine two weeks ago across some bare patches after scarifying, covered with a bit of top soil. Seeing some green shoots but not much. 

also, overseeding - is that literally just spreading grass seed over existing lawn to thicken? Does this work? 

I used weed and feed last year and just ended up with small holes in the grass where the weeds were my own fault really 

19 hours ago, joachim1965 said:

It's the nitrogen in the wee that does it, apple cider vinegar in the dogs drinking water neutralises it .

Putting cyanide in the dog food will stop it weeing on your lawn. :thumbup:

Disclaimer: cyanide in the dog food will stop your dog doing anything!

Believe it or not I actually love dogs lol

We have a problem with neighbours' cats, which of course poo anywhere except their owner's garden. Tried so many things, damn things are resilient! Unlike the plants they kill.

24 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

Anyone else grass seed growing? Laid mine two weeks ago across some bare patches after scarifying, covered with a bit of top soil. Seeing some green shoots but not much. 

also, overseeding - is that literally just spreading grass seed over existing lawn to thicken? Does this work? 

I used weed and feed last year and just ended up with small holes in the grass where the weeds were my own fault really 

i've only done mine in the last few days. as a general rule of thumb, the average temperature has to be above 12 degrees.....   you have to take into account though the average of both the day time and night time temperature.   It's definitely slow to get going at this time of year.   Keep it well watered, it "should" kick on... the wrost thing is for the seed to dry out after it has germinated as then it will just die and clearly you won't get anything back at all. 

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Putting cyanide in the dog food will stop it weeing on your lawn. :thumbup:

Disclaimer: cyanide in the dog food will stop your dog doing anything!

Believe it or not I actually love dogs lol

We have a problem with neighbours' cats, which of course poo anywhere except their owner's garden. Tried so many things, damn things are resilient! Unlike the plants they kill.

allegedly, covering your flower beds in pepper helps....  

8 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

i've only done mine in the last few days. as a general rule of thumb, the average temperature has to be above 12 degrees.....   you have to take into account though the average of both the day time and night time temperature.   It's definitely slow to get going at this time of year.   Keep it well watered, it "should" kick on... the wrost thing is for the seed to dry out after it has germinated as then it will just die and clearly you won't get anything back at all. 

yes i have read that and we are suffering from below average temp atm so maybe delaying it. Spraying it with mist twice a day to keep it moist! I'm getting a bit obsessed with the grass/lawn care and it is driving my missus mad 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

yes i have read that and we are suffering from below average temp atm so maybe delaying it. Spraying it with mist twice a day to keep it moist! I'm getting a bit obsessed with the grass/lawn care and it is driving my missus mad 

It's an illness.  Once you've started, you get hooked!! 

• Haha 1

Honestly, Good Lawns are hard work in terms of time and effort.

They're also expensive to keep looking like the KP.

The best place to start is to do a soil sample and find out what type of soil you're dealing with.

Now I'm just happy to let the Granson cut it for pocket money.

I put some grass seeds down last week after getting some advice on this thread previously.

Covered it with compost and watered daily.

Its p1ssing it down now and after a week and abit I've had feck all growth!!!

I'll give it another few weeks else I'll scoop all that shwt up and try again!

Failing that I'm getting some turf rolls from a place in Enderby.

Cant be arsed with fannying around with a lawn...I'm.not yet that old and boring!!!!

Edited by Raj

9 minutes ago, Raj said:

I put some grass seeds down last week after getting some advice on this thread previously.

Covered it with compost and watered daily.

Its p1ssing it down now and after a week and abit I've had feck all growth!!!

I'll give it another few weeks else I'll scoop all that shwt up and try again!

Failing that I'm getting some turf rolls from a place in Enderby.

Cant be arsed with fannying around with a lawn...I'm.not yet that old and boring!!!!

It’ll take longer than a week mate ..  :D

• Like 1

I’ve just laid some turf at the front and grass seeds at the back. 

Turf looks great - instant impact and perfect weather for it. 

Grass seeds I’m not having so much luck with. Really patchy and scrubby looking 😕

2 hours ago, Milo said:

I’ve just laid some turf at the front and grass seeds at the back. 

Turf looks great - instant impact and perfect weather for it. 

Grass seeds I’m not having so much luck with. Really patchy and scrubby looking 😕

Overseed mate. Then if you can get the germination sheets. Peg down well and water twice daily. 

First cut, cut as high as possible and keep watering and it should come good. 

Looking forward to getting back out there properly and seeing what I can do pattern wise on my lawn front and back 😂 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

Overseed mate. Then if you can get the germination sheets. Peg down well and water twice daily. 

First cut, cut as high as possible and keep watering and it should come good. 

Looking forward to getting back out there properly and seeing what I can do pattern wise on my lawn front and back 😂 

Can you come and sort mine out mate.

Give you a tenner👍😁

Has anyone tried to grow Bonsai? 

I had a kit given to me which contained seeds for a number of varieties on Bonsai. I followed the instructions and I now have 3 tiny sprouting seedlings. All the same variety. Unfortunately the most potentially attractive ones haven't come through.

I'm not sure what to do next. Currently they're in the greenhouse but advice seems to be to put them outside to allow them to acclimatise. 

Do I pot them on into the containers they will remain in or do I pot them on into a temporary pot to then transplant them again as they mature. Planting them into the final pot now seems a bit premature as the seedlings are tiny.

A long shot, but then this is FT. Who knows?

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Cheers, bud. 

The mice are probably the biggest ball ache and will need to be offed. I went in to get some grain on Sunday for a brew day and one popped out the grain box and made me scream  and nigh on soil myself :frantics: