Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

If you fancy a free and pleasant couple of hours in nature, try Dimminsdale valley snowdrop walk. It's near Caulke Abbey and Staunton Harold reservoir where there's a nice waterside picnic are.

If you can't make the snowdrop season, the bluebells are just as nice in later spring.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj6jN6q35_9AhUWHcAKHfGoBzwQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lrwt.org.uk%2Fnature-reserves%2Fdimminsdale&usg=AOvVaw23ZFqRRgGkwkf9tDPbYTmQ

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Parafox said:

If you fancy a free and pleasant couple of hours in nature, try Dimminsdale valley snowdrop walk. It's near Caulke Abbey and Staunton Harold reservoir where there's a nice waterside picnic are.

If you can't make the snowdrop season, the bluebells are just as nice in later spring.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj6jN6q35_9AhUWHcAKHfGoBzwQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lrwt.org.uk%2Fnature-reserves%2Fdimminsdale&usg=AOvVaw23ZFqRRgGkwkf9tDPbYTmQ

Thanks. Not far from me and ideal for an afternoon stroll. Have been to Calke and Staunton, but I was unaware of this and always looking for new places.

6 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Thanks. Not far from me and ideal for an afternoon stroll. Have been to Calke and Staunton, but I was unaware of this and always looking for new places.

Dimmingsdale has a waymarked path along the disused quarry railway that you can follow up to Calke. It's an easy walk and very pleasant. 

• 2 weeks later...

just had 2 tons of compost delivered and at the weekend planted some rapsberry bushes, rhubarb and goosberries into the back garden.   Hopefully those and the two apple trees we planted last year will see us having a nice supply of our own fruit later in the year. 

Also started our seedlings for our veg & herb patches. 

Now to get on with building the raised bed around the edge of our lower patio....  it's in deep shade so the plan is to plant hostas and ferns....   anyone had experience of those plants in DEEP shade?? do they still grow ok? or am i throwing good money away... 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Countryfox said:

I know sod all about artificial grass but was asked for advice on it ..  I know it’s come on in leaps and bounds but still looks fairly unreal to me ..  anyone know much about it or had it installed ?? 

I don't know much about it, but just be aware if you have pets or little ones, it can reach some serious temperatures in the Sun so may want to avoid bare feet on the hottest of days. 

• Like 2

On 22/03/2023 at 17:54, Countryfox said:

I know sod all about artificial grass but was asked for advice on it ..  I know it’s come on in leaps and bounds but still looks fairly unreal to me ..  anyone know much about it or had it installed ?? 

It depends on how much you want to spend on it, the better priced stuff does look pretty good tbf.

We had a small patch of it in our back garden at our old house. 

It was partially covered which benefits from overheating in hot weather. Looks nice all year round and easy to clean and maintain.

Downside was when sunlight is directly on it can be unbearable underfoot so be careful with pets and small children.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raj said:

Anyone replaced turf?

We've had a 9ft x 9ft trampoline  for years and the lawn below is now dead.

Screenshot_20230327-180058_Gallery.jpg

Put down seed and in 4-6 weeks it will be sorted. The easiest is the aqua gel coated seeds, but I would still recommend watering most days to ensure it germinates.

14 minutes ago, kenny said:

Put down seed and in 4-6 weeks it will be sorted. The easiest is the aqua gel coated seeds, but I would still recommend watering most days to ensure it germinates.

Thank you.

Seeds will work okay you reckon?

What about fertiliser,compost etc prior?

18 minutes ago, Raj said:

Thank you.

Seeds will work okay you reckon?

What about fertiliser,compost etc prior?

I don't bother, the ground looks good to me. You could use some lawn fertilizer but I suspect that it will be more fruitful once the seed has taken.

If you sprinkle some compost over the seeds it helps to keep them damp while they germinate but it's not essential.

We laid new lawns using seed and just sprinkled direct onto the soil. We did water it 3 times a day to make sure it took though as it was very hot at the time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

I don't bother, the ground looks good to me. You could use some lawn fertilizer but I suspect that it will be more fruitful once the seed has taken.

If you sprinkle some compost over the seeds it helps to keep them damp while they germinate but it's not essential.

We laid new lawns using seed and just sprinkled direct onto the soil. We did water it 3 times a day to make sure it took though as it was very hot at the time.

Top man. Thank you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Agree with just raking and seed. We've just extended the lawn area, added some seeds last autumn and its all blended in nicely now. 

Bit of top soil and water every day and you're golden. Consider some netting if you have pets/lots of birds in the garden. 

On 22/03/2023 at 13:54, Countryfox said:

On 23/03/2023 at 15:03, Spudulike said:

My advice is just don't. It's not environmentally friendly and just horrible stuff. My ex-next door neighbour runs an artificial lawn company so covered his garden (after raising the level without planning permission) with it so that he can showcase it on his website. He's since sold up and moved leaving the new occupiers with it. I hate it. 

there’s now an environmentally friendly paint/dye some people have started using on their brown  sorry looking grass. It’s a plant extract coloring and supposedly makes your grass look plush, green and healthy. Find it a bit weird myself but has to be better than artificial ‘grass’

24 minutes ago, MPH said:

there’s now an environmentally friendly paint/dye some people have started using on their brown  sorry looking grass. It’s a plant extract coloring and supposedly makes your grass look plush, green and healthy. Find it a bit weird myself but has to be better than artificial ‘grass’

Definitely in the real grass camp here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Even good enough for World Cup pitches... 

https://news.com.au/sport/football/world-cup/brazil-spray-paints-the-field-in-manaus-green-ahead-of-the-fifa-world-cup-match-between-england-and-italy/news-story/d300d5dd84999b0cf69c5815aa0cc1ab

• Like 2

On 23/03/2023 at 01:54, Countryfox said:

Awful idea.  Horrible plastic nightmare.  Boo.  Should be banned.

• Like 1